PDA

View Full Version : Swimming - Gothenburg and Stockholm Sweden

cjolsen
May 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM
We're going to be in Sweden the latter part of June. I was wondering if anyone has been there and what the opportunities for swimming workouts are.

I've heard that the water around Stockholm is very clean and really not that cold in the summer. Are there some good places where I can get some good open water workouts?

Are there any 50m pools in either Stockholm or Gothenburg that are open to the public? I suspect that there are, but I don't read Swedish, so I'm not sure.

Thanks.

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 11:41 AM
You can't read Sweedish? Why not? ;)

Maryyyyyy
May 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM
The 10th European Championships will be held in the Stockholm area August 16-21, 2005. You can find out a lot of information on Masters swimming on the website:

10th European Championships 2005 (www.emc2005.se )

There are very nice locations for open-water swimming, both fresh and salt water.

There are several 50 meter pools.

You can also contact:

Sören Stegius
International Events
Swedish Swimming Federation
soren.stegius@simforbundet.se

Buon nuoto!
Mary

Matthias
May 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Well, you won't find many outdoor pools in Sweden. It's usually quite cold up there so that you will find indoor training more preferable. Even in the swedish summer it sometimes not get warmer than it gets in spring in other countries. Only outdoor facility maybe the sea but it will be much too cold for swimming I guess.
However there is only one 50m facility in Stockholm I know. It's the Eriksdalbadet. But it's usually very crowded so I prefer to go to the 25m pools (there are about 10 SCM pools around) when I am in town. But sometimes I prefere the LCM challenge (don't have a LCM facility where I live) but then I try to go around the middle of the day finding it is less crowded.

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 10th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by cjolsen
I've heard that the water around Stockholm is very clean and really not that cold in the summer. Are there some good places where I can get some good open water workouts?

Remember, although the water can be clean, Stockholm is a major port city. there are many ships in the port. also, I don't think anyone would build an outdoor pool because of how long the winter weather can stick around. Also, even in the summer it would take a lot of energy to heat the water because of the temperature drop during the night. I've only been there once and don't remember ever seeing a pool or a notice of a pool or even people talking about swimming even when I told them I swam.

BESIDES NORWAY IS MUCH PRETTIER!!!!