PDA

View Full Version : Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Ok, not really ... it's Friday! Yeah! I'm bored at work and these boards are boring. I need me some entertainment ... last week I came up with the astonshingly successful Soap Opera thread ... this week for your reading and writing pleasure I bring you ... hmmm ... I really don't have any good ideas currently ... things that have generated many response lately seem to revolved around relationships, politics and the like ...

Relationships ... Advice you'd like to offer the youngun's of your gender, advice to the opposite gender, advice to your current or future spose/partner ... etc.

Ok, for my gender (females) I say RELAX! Get some self-confidence, if you don't have it, fake it until you do. No one can tell the difference.

For the opposite gender, a$$ holes are NOT cool. Be nice, girls will dig you more for that. OH, and if you like a girl CALL her for cryin' out loud! Don't follow the "rules" just call!

Future husband ... haha ... hope you like a challenging and fiesty girl. Act an equal as opposed to a subbordinate (sp?) or superior and we'll be ok. And flowers go a long way!

Fishgrrl
May 6th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Oh boy...you asked for it! ;)

GUYS - please call us when you say you will - we love that. If you're not interested, just say so, but don't leave us hanging - that totally sucks.

GIRLS - learn how to change a flat tire and check your oil. Buy bras that fit. Always have a little black dress in your closet - you never know when you'll need it for a funeral or a cocktail party. Learn to listen to your gut. Don't sit at home waiting for his call - get out of the house! There's always another guy who WILL call you.

ANYONE - wear sunscreen and floss. Don't open beer bottles with your teeth. To avoid a terrible hangover, drink clear alcohol (like vodka) instead of colored alcohol (like tequila). Don't tell anyone anything that you don't want repeated - it's human nature to gossip. The phrase "what comes around, goes around" is true in general, at least in my experience.

Just my .02...I'll write more as it comes to mind...

Karen Duggan
May 6th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Kari,

Is that your two hundredths or two cents? :p

As a swimmer I could have used two hundredths once or twice!

Fishgrrl
May 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Karen - it can be my two hundredths!!

(sigh) yeah...I hear ya....;)

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 04:21 PM
yeah ... I could have used 2 hundreths (really 4) a few weeks ago ... oh well

More advice, GIRLS - buy clothes that are your size, don't worry about what size the tag says, buy the jeans you can zip up ... and please if your belly hangs over massively go a size (or four) up!

Guys - you'd be amazed at how hot you look in Adidas pants and a t-shirt

Seagurl51
May 6th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I love you girls!

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM
And Kyra, we love you too!

Love, Keather/Kaitlin

Seagurl51
May 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I love when you do stuff like this. Being young (no offense) it's great to have advice from people who know the ropes!! I can't wait for the cast party!!

SwiminONandON
May 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I would love to tell people going off to college ...

have fun! It's a REALLY fast four years. It'll be over before you know it. Go out and party, stay in and study. Usually you won't regret either. Balancing is good. Get your stuff done so you can enjoy your friends. Have multiple groups of friends. Grades aren't life, you won't be defined by your GPA. (of course if you are trying to get into med school, law school, grad school you'll need a decent GPA) Basically as Dave Matthews said, "Eat. Drink. Be merry."

Some of the best times I had were the nights I didn't want to go out.

Take a variety of classes.

Seagurl51
May 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I think that's the first time anyone has ever told me to go and party! You Rock!!!

Heidi
May 6th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I've made some big gambles in life and won most of the time. Life can be safe, but it's not as much fun that way. If there is something you want to do, do it, somewhere you want to go, go. I'm a big proponent of, "No guts, no glory."

Scansy
May 6th, 2005, 10:23 PM
If it feels good go with it!:)

h2osmiley
May 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM
have fun! It's a REALLY fast four years. It'll be over before you know it.

You got that right Heather! I think that I managed to fit a lot in those 4 years, but now that is has been four years since I graduated, those college years seemed to have blended into one in my mind....

My thoughts:

Be flexible and try new things...even if it scares you. Overcoming fears is the best way, I think, to build your self confidence. Besides, trying something crazy pretty much guarantees some good stories later....

Don't waste your time and energy with people who aren't genuine and real. Luckily for us, I think swimmers are about as real as they come! :cool:

swimr4life
May 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
I would love to tell people going off to college ...

have fun! It's a REALLY fast four years. It'll be over before you know it. Go out and party, stay in and study. Usually you won't regret either. Balancing is good. Get your stuff done so you can enjoy your friends. Have multiple groups of friends. Grades aren't life, you won't be defined by your GPA. (of course if you are trying to get into med school, law school, grad school you'll need a decent GPA) Basically as Dave Matthews said, "Eat. Drink. Be merry."

Some of the best times I had were the nights I didn't want to go out.

Take a variety of classes.

So true!! I wish I had not worried so much about making good grades. The memories of good times and the friendships made were the BEST part of my college education. Study hard, PLAY HARDER! :)

Seagurl51
May 7th, 2005, 03:53 PM
This is some of the best advice as far as school goes that I've ever heard. I love it!!

I'm going away to school for the first time this coming fall, it's nice to hear people say it's okay to party. (especially since I'm transferring to a notorious party school.)

