PDA

View Full Version : Brush with fame because of swimming stories

ande
May 12th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I thought it might be fun to share our "Brush with fame because of swimming" stories, below you'll find mine, please share yours

When I got married in 1987 my wife and I met went on a Carnival Cruise honeymoon to the bahama's. We were sitting by the pool on the ship, there was a couple beside us, a tall blonde woman and her husband. Debbie and Rick. Ends up she was a competitive swimmer in high school (she said she did the 50 in 23) So we started talking and really hit it off with them. We wound up hanging around them a lot and changed dining tables. Debbie told us that she worked for Doctor Arnold Klein in Beverly Hills and that she knew Michael Jackson. Debbie was smart witty and funny. At the end of the cruise we had such a good time that we exchanged addresses and phone numbers. In August 1987 my wife and I flew out to LA to visit them and see the town. They let us stay in their apartment for the weekend, Rick showed us around town on Friday. We went out to dinner each night. Saturday they loaned us one of their cars and let us drive around town, Beth and I went to Disneyland and Muscle Beach. We had a great time. The last time I spoke with Debbie was in 1991 and she told me that she and Rick had gotten a divorce. Needless to say I was floored when I read an article in 1996 that said Debbie was having Michael Jackson's baby.

I saw Debbie on TV last night and it doesn't look like she's been swimming much lately.

Ande

jswim
May 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM
:eek: lol... great story!..

I have to confess I don't have anything even CLOSE to contribute, but I'll be sure to let you all know if I do in the future!.

J.

ande
May 12th, 2005, 04:51 PM
please do
THis really happened, I decided to write it down the other day when she appeared at the trial.

ande

Originally posted by jswim
:eek: lol... great story!..

I have to confess I don't have anything even CLOSE to contribute, but I'll be sure to let you all know if I do in the future!.

J.

aronimink
July 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
I don't know if this is precisely the thrust of this thread, but speaking of fame and swimming, I have a question. Are any famous former or current Olympians active on this site? People like Mark Spitz, Gary Hall, Mary Meagher, or that current Olympian who is about 40 -- I can't recall her name right now.

orca1946
July 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I have my picture in the Daily Herald news paper in the Elgin , Il area doing fly ! An entire article was done on our Elgin Blue Wave swim team ! My daughter framed it for me . Thanx hon.

nhc
July 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Prince Albert of Monaco is engaged to a South African Olympic swimmer, who will become the Princess. Cool.

bzaks1424
July 10th, 2010, 11:39 PM
One of my former swim teachers from college (I received a large technical instruction in college, swim now in Masters 3-4 years later) actually ran into Michael Phelps during one of her daily jogs. She ended up going on a couple runs with him I guess. (That's as close as I get!)

swimshark
July 11th, 2010, 07:02 AM
One of my former swim teachers from college (I received a large technical instruction in college, swim now in Masters 3-4 years later) actually ran into Michael Phelps during one of her daily jogs. She ended up going on a couple runs with him I guess. (That's as close as I get!)

My trainer just got back from the USOC Training Center. She said shortly after she got there she was messing with her phone and almost walked right in to Michael Phelps. Guess we know were he is right now.

Lump
July 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Prince Albert of Monaco is engaged to a South African Olympic swimmer, who will become the Princess. Cool.

I met Prince Albert after a curse-laced tirade when I swam poorly in a 400 free. This was at a meet in Monte Carlo that we were invited to expense free on his dime for being runner up National Champs (Dynamo) in 1989. After people giving me the finger to the lips sign I turned around to see him standing right behind me.....all I could do was say "hello" and ask for a picture with him....which is now framed with my invite to his party after the meet.

philoswimmer
July 11th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I think this counts... when I was lifting weights in high school as part of my swim training, I used to work out at a gym where Bruce Springsteen also worked out. It was nice because no one bothered him or asked for autographs or anything like that. But one day both of us were waiting for the same machine, so we got to chat. :-) Probably my only brush with fame all together.

