PDA

View Full Version : So if you were really stranded on a deserted island

SwiminONandON
May 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM
The Gilligan's Island thread (aka the soap opera thread) got me thinking ... If you were really stranded on a deserted island what five items would you bring with you (no cell phone reception so smart arse's don't try)

SwiminONandON
May 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I'd bring:
1 - a lighter
2 - good shoes (good as in well made running shoes not Manholo's)
3 - goggles
4 - a Swiss army knife
5 - rubber bands

Seagurl51
May 10th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I'd bring---

1) a survival expert
2) a trunk of designer clothing
3) a knife
4) a tarp
5) a magnifying (sp) glass

Jeff Commings
May 10th, 2005, 06:21 PM
1. An iPod filled to the brim with music

2. Matches

3. A hat

4. A water filtration system (in case there's no fresh water)

5. A knife

jswim
May 10th, 2005, 06:23 PM
oohhh... a survival expert niiiiiice!....

I'd bring.. (a survival expert if I had thought of it, but since I didn't....)

1) flint

2) a detailed book on edible wild plants of the region....

3) A leatherman (multi-purpose tool), not a man made of leather, though that could be interesting. ;)

4) a Tent... I can't stand being eaten by mosquitos.....

5) a DELUX First Aid Kit.

Guvnah
May 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM
If you come prepared with selected items, are you really "stranded"?

I would bring a genie in a bottle loaded up with the full three wishes. :)

ande
May 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
a satellite phone

1) a great tent with mosquito netting,
2) fishing spear and gogs
3) the ultimate swiss army knife including fire starter
4) teva's
5) a large duffle bag containing nylon clothes, my favorite type of hat, jammers

Originally posted by SwiminONandON
The Gilligan's Island thread (aka the soap opera thread) got me thinking ... If you were really stranded on a deserted island what five items would you bring with you (no cell phone reception so smart arse's don't try)

Matt S
May 10th, 2005, 08:09 PM
1) The Boy Scout Manual (lots of outsdoorsey survival advice).
2) Flint & steel (I liked the magnifying glass, but what if it's cloudy? Matches & lighters run out.)
3) Tubing and other hardware to make a still (no, not that. You need a renewable way to make fresh water. But, it does have dual-use possibilities...)
4) The aforesaid swiss army knife.
5) A box of flares, rockets, something that makes a really spectacular visual and thermal image, FAST, if you spot a potential rescue craft near your island.

Matt

thisgirl13
May 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM
oops :(

thisgirl13
May 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM
1. Sunblock (cuz what's the fun of living on the beach if you get sunburnt??)

2. a machete (forget the knife, if I'm in danger, I want something I can use to stab people without having to breathe on them, thank you very much)

3. a CB radio so I can radio for help (hey, if we get to plan on being stranded, I'm going to plan on getting off the damn island!)

4. A large container of Chinese lo mein (because one container will last you for days, no matter what)

5. a plastic tarp, cheesecloth, and a big tin can (my own version of a water filtration system)

Ande and jswim - if mosquitos are the biggest problem on YOUR island, can I come be stranded with you? :p Cuz I'm thinking mine has lecherous natives.

Kyra - I like the survival expert! And possibly, he could be strong, and handsome, and very attracted to me......hey, girl's stranded on an island, she needs something to keep her mind off it!

Seagurl51
May 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by thisgirl13

Kyra - I like the survival expert! And possibly, he could be strong, and handsome, and very attracted to me......hey, girl's stranded on an island, she needs something to keep her mind off it!

Duh...of course he is!

Karen Duggan
May 10th, 2005, 11:48 PM
A handsome survival expert that is also a maseusse! Who knows when I'll be rescued! Hell, who wants to be rescued? :p

Karen Duggan
May 10th, 2005, 11:57 PM
1. surfboard... my island is Oahu!

2. a herd of cattle... I like steak.

3. two beautiful women... one to help me repopulate Oahu, the other to get up with all those damn kids at night so I can still work on repopulating Oahu with the first one

*having covered surfing, food, and sex there doesn't need to be a 4 or a 5;

4. but what the heck, the entire Ginsu knife set

5. flint and steel, I was a Boy Scout when I was younger :)

Patrick Duggan

***see what I have to live with?! :p -Karen

Scansy
May 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Ginger - no Marianne - no Ginger - Marianne.....

