PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Chesapeake Bay swim

Francesco
May 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Any advice on navigation or strategy for the 4.4 bay swim?
I have done races of 1.2 and 2.4 but nothing this long.
#1 goal: to finish
#2 goal :<2hours
Any suggestions from those who have done the race are appreciated.

Kevin in MD
May 10th, 2005, 05:45 PM
The race director will give you the lowdown before the start regarding tides etc.

In general, at the race start the tide will push you fro one side to the other, somewhere midway the tide reverses and starts pushing you the other way. Your job is to stay between the spans of the bridge. Get swept out from between the spans and you'll be DQd.

The main problem you might have are the islands for the pylons. You don't want to be anywhere near them. As the tide encounters the islands the water has to move around it. Meaning that if you approach one of them you will be encountering some strong currents. Strong currents that push you backward. The way to avoid it is to be far away from the islands. Mind you, the tide will be pushing you toward the islands.

I think there are two actual islands for pylons, the other pylons are just pylons no island. I also think they are only on the south side of the bridge. So you'll only encounter them on an outgoing tide. You see them about 2 miles in I guess.

Other than that, do your best to stay in the middle of the spans.

Francesco
May 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks Kevin,
I will definitely stay away from the islands

Leonard Jansen
May 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM
When you come out from the bridge spans, heading into the finish, realize that you have no small distance (maybe 400-600 yards, I forget) left to go.

The first time I did it, I thought that the finish was quite close to the end of the bridge spans. WRONG.

The good news is that it is protected from the current, so you don't have to fight that anymore, at least.

-LBJ