PDA

View Full Version : Wht is 'scrunch scull'?

RayT
May 11th, 2005, 12:43 AM
2nd paragraph to the link below¡Kin, under ¡¥TRAINING CONSIDERATIONS¡¦, could someone please give more explanation for ¡¥scrunch drill¡¦ :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry for English is not my mother tongue...

http://www.breaststroke.info/salobreast.htm

QTE
¡K
we have developed a drill called Scrunch Scull. In this drill, swimmers are poised in a vertical position, head and shoulders out of the water. Knees are bent and held in front of the chest, with the heels positioned below the hips. The swimmer then performs a breaststroke pull forward, with the elbows held in a high position, not pulling the elbows back. The blades sweep across the knees and extension forward is carried out with high velocity. This drill carries significant aerobic factors as well as specific training for the breaststroke pull.
¡K
UNQTE

Thank you very much for your assistance.

jswim
May 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Well, I wish I could explain the drill better for you, but i'm having trouble figuring out exactly what it means as well.. I guess there were no illustrations to help visualize huh....?

Perhaps an internet search on "breaststroke Scrunch drill"
will help find a better explanation?

It's tough to explain a drill like that without illustrations..

sorry i'm not much help, but it sounds like an interesting drill nonetheless, as I would like to better my breaststroke too..
J.

Jeff Commings
May 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Sounds like swimming breaststroke vertically, without the kick. Imagine sitting on your heels on a floor. Now swim breaststroke.

I think that's just about what the drill is. Seems difficult if you have a tendency to sink.

jswim
May 11th, 2005, 02:43 PM
aha.. yeah it does sound difficult..

so I'm guessing you just keep your knees bent and swim only using your arms? Isn't that sort of like pulling w/out a pull buoy?

Mary
May 11th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Hi,
We used to do this drill when I was a kid-- only then we called it chair breaststroke. To start, you position your body like you are sitting in a chair. Then, bring your knees up to perform an ab crunch. Finally, scull or swim breaststroke while maintaining this position. It is very slow and you need to have a fairly strong to scull to make much forward progress. I remember that people would stop in the middle of the 50 meter pool to rest and say that they prefered lounge chair breaststroke.

RayT
May 18th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Thanks, Mary.

Sorry for late reply, as the Internet trunk is broken here for quite sometime.

Were you knees just below your chin? Where did you put your heels? Did you do a MINI PULL instead of a regular breast pull? Furthermore, anything related to this drill?

Thank you very much.

RayT
May 18th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Thanks, Mary.

Sorry for late reply, as the Internet trunk is broken here for quite sometime.

Were you knees just below your chin? Where did you put your heels? Did you do a MINI PULL instead of a regular breast pull? Furthermore, anything related to this drill?

Thank you very much.