Bobinator
July 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I was Ron Artest's 1st grade daughter and 1st grade sister's (2 different girls) PE teacher! He used to come down to the gym every now and then when he was picking his daughter up from school. He was actually a pretty mellow and soft spoken guy during my encounters with him. This was before the Detroit altercation which lead to his demise in Indy.

shark
July 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I was attending the Southeastern Zone Meet back in the mid 80's. I was 18 and seeded first in the mile. I had a lifetime best but placed second to some 13 year old in the lane next to me named Jon Olsen. He smoked me bad. As I remember, he turned out to be a pretty good swimmer.

geochuck
July 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
This guy had been a swiimer as a kid.

We all have things that happen in our lives, Chance meetings with even notorious people. When I was a cop on the beat, I was standing at the corner of King and James Streets in Hamilton Ontario. I was in front of the United Cigar Store. A fellow that I had gone to school with came up to me and said "Hi George." I asked how he had been. I had not seen him for a couple of years. I had arrested him in the past for running a house of ill repute. He told me he had just arrived back in town. He told me he had left Calgary 6 months ago and had moved to Charlettown PEI. He told me that after a month in PEI things were getting to hot for him so came back to Hamilton. We said our goodbyes. The next morning when I went on duty I found out that he had been shoot in the back while running down an alley.

The guy who shot him had killed him because he did something to his wife. It was later found out that he was wanted in Calgary and Charlettown for Rape and a murder.

The grade school and high school I attended was full of guys and girls who ended up as Heroin Addicts, drug dealers, and a few murderers.

MickYoung
July 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I did a 2 1/4 mile "Race for Diabetes" across teal lake from Negaunee, MI to Ishpeming, MI two differnt years

The first time I was in shape and the water was warm. When I got out of the water, though, there was no line for me to cross and no one official to let me know I finished or anything. I basically ahd to interupt people in converstaion to ask where to find towels and Gatorade.

The next year that I swam that race, I was not in shape and the water was cold. It's in Michigan's upper peninsula and they know cold there. I think there might have been a little sleet during the race. I finished the 2+ hour "race" barely 48 seconds ahead of the sweeper kayak.

There was guy on the beach who shook my hand. I really liked that. Partly because I knew I was done, but mostly because his hands were warm (probably at least 98 degrees!)

I found out later that man was Mark Spitz. He didn't have black hair, nor a mustache, nor 4 gold medals hanging from his neck, so how was I to know?

Lump
July 13th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I was attending the Southeastern Zone Meet back in the mid 80's. I was 18 and seeded first in the mile. I had a lifetime best but placed second to some 13 year old in the lane next to me named Jon Olsen. He smoked me bad. As I remember, he turned out to be a pretty good swimmer.

LOL...I had the opportunity to swim next to him several times....never got a chance to see much more than feet, and even that was only a few seconds!

knelson
July 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
The grade school and high school I attended was full of guys and girls who ended up as Heroin Addicts, drug dealers, and a few murderers.

Sounds like my wife. She says all her grade school classmates are either dead or in prison.

ViveBene
July 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I did a 2 1/4 mile "Race for Diabetes" across teal lake from Negaunee, MI to Ishpeming, MI two differnt years

The first time I was in shape and the water was warm. When I got out of the water, though, there was no line for me to cross and no one official to let me know I finished or anything. I basically ahd to interupt people in converstaion to ask where to find towels and Gatorade.

The next year that I swam that race, I was not in shape and the water was cold. It's in Michigan's upper peninsula and they know cold there. I think there might have been a little sleet during the race. I finished the 2+ hour "race" barely 48 seconds ahead of the sweeper kayak.

There was guy on the beach who shook my hand. I really liked that. Partly because I knew I was done, but mostly because his hands were warm (probably at least 98 degrees!)

I found out later that man was Mark Spitz. He didn't have black hair, nor a mustache, nor 4 gold medals hanging from his neck, so how was I to know?

Thanks for the mini-review, and reminder!
The swim this year is July 31, and the special guest is Janet Evans.

MickYoung
July 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the mini-review, and reminder!