Aw shucks, I don't want to offend either of them by choosing so I'll take them both.

And I will need someone else to talk to. I'll take Mr. Moose because it would be like having a whole village to talk to!:p

aquageek
May 11th, 2005, 08:27 AM
1. Beer

2. Hottie

3. Protection

4. Steak

5. A chef

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM
People are another category entirely ... you get three other people (separate from the items)

waves101
May 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM
1) fresh water
2) food
3) shelter
4) clothing
5) a car door (in case it gets hot, I can roll down the window and feel the island breezes).

ande
May 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
karen,

he's just hoping to help repopulate for the sake of the human race and to have more workers.

Originally posted by Karen Duggan
3. two beautiful women... one to help me repopulate Oahu, the other to get up with all those damn kids at night so I can still work on repopulating Oahu with the first one
Patrick Duggan
***see what I have to live with?! :p -Karen

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM
People are another category entirely ... you get three other people (separate from the items)

We get people too!!! YES!! In that case I want these pepole stranded with me:

1) You cuz you're awesome
2) Michael Phelps
3) umm....my dog

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Awh, thanks Kyra ...

:D

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 11:09 AM
of course now I'm expecting to be allowed on your island.;)

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
You can join me, Aaron, and ... hmm ... Perhaps Ian Thong ... ;)

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Sounds good...when do we leave?

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Somehow I think being stranded on a deserted island was suppose to be a bad thing ... hmm ... I'll start packing, since I only get to bring five items it shouldn't take long ...

Ok, done!

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
1. Any one of a zillion beautiful female swimmers......
2. Few Doz. Cases of Corona....
3. Spear gun with flippers, snorkle, goggles....(Dive set up)....
4. Tent with mosquito netting....
5. Phillis Diller.....so I can keep everything in perspective....

Karen Duggan
May 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
So, does Tom get to pick 6 people? He's already got Tom, Ralph, and Mr. Moose (and I don't know who 'the gang' is yet).

Man, Tom's all set to set up a resort on his island :p

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Karen....what's scary...neither do we....!:)

Karen Duggan
May 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
:p

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah, scratch Ian Thong, I'm taking Tom and the gang on my island ..

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM
That a girl Heather....Door one, door two..or door three....
Come on down....

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM
;) :)

Scansy
May 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM
You know.... if you have Tom there, you could meet a new and exciting person (or animal) every day!

mattson
May 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
One science professor would start his lecture by "if you were stranded on a desert island...", to explain why we didn't just plug numbers into a computer simulation. (In science classes, you try to build up intuition, so you can make a quick, sorta-accurate guess without going into too much detail. This is often called a "back of the envelope" calculation.)

Well, one day we got to synchrotron radiation. So naturally, he said "if you were stranded on a desert island with a multi-million dollar circular particle accelerator...". That was soon followed up with being on a desert island with a 2 mile long linac.

Karen Duggan
May 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Mark, we need to get you a significant other! :p

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Paul...and on a good day....maybe even three or four....Gosh, soon I'll have both A&B relay team all in house....

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM
much love to Tom & the gang ... they would provide all the entertainment I needed ... well that Aaron is there for some entertainment ;)

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Mark:
The Linac Particle Accelerator currently in use at RPI in Troy, NY actually turned Ralph into Mr. Moose....and that was right before Tom bacame Schrodingers Cat.

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Can we have a science/math/engineering thread where all you math/science/engineers can talk about those things ...

I majored in history to avoid taking math (among other things)

Swimmy
May 11th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I want Ian Thong, if you don't want him!
Perhaps we can all have neighboring islands. We can swim over and visit each other.....share supplies!
Swimmy :)

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 05:30 PM
You know....I heard of this project in the tropics where their building islands (Pretty cool...from the air it looks like the world). We can all just buy the islands and then accidentally strand ourselves there.

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 05:34 PM
hmm ... wonder if Aaron would want to be stranded with me ... hmmm ...

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Of course he would cuz Michael's on the neighboring island. It's nice to have friends close by. Besides...tropics, hot girl...who wouldn't want to be stranded.