Scansy
May 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
In another thread about what would you do over I said I would not get married so young. It applies here too. I was married during the summer before my last year at Penn State. I was engaged for the entire next to last year - and helping to plan a wedding.

Because of this, I missed a lot of the fun of just hanging out in college. And then I was divorced within two years of graduation.

College is about growing up.... some. But remain a kid some too. Don't get into serious trouble and don't fail. But don't grow up too much too soon. It is something I really regret - I can never get those two years back. :(

But as I said in that other thread, it is all good now. I'm in my mid 30's, great wife, two (mostly) good sons and a daughter on the way. (She will be the last!) And you guys too!:)

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Gift advice for men ...

Jewlery is not always the answer, nice but not always the answer ... flowers are always good, a cd she wanted, a book ... no need to break the bank ... and if she says you don't have to get me anything for my birthday she is probably lying ... at LEAST get a nice card and some flowers (nothing over the top)

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM
By the same token ...
Girls, if you say I don't want anything for your birthday/anniversary/Christmas, etc ... don't expect anything!!! Guys are not mind readers.

Sonic Swimmer78
May 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Agreed. We are not mind readers.

Girls: Don't speak "Code" with guys, it only causes problems. If you're wanting something special for an anniversary, birthday, or Christmas, it's best if you got to the point. "Book" doesn't necessarily mean "Diamond Ring" because we're not going to know that.

Alex
May 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Fishgrrl
Oh boy...you asked for it! ;)

GUYS - please call us when you say you will - we love that. If you're not interested, just say so, but don't leave us hanging - that totally sucks.

GIRLS - learn how to change a flat tire and check your oil. Buy bras that fit. Always have a little black dress in your closet - you never know when you'll need it for a funeral or a cocktail party. Learn to listen to your gut. Don't sit at home waiting for his call - get out of the house! There's always another guy who WILL call you.

ANYONE - wear sunscreen and floss. Don't open beer bottles with your teeth. To avoid a terrible hangover, drink clear alcohol (like vodka) instead of colored alcohol (like tequila). Don't tell anyone anything that you don't want repeated - it's human nature to gossip. The phrase "what comes around, goes around" is true in general, at least in my experience.

Just my .02...I'll write more as it comes to mind...

As I know quite a bit about Tequila, let me tell you that there are a lot of different Tequilas, rested (kind of yellow), white (transparent as vodka), blue; and also many different kind of qualities, and the quality of each is in deed very much related with the kind of hang over you may get; and I also can tell you that you will experience basically the same hangover with vodka than with Tequila, but this depend much in each person, some may got a very bad hangover with one glass of red wine and non with eight shots of tequila (as in my case). although I do not recomend to get more than three shots of tequila of any kind.

And do never mix Tequila and water (drinking and swimming).

Fishgrrl
May 9th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Alex - too true!! I've had gut rot tequila and very smooth, high quality stuff. Have you heard of sangrita (not to be confused with sangria)? I had a couple of shots of nice tequila last week and was given a shot of sangrita and told to sip it after you take a sip of tequila. Very interesting.

Alex
May 9th, 2005, 06:06 PM
There are also as many kinds of sangritas as different Tequilas in the market (do not know much about this market in the US). But Sangrita is supposed to be drink only with Tequila.

Sangrita is a kind of tomato juice with different kind of spices, depending sometimes on the bar tender.

When I mix Tequila and Sangrita I prefer those Sangritas that have shrimp souce and Tabasco souce on it.

Scansy
May 9th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Ugh, tequila. Can't stand the stuff. Although I can usually be talked into a shot or two when I am already drunk.

Usually, it turns out bad though.:(

Alex
May 9th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I used to think the same, but after a while I started to enjoy it and like it. Bad idea to mix it with other alcohol drinks although.

SwiminONandON
May 10th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Saw a study that shows that alcohol is alcohol and it doesn't matter if you drink the hard stuff then move to beer/wine or the other way around ...

Also really good tequilla (and I mean the good homemade stuff/brewery version from Mexico) typically doesn't give you a hangover

Tom Ellison
May 10th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Quote: "Also really good tequilla (and I mean the good homemade stuff/brewery version from Mexico) typically doesn't give you a hangover."

Nope is sure doesn't....Dead folks never get headaches....
:D

Karen Duggan
May 10th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Had some bad college experiences with tequila (ta kill ya), but nothing was worse than Jagermeister. I can't even smell it today without wanting to hurl!

Ah, the old days... :p

Alex
May 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Heather:

My experience and many other friends special studies can not be wrong, we have had many parties with only one kind of drink, and the next day result in not as bad as when we run out of a type of drink and move to another, although beer can be a Tequila chaser.

I really do not know much about home made Tequila, as it is only made in very small towns, but there are different kind of home made drinks similar to Tequila that you can find and get even in large cities in Mexico, they are meant to be drink in a very small quantity (two shots at the most).

I regulary do not drink as much as to get a hangover.:cool:

SwiminONandON
May 10th, 2005, 11:37 AM
yeah ... tequila shots and college seem to go together well ... jager too ... I don't seem to have an aversion to any liquour (which is truly amazing) though I did slam down an obscene number of rum and cokes one day and the next day I couldn't stand the thought of coke (actually diet coke) and I couldn't drink any caffiene or pop or diet coke for the next two weeks ...