PDA

View Full Version : Recently Got Videotaped and Morified by my appearance

tjrpatt
May 4th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I just got my video of filming that I got done to get advice of my strokes. Of course, there were alot of things that I need to work. The main thing is that I was morified by how fat I looked. I am glad that I got the filming to get advice but it is hard to watch it because I look so fat.

Well, this is a good wake up call that I need to get back in shape and really get my training in gear because I really didn't do it this last 6 months. I would go three weeks without any dry land and could go weeks where I only swim three times a week.

scyfreestyler
May 5th, 2005, 12:12 AM
While I am anything but fat, I have put on a few pounds in the last week due to limited swimming. This problem will only get worse in the coming weeks as I am undertaking some home improvement projects that will keep me out of the pool for at least two weeks. Well, maybe if I am lucky I can sneak away sometime during the weekend and bust out a quick mile. Good luck with your stroke improvement and what ever other improvements you decide to make. :)

swimpastor
May 5th, 2005, 09:16 AM
All right ladies. We guys make jokes about you ladies, mimicking your "does this dress make my butt look bigger?" lines, but Lord knows (and you see) that we do it too.

By the way, if you have the cameraman start the video when you are already in the water, you won't look nearly as big. (lol)

geochuck
May 5th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Film sometimes fools you, you look fatter than you are. I don't have that problem I don't have to look at a film. I am well constucted. I prefer to call myself pleasingly plump.

George

SwiminONandON
May 5th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I opened this thread thinking, yeah when I taped my 200IM (or rather had it taped, because I am not that talented YET) I watched the breaststroke leg and thought good LORD! It was actually a good thing because I realized I didn't finish my kick. So lesson learned, and my fly was much better looking than I thought it would be. Who knew!?

Donna
May 5th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I had a very similar exprience recently. My fly actually looks good but the first thing my eyes were drawn to were the thunderthighs! Those will be gone by next year.

I just remind myself that I have already lost 20 pound because of swimming and the rest will come off in time, just keep putting in the work and eat smart. This summer will be a concentated effort for me since I am not much of a long coarse swimming. Got to have my turns!;)

jswim
May 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
I opened this thread thinking, yeah when I taped my 200IM (or rather had it taped, because I am not that talented YET) I watched the breaststroke leg and thought good LORD! It was actually a good thing because I realized I didn't finish my kick. So lesson learned, and my fly was much better looking than I thought it would be. Who knew!?

lol, C'mon.. You mean to say you can't tape yourself and swim your strokes at the same time? HA!... and you call yourself a swimmer...;)

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I borrowed my dad's camcorder and actually was told, just don't break it, or drop in the water ...

:rolleyes:

You'd think I was 8 years old again ...

jswim
May 6th, 2005, 04:23 PM
yeah.. I get that from my dad as well from time to time still with various things.

I think it's the parental instincts that never die!

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM
As for my appearance in a suit, I thought ... wow, that chick is HOT! Oh that's me! Wow, I'm hot, what a smokin' bod! ;)

geochuck
May 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I was working this morning with a tri athlete, he said had been working out following the book TI.

I observed him first, from the end of the pool, front and back, then from the side of the pool both sides. I was acting like a video camera. The only thing I liked about his stroke was his shoulder flexability. The rest not good. He was doing 20 strokes per length, was over kicking, doing catch up stroke and was really excited about how he had brought his stroke count down. He took for ever to complete a length.

He wanted to correct every thing in 30 minutes. I have a list of 21 errors in his stroke but there is more. I told him we would only work on one or two per workout. We worked on his crossover stroke, his finish and when his arms exited at the finish. Next time I go with him I will film him.

George

Matt S
May 6th, 2005, 10:34 PM
OK, let's take on the "fat" issue head on. Pay no attention to photos and video tapes of yourself. We have all been brain-washed by the popular media into accepting as "normal" bodies that are so unreal they border on science fiction.