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Wow, Kyra, you are definitely on my island! You rock!

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I try.:p

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM
We don't have a Skipper yet ... or a Mr. Howell, or will Patrick take that role Karen?

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Kyra, much love to you for being awesome. I'll swim over and visit you and Michael any time ... I'm bringing my googles afterall ... Aaron better bring some goggles and his surf board, can you think of a better time to learn?

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 05:53 PM
You guys are most definately welcome on our island. We can have dinner parties! Everyone come to my island for a BBQ and margarita's!! Party on the island! WOOHOO!!!

SwiminONandON
May 11th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Are BBQ and Margaritas among your five items?

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Oh harsh you're making change my items now?!;)

In that case...get rid of the survival expert...the more I think about it the less I want to leave. And put in the BBQ instead. As for margiritas...I can make my own mix. I can just harvest different fruits and stuff. As for alcohol..what's the one with fermented potatos (I should know this seeing as I live in the potato capitol of the world)? Isn't it vodka? No one said you have to use tequila to make margiritas. So there...we're set now. And Patrick and Karen and Aquageek can bring the stuff to BBQ since they have the cows.

Party on dudes!

Karen Duggan
May 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Perhaps my swimming community could be in the islands? :)

Seagurl51
May 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Sounds good Karen. We'll just strand some coaches with us and be set.

Make sure that Michael and Aaron get the memo that they need to bring their coaches....but they live on different islands. They can have their own. The coaches that is.

SwiminONandON
May 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Really, what better place to put a swimming community than on a set of islands.

Kyra, I'll let Aaron know ;)

Seagurl51
May 12th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Yea, I'll remind Michael too the next time I talk to him.:D

Well, I would love to stay and chat all day with you guys, but my flight for my island leaves in about an hour. See you guys in the sun! Hope you all can make my beach party!!!

SwiminONandON
May 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
See ya' there Kyra ...

I think we need to be able to bring 5 people since we are brining five items ... must think now ...

Seagurl51
May 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM
We get more people! WooHoo!!

In that case I want:

1) Heather
2) Michael
3) Kari
4) Karen
5) my dog

SwiminONandON
May 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
hmm ... this was suppose to be easier ...

I guess ... Aaron, Kyra, Karen, Tom, and ... (Kari has been MIA so she's off the list ;) ) Ian Thong! ;) (when she reappears Kari MIGHT be added)

Karen Duggan
May 13th, 2005, 01:37 AM
You know I think Aaron Peirsol looks a little out of shape lately. I volunteer to help with some general conditioning :p (Shh, don't tell Pat :p ) Although he'd jump at the chance to condition Pamela Anderson!

I was just thinking does that kind of conditioning accompany a special shampoo (from the past)?

SwiminONandON
May 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Back off Karen, Aaron Peirsol is mine! I don't share well either! ;)

My guess is that Thorpe really does need conditioning though ...

Karen Duggan
May 14th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Nah, Ian Thong doesn't really do it for me (in any way!).

However, "Bring it on missy! I'll fight you for Aaron."

Actually, you can have him for backstroke purposes, I'll show him some breaststroke :p

Seagurl51
May 14th, 2005, 10:13 PM
"SMACKDOWN: SWIM CHICKS DUKE IT OUT FOR TEXAS HOTTIE"

Karen Duggan
May 14th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Isn't he from Southern California? I thought he hailed from Orange County...

...hell, I don't care if he's from Pluto!

Scansy
May 15th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
"SMACKDOWN: SWIM CHICKS DUKE IT OUT FOR TEXAS HOTTIE"

Heeeeeyyyyy! Chiiiiiiick Fiiiiiiiight!:D

Seagurl51
May 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Well he's in Texas now.:p That counts.

Apparently Scansy has front row seats.;)

SwiminONandON
May 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM
You're on Karen. He is originally a SoCal boy, but swims for Texas now.

It's on! ;)

Seagurl51
May 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
And now prepare yourselves for twelve rounds of middle weight boooxing action!! In the left corner hailing from the windy city...Heather! *crowd cheers* And in the right corner, coming from the sunny beaches of California....Karen! *crowd cheers*

*ding ding ding*

"Shake hands ladies and let the boxing begin"

*CROWD GOES WILD!!*

Karen Duggan
May 15th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I don't know how to box!

