PDA

View Full Version : SWIMMER issue 2

Allen Stark
May 7th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I just got the second issue of SWIMMER and it's even better than the first. I was dubious about starting our own mag. but it seems to be working. As a bonus the new improved SWIMMING WORLD is better than it was.

valhallan
May 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I give Bill and company two thumbs up for a great start. It's got to be a challenge to cater to both newbies and veterans in keeping the reading interesting.

As a suggestion....

It would be interesting to have a feature in each issue focusing on random local masters clubs from different parts of the country. The column could be about size of the club and facility, ...what kind of workouts they do, ...number of top ten swimmers etc. The "club of the month" would be informative in terms of sharing places to swim, aside from seeing how other teams run their programs.

Kae1
May 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I'm also quite happy with the new mag. The only thing that I think would be a little more beneficial is additional workouts, with suggestions on how they might be modified for greater/lesser ability. It's great to see what some of the top Masters swimmers are doing at practice, but some of us aren't quite there yet and would still like to try workouts inspired by the best swimmers and coaches out there (especially us that train w/out a coach).

Thanks,
Kae

Karen Duggan
May 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Great job, Bill.

I sent you a personal e-mail :)

That was my suggestion, too, awhile ago, to focus on a club for each issue, or an LMSC or something. For example, I didn't know Red Tide was in New York until recently...

Again, your hard work is paying off and we are all benefitting :)

kernow
May 11th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I thought that it was better than the first issue, so I'm encouraged (I wasn't too crazy about the premier issue).

jswim
May 12th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Hi,
I just joined USMS towards the end of April, but haven't received my magazine as of yet. I was wondering if there is a lag time for the first issue, or do they normally get here soon?

Also, is it a quarterly mailing, or a monthly mailing etc??

thanks,
Jeanette.

michaelmoore
May 12th, 2005, 08:08 PM
The Magazine is published every other month. The current edition is the May/June (which I have not yet received).

If you registered in April, you will not get you first copy until the July/August edition.

michael

hrietz
May 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Allen Stark
I just got the second issue of SWIMMER and it's even better than the first. I was dubious about starting our own mag. but it seems to be working. As a bonus the new improved SWIMMING WORLD is better than it was.

I agree Allen on both counts. I really like the new SWIMMING WORLD as well.

jean sterling
May 27th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Here is my suggestion for a magazine article: stretching. I am very lax about stretching. partly because I don't know what to do. I would appreciate a short stretching routine that perhaps should be done every day. I need to be looser!

Thanks.

FindingMyInnerFish
May 27th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I just joined also, so I assume I won't get the current issue. Can a person buy single issues of the magazine at bookstores or newstands? Or is it available only online?

scyfreestyler
May 27th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Does the current issue have any articles relating to weight loss?

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 330man
Does the current issue have any articles relating to weight loss?
Funny! I think it is amazing how consumed so many people are about losing weight. What I don't understand is what were they thinking about as they gained the weight in the beginning?

michaelmoore
May 28th, 2005, 01:33 PM
What I don't understand is what were they thinking about as they gained the weight in the beginning?

We were enjoying the cheese cake. carpe diem

michael

scyfreestyler
May 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Funny! I think it is amazing how consumed so many people are about losing weight. What I don't understand is what were they thinking about as they gained the weight in the beginning? I am not interested in losing any weight, 6-0 165#'s thank you very much, but an excerpt from one of my posts was to be used in such an article of USMS Magazine.

Nancy Ridout
May 31st, 2005, 12:03 AM
If you joined USMS after April 1st, and would like a copy of the magazine, call or email the USMS National Office, 1-800-550-SWIM (7946) or usms@usms.org . We get extra copies and Tracy will be happy to send one to you.

Nancy

nkace
May 31st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for posting this info. I think that I just received only 1 issue & not sure if I missed the 1st issue. I love the magazine~thx.

FindingMyInnerFish
May 31st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Nancy Ridout
If you joined USMS after April 1st, and would like a copy of the magazine, call or email the USMS National Office, 1-800-550-SWIM (7946) or usms@usms.org . We get extra copies and Tracy will be happy to send one to you.

Nancy

Thanks from me too! I just sent an e-mail to the address that you listed. Appreciate your help!