PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mother's Day!

Seagurl51
May 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms on this site! Make sure you go and get in a special workout!!

swimr4life
May 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM
My special workout was relaxing in the sun today!! It got up to 88 degrees here !! Woo hoo!

I hope all the mother's had a relaxing day filled with lots of hugs!!
Motherhood....It's the best, most rewarding job in the world!!

Karen Duggan
May 8th, 2005, 08:47 PM
My husband had to work today, so I the kids and I went on an adventure. They saw the Kentucky Derby highlights last night and wanted to go to a horse race. So we did! I'd never been to one before.

We drove about an hour each way to Bay Meadows, learned how to bet and all the lingo, bet on and watched two races, had lunch and came home :)

It was a great Mother's Day.

By the way, we picked the winner in both of our races. Bummer we only bet $2 so we got $5.60- beats the alternative :p The best part was watching the kids excitement as the horses were saddled and when the starting music started (I think it's a trumpet). A lot of fun :)

Kari
May 8th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Ditto what Kyra said! Happy Mother's Day to all you swimming moms out there!!

Hope you had a great day. :)

Scansy
May 9th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
My husband had to work today, so I the kids and I went on an adventure. They saw the Kentucky Derby highlights last night and wanted to go to a horse race. So we did! I'd never been to one before.

We drove about an hour each way to Bay Meadows, learned how to bet and all the lingo, bet on and watched two races, had lunch and came home :)

It was a great Mother's Day.

By the way, we picked the winner in both of our races. Bummer we only bet $2 so we got $5.60- beats the alternative :p The best part was watching the kids excitement as the horses were saddled and when the starting music started (I think it's a trumpet). A lot of fun :)

The great American tradition - teach the kids to gamble on Mother's Day!!!;)

Karen Duggan
May 9th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Scansy,

I just e-mailed you on the other thread about horse racing.

You might appreciate this: So, we're at the races and Patrick (PJ) who's 5 says, "I can't wait to tell Ms. Freddie (pre-school teacher) that we went to the horse race and won!"

I laughed at the thought of him saying that and her thinking, "Nice, she's takin' her 5 year old to bet on the ponies!"
Somehow it seemed much more innocent yesterday :p

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Karen, my parents took me to the racetrack at a young age ... I only spent a year in Gamblers Anonymous ...

Seagurl51
May 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
I only spent a year in Gamblers Anonymous ...

Compulsive gamblers unite!!

Texas Hold 'Em is my game of choice.

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM
No don't suck me back into a life of gambling, prostution, and alcohol ...

Seagurl51
May 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I'll try....but no promises.;)

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
wow, I can't spel for anything ... ;)

Seriously, my parents did take me to the race track when I was little I loved it, I think my dad tried to teach me a math lesson about odds and what not (same dad that gave me algebra problems when I was 8 on the drive to our cottage). Anyway ... I am not damaged (at least I don't attribute it to that)

And Kyra, Texas Hold 'em is great ...

Seagurl51
May 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Seriously, my parents did take me to the race track when I was little I loved it, I think my dad tried to teach me a math lesson about odds and what not (same dad that gave me algebra problems when I was 8 on the drive to our cottage). Anyway ... I am not damaged (at least I don't attribute it to that)

Math on vacation...that's cruel and unusual punishment. I think that would damage anyone;) . I've never been to the track, but I think it would be fun.....until I lost all my money....like I said...complusive gambler.

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I've actually decided that when I go to Vegas I can't gamble b/c I'm too competitive and I would lose all my money, then go into debt and get my legs broken by some huge muscle bound meat head named tiny ... not good ...

Seagurl51
May 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I've actually decided that when I go to Vegas I can't gamble b/c I'm too competitive and I would lose all my money, then go into debt and get my legs broken by some huge muscle bound meat head named tiny ... not good ...

Same here. I have/had gambling issues (been clean for a little over a year now). I know that sounds really silly since I'm like 19. I've forbidden myself from every going to Vegas, unless I only take one card that is linked to one account and once it's gone it's gone.

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Oh Kyra!

Yeah, I don't think Vegas would be a good place for me if I'm not sitting by (or likely swimming in) the pool ...

Scansy
May 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Karen, my parents took me and my sister to the track several times growing up. Heck, I even brought money of my own (maybe $10 or so) and had them place bets for me!

Of course, I now stand around the end of my lane in the pool and just stare at the women....:eek:

Mark in MD
May 9th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Scansy
... Of course, I now stand around the end of my lane in the pool and just stare at the women....:eek:

Now you've gone and spilled the beans. Now we know what you really do in Lane x.

Seagurl51
May 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Heather-- Don't worry...all's good now. I never had to borrow money to pay people (granted it did take me awhile sometimes to pay up though) and I only wasted my own money on gambling. I never really thought that I had a problem until I looked at the gamblers anonymous site...asked myself the 20 questions and answered yes to 8 of them (if you answer yes to 6 or more you need to think about help). That helped me realize that I really did have issues and helped me stop...especially nice I had just started winning most the time too.:D It was nice to beat the boys though.;)

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I love beating boys at things ... makes me happy ...

Seagurl51
May 9th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I love beating boys at things ... makes me happy ...

Especially when you start with about 75 cents and end up with about $5. And the other girls playing are trying to bet batteries.:D

Scansy
May 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Mark in MD
Now you've gone and spilled the beans. Now we know what you really do in Lane x.

You don't think I actually swim do you?

Believe me, if you saw my backstroke, you would know I don't swim!

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM
lol ... backstrokers are Krazy, too!

Mark in MD
May 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Scansy
You don't think I actually swim do you?

Believe me, if you saw my backstroke, you would know I don't swim! Can't be any worse than my breastroke. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Scansy
May 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Mark in MD
Can't be any worse than my breastroke. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

OK you're on. 100 yards. You do breast, I do back.

Then, when we're done we can laugh together!;)