PDA

View Full Version : The wager

Paul Smith
May 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
In case some of you have not picked up on the subtle "jabs" from the Evil-Goodsmith....I thought you should all be filled in on a littel wager taking place at this years nationals.

Two of the more "decorated" alums of the swimming world (John Smith & Bobby Patten are going head to head in every freestyle event; 50, 100, 200, 500 & the 1000 in the 40-44 age group, with some serious bragging rights on the line (plus beer).

I would like to see some odds placed and wagers taken as we all watch in this spectacle of raw speed (Smith) vs. Distance elite (Patten) take place.

The true meeting should fall on the 500 where I predict rabbitt Smith will attempt to blow out the first 200 (I'm guessing around 1:49) and hang on for dear life as the boa constrictor (Patten) begins to tighten the noose on th lactic acid filled legs of Evil-Goodsmith.

So who wins te 500? I'm guessing it will take a new national record (4:43 I think?)?

Who wins the overall bet?

Let the games begin!

ande
May 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
can't wait to see how things play out,

smith is coming down from altitude, which will only help,
smith has much more speed

patten's been doing the distance thing for years
smith could go out too hard and fall apart

beer is on the line

ande

TheGoodSmith
May 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM
First of all Evil Smith, this is a private wager between The University of Texas and SMU,..... two respectable schools of a now defunct Conference.

The way I see it, it's all about the first 8 lengths. These are truly the most important lengths of a 500 free. These are the lengths that truly show what you're made of.

The rest..... those are all just "filler".

John Smith

:)

Guvnah
May 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ande
can't wait to see how things play out,

smith is coming down from altitude, which will only help,
smith has much more speed

patten's been doing the distance thing for years
smith could go out too hard and fall apart

beer is on the line

ande

I don't know anything about either swimmer, but Ande's post caught my interest.

If the two guys are relatively close matches in capability, I would put my money on the guy coming down from altitude. (What is the difference in altitude between Smith's regular location and the meet?)

I know from personal experience that the first few days after dropping from approx 6000 feet to sea level, for instance, I can do long distances (500 or more) about 8-10% faster than normal (and the longer the distance the more pronounced the improvement.) Even a drop of 1000 feet makes a noticeable difference. (I find that I have somewhat sore shoulder and back muscles at the end of the day when I let myself work out at this faster pace.)

Therefore, if Smith goes out hard and tries to hold on as predicted, I would wager that he would have a good shot of succeeding with that strategy.

Swimmer Bill
May 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
My money's on Bobby Patten -- but only IF he's been training.

He's got a lot more speed than people realize.

He won the 50 fly (23.02) at 2000 Short Course Nationals in Indianapolis. At the same meet, he went 1:44.04 in the 200 and 4:41.30 in the 500.

So, if he's been training at the same level, he could definitely surprise people in the shorter events.

~SB