Don't believe me? Let's review the bidding, shall we, about the people on the covers of popular magazines. In what ways are they...unrepresentative of most of us. First, they are the top 0.05% of the population in terms of physical attractiveness. They all look like movie stars because they are selected from a pool of such people. You and I do not look like movie stars. We could wear a tuxedo and look frumpy standing next to one of them wearing a potato sack. Second, they are younger than us; 'nuff said. Third, they are professional eye candy and they work on their bodies and their looks during all that time in the day when the rest of us are doing OUR JOBS!! Fourth, professional make up and fashion consultants work them over. Fifth, professional photography. I cannot emphasize enough how much an air brush can turn a decent photo into a lifelike cartoon that represents what the person really looks like about as well as "A Connecticut Rabbit in King Arthur's Court" represents the Middle Ages.

But, but, but...what about older celebrities that still look great? OK, let's talk about Cher or Piers Brosnan. What advantages have they lost since their younger years? They are still part of the 0.05% of the population that looks like a movie star naturally; they are still professional eye candy; they still benefit from professional wardrobe, make-up, and photography. Anyone see the magazine cover with Sharon Stone on it last month? You know, the one that makes her look so domestic, "ooh, aah, look what a perfect suburban mom Sharon is since she gave up making R-rated action films." (And also notice how much of our estimation of success is based on appearances.) Does anyone actually believe a woman in her mid-late 40s has a face that smooth?! WHO YOU JIVIN"?!

Liberate yourself from the tyranny of the picture or the mirror. It is not a good measure. Deal with the fact a 40 year old body looks like a 40 year old body. Use more functional measures instead. How's your pulse, your blood pressure, your blood chemistry? What's your body fat? Do you have any health issues that could benefit from losing a little weight? How's your diet? Could you eat a little more of the healthy stuff, and a little less of the unhealthy stuff, and not feel like you have taken a vow of starvation? We obsess a lot about how we look in the mirror. When was the last time we had a medical check up to see if we had a real health issue that perhaps could lead to a more targeted treatment?

Just asking,
Matt

tjrpatt
May 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Liberate yourself from the tyranny of the picture or the mirror. It is not a good measure. Deal with the fact a 40 year old body looks like a 40 year old body. Use more functional measures instead. How's your pulse, your blood pressure, your blood chemistry? What's your body fat? Do you have any health issues that could benefit from losing a little weight? How's your diet? Could you eat a little more of the healthy stuff, and a little less of the unhealthy stuff, and not feel like you have taken a vow of starvation? We obsess a lot about how we look in the mirror. When was the last time we had a medical check up to see if we had a real health issue that perhaps could lead to a more targeted treatment?

Just asking,
Matt [/B][/QUOTE]

I realize that the camera adds 10 pounds because it doesn't lie when you see back fat and a little saggy skin. I probably do need to eat better and just work out more than I have been doing. This filming just showed what is going wrong with my body. Plus, most celebrities have so much surgery done and their pictures are so touched up it is insane. Guys gets spray on abs.

I have to say that there was so amazing feddback on this issue.

breastroker
May 7th, 2005, 09:10 AM
In a recent clinic, all the women were mortified at how the underwater camera caught their flesh moving. Many times the legs looked like jello, and these women were not fat. Did not see it on the men, but I am sure it happens to some extent.

I would guess that this rippling effect would slow them down.

That is why women and older men love the full body suits and the compression offered by these suits.:p

ande
May 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
i think the rippling does slow people down.

ande

Originally posted by breastroker
In a recent clinic, all the women were mortified at how the underwater camera caught their flesh moving. Many times the legs looked like jello, and these women were not fat. Did not see it on the men, but I am sure it happens to some extent.

I would guess that this rippling effect would slow them down.

That is why women and older men love the full body suits and the compression offered by these suits.:p

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I don't understand people's obsession with their size! I wonder if maybe this isn't one of the most entered items in these threads.

mattson
May 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ande
i think the rippling does slow people down.

I remember watching Ron (one of the faster freestylers around) one practice, and after his turn (during the pushoff) you could see the skin below his shoulder blades rippling. (Although he is in better shape now, he was not in bad shape then.)

That got me thinking about getting a better streamline off the walls, and a stronger pushoff. :)