PDA

View Full Version : Going to My First Meet!... YIKES

jswim
May 4th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Ok, I'm 31 and I swam I think one freestyle relay before in my life during high school... I have recently found a coach here to swim with, and I'm going to my first meet on Saturday..

I'm a bit nervous...

I have NO IDEA what events to swim.. I don't know if I'll be a better distance or sprint swimmer, but I'd like to try maybe a middle distance, and an IM.. (I really like IMs ;) )

I know i'll be slow, but I'm looking at this as having some starting times to work on.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what events I might try for my first time out?

Jeanette..:rolleyes:

Jeff Commings
May 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Think about what strokes and distances you enjoy doing in workout.

Do you like doing the sprints? Do you enjoy backstroke more than butterfly? You said you enjoy IMs. I'd start with the 100 IM, if it's offered. The 400 IM is way too hard for someone starting out.

As you get used to the meet format and what you enjoy swimming, then you can branch out and try other events to see how you can handle them. Hey, you might find that the 400 IM is right up your alley!

Seagurl51
May 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Jeanette,

GOOD LUCK AT YOUR MEET!! You're going to do awesome! I know exactly what you're feeling. February was my first ever! I had a blast. As far as picking events go, I justed picked stuff I liked. I also asked my friend who coaches me on occasion, so ask your coach. They will know your strong and weak points and probably offer some excellent insight.

Good Luck again at your meet!! Remember to have fun!!! Let us know how it goes!

~Kyra

h2osmiley
May 4th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Swim what you are comfortable with.....as Jeff was saying, pick a stroke and/or distance that you feel confident in. Doing a 100 IM would be a pretty good event to start with.

Whatever you decide to swim, know that you will do well, and most importantly, keep a smile on your face and have fun with it!

jswim
May 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM
ok.. thanks for the tips!
My coach said to enter as many as I could and that I can always scratch as long as I let them know beforehand..

I think I'll try the 100 IM for sure, and perhaps some sprints and middle distance free.. (maybe a 50 fly.. hee hee)

I'm excited but nervous! I know i'll have fun though..

Thanks again!
Jeanette.

SwiminONandON
May 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Every meet (and I mean EVERY meet) I have one event where I totally freak out and want to scratch. I've never scratched. I always tell myself that I can just swim it easy, and that I'll be happier with myself if I do it. Then I dive in and the competitive juices take over.

GOOD LUCK! Swim a few different types of events (ie, one stroke, one IM, one short distance free, and one mid to long distance free) then you'll have a good idea of how each feels to race and where your strengths lie. I'm sure you'll be great! The more meets you go to the more relaxed you'll become!

GOOD LUCK!

jswim
May 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
ok, one more question then...

The one meet I was in during high school, I believe my goggles rolled down to my chin as I dove in.. It was ridiculous! lol.. I was swimming my hardest and couldn't see very well, I felt like a total bozo, and I know I looked like one!

I have one opportunity tonight at practice to try going off the blocks with them on, that is, if the Y will let me because they are always covered. :(

Should I just scratch the goggles all together, or is there some "swimmers trick" to diving in that I don't know about?

thanks for the encouragement by the way.. it's GREATLY appreciated.. you guys all rock!

J.

SwiminONandON
May 5th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Keep your head down, chin to chest. Your goggles should be tighter than they are in practice. Pull them real tight. Press them to your face. Keep your head down on your start!!!!

SwiminONandON
May 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM
You'll be great! I was totally freaked out for my first meet. The best advice I got was to just have fun. If you have fun you will swim well. You are doing this for fun, so relax, and enjoy yourself.

Let us know how it all goes!

bda721
May 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I just participated in my first masters swim meet last weekend. My advice to you is to also pay attention to what they are announcing. I missed them saying that they would combine the first two heats in my first event, fortunately they still let me swim. Then, somehow I messed up the heats for the 50 free and swam in the fastest heat for that event, and then I swam the 100 fly immediately after that. I was smoked! My advice would be to limit yourself to only the events that you feel comfortable swimming and listen to what is going on around you.

jswim
May 6th, 2005, 11:40 AM
yikes! ... thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for sure! lol...

My coach was telling me last night to also pay attention to the event that they're annouoncing while you're on the block.. He said sometimes when you're in a bunch of events it's easy to forget which one your doing at the moment! lol...

He added.. if that happens, just take an extra long glide and see what everyone else is doing :p

I'm excited! I think it will be fun.
Thanks for the support, I'll let you know how it turns out!
J.

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Get a good pen and write down your event, heat number and lane number on the back of your hand. I do this every meet. I also get behind the blocks or as close as I can near the blocks as soon as the first heat starts, that way I know I won't miss my heat (unless you are in the first heat in which case I recommend getting there as soon as that event starts.

Also make sure you COOL DOWN after EVERY event!

jswim
May 6th, 2005, 01:22 PM
great ideas!
thanks .. will do!
J.