PDA

View Full Version : swim chute workout needed

RayT
May 10th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Please share with your swim chute workout, if any.

Thank you.

thinkersw1
May 12th, 2005, 12:20 AM
What is a swim chute? If I understood what you meant, I would be might be able to help you.

geochuck
May 12th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I guess you want to practice leaving the water (swim chute)

Race simulation swim sessions are a great way to prepare for the race season. This is an ideal time to develop an efficient race day warm up. Here is a sample session for an Olympic distance race simulation.
-> 5 min easy swimming with 3-5 x 10 second pickups.
-> 5 min standing on beach to simulate race meeting before start.
-> Sprint into water and swim 500 meters (250m out around a buoy and back), and finish with a run 30m up the beach.
-> Rest 3 minutes, and repeat swim sequence 2 more times.
-> End session with 3-5 min. easy swimming, and taking wetsuit off as you would in transition.
Total workout time is 35 to 40 minutes.

George

geochuck
May 12th, 2005, 07:48 AM
RayT

In order to get the most out of your open water forays, you need to conduct an honest needs assessment of your open water swim skills. These may include the following questions:
1. Are you over anxious at the swim start?
2. Does starting the race with many other swimmers in close quarters create anxiety?
3. How well do you run into the water and exit the swim chute?
4. How are your swim drafting skills?
5. Do you find yourself zig-zagging around the course?
6. Are you comfortable breathing on both sides?

George

Rob Copeland
May 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I assumed Raymond was asking about the Swim Chutes that are small parachutes attached to the swimmer; a similar concept to a drag suit, only with a LOT more resistance.

Iíve used them a couple of times in workouts, however Iím not a big fan, because they tend to slow my tempo and besides Iím swimming slow enough with my own personal resistance. I much prefer surgical tubing for resistance swim training; Iím able to keep my tempo up and I get a free ride on the return 25.

One place where a swim chute may come in handy is for those fast folks who get stuck in slow circle lanes (as addressed in many other threads). The extra 20-30 seconds per hundred may be enough to keep you from lapping the dry hairs as often.

I know that George will believe he means the getting out after the swim and running the chute to get on the bike. But how do you make this into a workout??????? Sprint a 100, jump out of the pool then run around the pool deck. Repeat. Some workout? I wish he would get back and let us know.

geochuck
May 15th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Rob

I do believe he means the getting out after the swim and running the chute to get on the bike??? I wish he would get back and let us know.

When exiting the water you are usually a little wobbly and the swim chute exit must be practiced. For example do a beach start run to do an open water swim, out and back about 200 y or m each way, when you hit shallow water you stand up get ballanced and run in the shallow water onto the beach. Then run to the bike (find out how far the run is I have seen the bikes up to 400 m from the swim area), if you have a wet suit on you get it off while running and get rid of it, then put on the shoes for the ride. rest 3 min. and do this 4 times.

Guvnah
May 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Hmmm... And when I read the initial question, a swim flume is what came to mind for me...

geochuck
May 18th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Guvnah
Hmmm... And when I read the initial question, a swim flume is what came to mind for me... Swim flumes are great fun you can see one here http://www.acourt.co.nz/home/H00281.htm#streamlinz

RayT
May 18th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Hi pros, here. Sorry for being absent as the Internet trunk here in a small town in Taiwan is broken.

The 'swim chute' is a parachute-like fastened to swimmer°¶s waist when you are doing resistance training.

http://www.swim2000.com/product.php?pd_id=S-109&PHPSESSID=614c40abfa74a40fe417eabbdac54d9e

Over the Internet, I have heard that this kind of chute can be a great tool so I am very interested in learning the detailed workout if someone here has used it before.

Thank you for your contributions.

geochuck
May 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Oh! the resistance chute. They have been used by swimmers and track athletes, Flip turns can be used while wearing them, a lot of sprint swimmers have used them. I guess they would be fine for distance swimmers also. Here is another site that sells them http://www.kytec.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=K&Category_Code=RSFC and you can see some other uses.

Rob Copeland
May 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Ray,

Since youíre not getting a lot of feedback, Iíll chime in again. And as I mentioned before Iím not a big fan.

The times Iíve used swim chutes I found the strap somewhat interfered with my freestyle kick. And for some reason it tended to drop my hips, possibly because of where the chute hangs behind and down in the water.

The local age group team infrequently uses chutes and buckets for sprint resistance swims (sets of 25ís and 50ís) or as punishment (200 fly with a bucket is not a fun swim).

My understanding of the value of chutes training was to increase strength by adding resistance, somewhat similar to pulling with paddles. However, the Swim Resistance Chute site states ďThe Swim Chute can actually increase your range of motion and flexibilityĒ so I guess I must be doing something wrong.

TomBrooklyn
October 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
One place where a swim chute may come in handy is for those fast folks who get stuck in slow circle lanes (as addressed in many other threads).
Sounds like a good idea if they don't throw off your form. That's what I'm wondering about.

TomBrooklyn
October 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
What is a swim chute?

StrechCordz Drag Belt / Tow Tether

Unique design provides resistance with drag chute (provided), or with bucket (not included). Designed for resistance training for long swims. Drag chute is compatible with flip turns. Drag chute is available in two sizes: 8Ē (20cm) or 12Ē (30cm) chute. Please specify size when ordering.

(S109-8), (S109-12)...$25.95

http://www.nzmfg.com/Pages/StrechWater2.html

pwolf66
October 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
as punishment (200 fly with a bucket is not a fun swim).

Oh (or OW) My God,

That brings up very painful memories.

Bucket swims <shudder>

Paul