I was thinking, for Tom, Scansy and the fellas, of female mud wrestling for 12 rounds followed by the 1650 :p

Seagurl51
May 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM
There you go! What was I thinking...I'm involved in the Contender, my mind was on boxing...we're having a swim off!!

Scansy
May 16th, 2005, 05:02 AM
I don't know how to box!

I was thinking, for Tom, Scansy and the fellas, of female mud wrestling for 12 rounds followed by the 1650 :p

No mud, use jello please!;)

Tom Ellison
May 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Mr.Moose is a gentleman....so...rather then degrade woman with the 1650...He suggested we just have the Mud Wrestling....:p

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM
As the 1650 is your event, and definitely not mine ... I say we stick to Jello wrestling followed by all out 50s on 1:00 whoever can hold the best average wins!

Karen Duggan
May 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Ooh, sprinting, in the words of Indiana Jones, "Now, you're getting nasty."

Perhaps I might offer a compromise: 500? IM? (hee hee) :)

Cherry flavor Jello ;)

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM
hmm ... 500IM does as 5 x100 IM or as a straight 500? Nawh, too long for me ... think 100 IM (sans breaststroke)

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Darn it, now I want to eat Jello ...

Seagurl51
May 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM
You guys are making this too easy. IM sans breaststroke c'mon! If you're gonna have an all out fight I say 200 breaststroke!! Let the battle begin!!

Or....swim in a Jello pool.

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 02:58 PM
It doesn't make sense to swim breaststroke as Aaron is not a breaststroker (reportedly hates and sucks at it, though sucks is relative) ...

Karen Duggan
May 16th, 2005, 03:16 PM
200 breast? (what's YOUR time?)

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM
lol, my time for a 200 breast would probably clock in around an hour ... not my best stroke ... You are probably faster than me at everystroke at every distance ... Must train hard to win Aaron!

Seagurl51
May 16th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Must train hard to win Aaron!

Hence, do breaststroke. You gotta make it a challenge. :p Or make him swim breaststroke...each pick a time and who ever is closer wins.

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 03:35 PM
hmmm ... Aaron, breaststroke ... hmmm ... ;)

ande
May 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I saw Aaron this morning
eddie had them working pretty hard.

ande

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Ande, out of utter curiosity, what are their typical workouts like time, yardage, and average set? Or at least do you know any of the sets they swim?

Karen Duggan
May 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Ande,

Can you send him COD? Heather will pay :p

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 05:31 PM
roflol ... HELLS YEAH I WOULD!

Karen Duggan
May 16th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Hmm, $1.50/pound times 185ish- Heather do you need to see a man about a loan? :)

I don't think my husband will appreciate my spending that much on prime rib!

SwiminONandON
May 16th, 2005, 05:35 PM
See Karen, I win, b/c I am willing to spend that much! :D

Scansy
May 16th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Hmm, $1.50/pound times 185ish- Heather do you need to see a man about a loan? :)

I don't think my husband will appreciate my spending that much on prime rib!

ROFLMAO. Prime Rib?? That is genuinely funny.:D

Karen Duggan
May 16th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I figured out LOL which I mistakenly thought was "lots of laughs" (I know, I know it's laugh out loud!) and BTW (by the way), but what is ROFL and ROFLMAO?

A little assistance for myself that rides that little yellow school bus!

matysekj
May 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Karen,

See http://www.urbandictionary.com/ It has everything I think I'd ever need to look up. YMMV

Scansy
May 16th, 2005, 09:14 PM
LOL = laugh out loud
ROFL = rolling on floor laughing
ROFLMAO = rolling on floor laughing my a** off

:cool:

Seagurl51
May 16th, 2005, 11:43 PM
That urban dictionary site is cool. You kids and your crazy new lingo!:p

Karen Duggan
May 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I'm at work and the Internet filtering will not let me into that site! It must be good :)

Heather,

Ande's working on a present for you, from me. I'll let you know how it's coming :p

SwiminONandON
May 17th, 2005, 05:40 PM
hmmm ... is it about 6 + feet tall and answer to the name Aaron?