PDA

View Full Version : First Swim meet

jswim
May 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Okay,
so I got about 3 hours sleep (i was a bit excited) heh heh.. like a kid on Christmas Eve!... then got up at 6:15.. WAAAAAY too early, and my loving fiancee drove me to the meet and stuck by me the whole time..he's the best!

Everyone was fabulous.. it was totally laid back, and I found my swimming abilities lay somewhere in the middle of the "pack". I had a lot of fun, and will definately go to another when I can, to see if I could improve my times!...

Actually one guy gave me a very nice compliment on my streamline off the start which made me feel very good! He also said he was surprised to see me in the sprint events cause he thought I'd make a good distance swimmer based on my stroke and timing during warmup.. :) perhaps I'll try that next, but I do love the IM's, and I'm actually starting to LIKE Breaststroke!!!

I didn't have the greatest times, and I got disqualified on the 100 IM because I didn't know there was no legal flip turn from backstroke to breaststroke.. oops.. but I can only go up from there! I'm not sure what the exact times were, because they haven't been posted on the website as of yet, but I'm anxious to see it..
Thanks for all the encouragement before the meet, I'm so glad I went!!!

Jeanette.

SwiminONandON
May 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Congrats! Meets are learning experiences. Glad you had fun and enjoyed yourself! Great job.

Alex
May 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Jeanette:

I still remember my first meet, it was also very exciting at the begining, but not as fun as yours as my times were way bellow the others.

After the second event I realized I was not good enough to catch the others swimmers for more than half of length.

Because I started to swim after I got married (my wife swims since she was four), my first meet showed me that swimming was very different from what I thought, as I considered myself very good at sports.

After 13 years that I have been swimming now I still feeling very excited before and now after a meet, although my times have improved a all lot, and I still think I can do better.

sibleyclan
May 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Congratulations on your first meet! I'm looking forward to mine in July.

As for your DQ, the rules state that after a legal touch (meaning on the back), "the swimmer may turn in any manner, but the shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the breastwhen the swimmer leaves the wall and the prescribed breaststroke form must be attained prior to the first arm stroke". Did they actually tell you a flip was illeagal? I mainly remember this because of discussions I've been in during officials briefings prior to meets I've worked that my kids swim in.

SwiminONandON
May 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM
When going from backstroke to breaststroke the swimmer must touch the wall on their back and take off on their stomach. You can touch the wall with one hand and then flip, but you must touch the wall with one hand first.

MegSmath
May 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Actually, you can touch with one hand, two hands, your head, whatever, as long as you're on your back. After you've performed a legal finish, you can flip to get onto your breast, or do an open turn. The key thing about the IM is that you have to do a legal finish after each leg. For back, that means touching while on the back.

jswim
May 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM
no they didn't say that a flip of any sort was wrong, but they did say I needed to touch the wall while on my back.. I did a backstroke flip turn thing.. I turned to my stomach just before the wall, then did a regular flip turn into breast...oops.

Alex, I know what you mean about the swimming.. I have always been good at sports, and often would be one of the better players on a team without too much effort... When I started lap swimming, (i've done water sports all my life), I always thought I'd had a pretty good feel for the water, but when I started with masters and saw how slow I was, how much I had to struggle to keep up with everyone, and then how long it takes to improve times etc.... I was a little taken aback!

I received a whole new appreciation for swimming when I was up against people who were really good! Now I'm striving to get better and be the best I can.. (my competitive streak wouldn't let me do anything less!).