PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat ON meet day?

RayT
May 6th, 2005, 01:30 AM
What do you eat ON meet day? I have head that .banana・ to sprinters is like spinach to Popeye the sailor, is that true?

Thank you.

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM
You'll have to try different things out. I personally eat almost NOTHING maybe a power bar on the drive. I'll grab a bite of a power bar and a handful of soynuts here and there if I have some time between events. I need to swim on a pretty empty stomach.

I have teammates that eat donuts before races, drink pop during, etc. you have to figure out what works for you.

gull
May 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
A latte (180 degrees of course) and a banana, later a bagel with peanut butter and a sports drink. Don't try anything new or unfamiliar on the day of a meet.

hrietz
May 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM
If I am anticipating a long meet day and having to skip lunch, I eat an enormous breakfast. I'll have french toast or pancakes with scrambled eggs, orange juice and coffee. I eat this at least two hours before my race. If I am racing early (8 a.m.) I modify this a little bit because of time constraints. There have been times when I have felt hungry going up to the blocks. Needless to say those weren't my best swims...During the meet I drink a sports drink by Advocare, nibble on Power bars and consume a couple of Power gels. After I am done swimming for the day I use a recovery drink by Advocare and try to get a complete meal within a couple of hours. This is what works for me -it has taken quite a bit of trial and error to get to this point...

shoalsswimmer
May 6th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Everyone has their own "system' and what works for them may not work for you. Usually the night before, I'll load up on a few carbs - pasta or something (don't really know if it works but it has become a sort of ritual). It does take some time to develop your own menu so to speak. Don't try too many new things at once for fear of potential stomach upset

The day of depends on when I am swimming. Early morning starts I may have a bagel, some juice, coffee and fruit. Later starts - bigger breakfast of eggs, bacon, waffles, etc.

To the meet (for now) I always carry 4 power bars (2 choc/2 peanut butter). I don't eat them all but have extra in case someone else wants one. 2 banannas, 1 apple maybe an orange, 2 gatorades (usually green). 2-3 Red Bulls and a couple of waters. I'll put some ice in a ziplock baggie to keep it all cold. All of this fits nicely into a soft pack cooler.

At most meets they have water and gatorade, powerade and such at no charge. Just take along some things you know you can handle.

Fishgrrl
May 6th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I'm usually too nervous to eat very much, but it's always the same thing: oatmeal with non-fat milk and a piece of wheat toast with peanutbutter and honey.

During the day I'll eat bananas, more PB, and drink lots of water. Unlike Heather, I actually have to have a somewhat full stomach or I will bonk big time!

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 04:23 PM
If I eat too much I'll be in the bathroom and miss my events. I grab a handful here and there but I can't really eat much. Once the meet is over, watch out I eat like a horse.

jswim
May 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM
don't know about meets, but with practices, I need to have a little something in me to get me through or I feel a bit shakey afterwards.
However, when I'm done with practice, better not get your hand near my mouth or you might lose a finger!:eek:

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah I have a teammate with only 9 fingers for that exact reason, I tried to warn him ...

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Eggs with toast or some grain early in the morning.
Low fat, protein and carb mix.

During the meet I drink low-fat or non-fat vanilla flavored soy milk. Most of them are about 50/50 carb/protein, quickly and easily digestable, no yucky aftertaste when you work very hard.

Balanced dinner, often fish and rice. Last day of the multi-day meet I have a ittle bigger dinner, extra serving of protein.

geochuck
May 7th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Fishgrrl
I'm usually too nervous to eat very much, but it's always the same thing: oatmeal with non-fat milk and a piece of wheat toast with peanutbutter and honey.

During the day I'll eat bananas, more PB, and drink lots of water. Unlike Heather, I actually have to have a somewhat full stomach or I will bonk big time!
Two slices of bread, butter layered on, peanut butter heaped on, strawberry preserves dripping down the sides, and a banana on top. The perfect meal and if there is any left over pizza in the fridge that is even better. After all we should have a a balanced meal of protien, fat and carbs

George

ande
May 8th, 2005, 01:42 AM
it doesn't really matter
your body is running on what you ate a day or two ago

i eat light for AM swims

ande

Originally posted by RayT
What do you eat ON meet day? I have head that .banana・ to sprinters is like spinach to Popeye the sailor, is that true?

Thank you.

RayT
May 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Thank you so much for your inputs.

So I was wondering what the source of your protein is on the meet day?! Eggs or meat or ???

thisgirl13
May 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Something I've used since I was a little age groupie (and still swear by to this day).

It's called the 3BG + H2O.

Bagels, Bananas, Beef (jerky), and gatorade. Mix in a little water (to balance out the Gatorade), and you're good to go. A little carb, a little protein, and some potassium (plus, bananas taste good).

Some of my teammates play "substitute". One guy prefers apples to bananas, and another eats granola bars and sports water instead of gatorade and bagels, but that's the general formula.

I think it's mostly a trick my mom used to use to try and make me eat right, while all my other age-groupie friends were eating junk food and stuff at meets, but you do what works, right?????

Maryyyyyy
May 8th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I went to a meet in Piombino today. Had to leave Florence at 7am, so all I had before departure was coffee and fruit juice. More coffee on the way. Did my personal best at 50meter free (33.05!!) :D and ate a banana and drank gatorade afterward to celebrate.

On the way home my friend accidently put regular gas in her diesel car :eek: so we ate a sandwich at a freeway snackshop, got the car towed to Livorno (Leghorn) and took a train home to Florence :rolleyes:

Right now I'm making myself pasta with gorgonzola cheese and a salad.

George - what do you think of chicken liver pate'? Just wondering because it's my favorite and I'm hoping you'll tell me it's some kind of super food that will make me super-strong!!

Time to eat...
Mary