I might try to hold out for more than a handshake when I get out of that lake. Even if it isn't cold. Even if I'm not DFL.

Glenn
July 13th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I was lucky enough to attend the Golden Goggles Award dinner in Los Angeles last year, but the seat they assigned me to was in Siberia. However, shortly after I sat down, Janet Evans sat on one side of me and Brian Goodell on the other. Lucky me.

pwb
July 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=Glenn;220188...shortly after I sat down, Janet Evans sat on one side of me and Brian Goodell on the other. Lucky me.[/QUOTE]Two of my distance swimming heroes.

Chris Stevenson
July 13th, 2010, 11:37 PM

That reminds me: when she was on a recruiting trip to U of Florida, Janet Evans joined us at our masters practice at in Gainesville. That was pretty cool.

I guess she was less impressed with the college swimmers than with us, since she didn't become a Gator.

thewookiee
July 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
That reminds me: when she was on a recruiting trip to U of Florida, Janet Evans joined us at our masters practice at in Gainesville. That was pretty cool.

I guess she was less impressed with the college swimmers than with us, since she didn't become a Gator.

It wasn't the college swimmers, it was the college and location. :)

srcoyote
July 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
It wasn't the college swimmers, it was the college and location. :) I seem to remember she chose a good college in a good location. I met her briefly when one of my friends was trying to pick up her Mexican model room-mate.

Chris Stevenson
July 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM
It wasn't the college swimmers, it was the college and location. :)

Having lived in both Gainesville and Knoxville, I'll take the former any time.

But it IS true that Knoxville is much closer to Dollywood (http://www.dollywood.com/).

knelson
July 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I seem to remember she chose a good college in a good location.

Make that colleges. She spent two years at Stanford and two at Texas, if I recall correctly.

swimmj
July 14th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Make that colleges. She spent two years at Stanford and two at Texas, if I recall correctly.
Sounds right to me. She was on my swim team growing up, so I remember her as a 6 year old, often winning 8 and under races and in tears if she didn't PR. I'm quite a bit older, but my younger sister babysat for her and her 2 brothers. My dad still sees her dad regularly so I get to hear updates about her and her brothers. Nice family and all three of them were good kids and teammates.

gigi
July 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
In the early 70's I was at an AAU meet in Watertown, NY that had some masters events which my little buddies and I thought was just hilarious! Look at the old people swimming...hoooo hoooo hahaha! I get a taste of my own medicine when I go to my annual Bay State Games swims now, so the engine of karma is in full swing.

Anyway one of the masters swimmers was Buster Crabbe - a gigantic film star in his day - millions of westerns and tarzan and sci-fi movies. He was just another old guy to me, but the adults were agog.

And quite a dish in his younger day...see attached photo.

That's all I've got..that I can think of now, anyway

Maui Mike
July 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
gigi

My connect with Buster Crabbe was not so many years ago. I got a call asking if I could organize some guys to take an outrigger canoe off the Kihei, Maui coastline early the next morning to scatter some ashes, a service we provided free to any who asked. This was a no frills affair, no minister, no music, no flowers, with just a couple of people in attendance. Only after returning to the beach was I told that the "guest of honor" was Buster Crabbe.

__steve__
July 14th, 2010, 09:52 PM
This was several years before I started swimming (2005) but I met the Orange County Chopper gang at the hotel pool in Aruba.

Afternoons, the wife, kids, and I would hit the resort pool and hang out, and so would Paul Sr and Jr, and some others with him. We didn't plaster them with the behavior I figured fans might have with a celebrity present, just several polite conventional words each day and then my wife and I made an extra effort to ignore their presence. I figured since there weren't too many Americans there they were probably enjoying the peace.

This was pretty much it for my brush with fame, but I learned Paul Sr. was a very nice and respectful person.

srcoyote
July 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Wow, the second was USC actually. I missed that transfer, I was gone by then, and my friend was no longer trying to pick up models.

Lump
July 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM
gigi

My connect with Buster Crabbe was not so many years ago. I got a call asking if I could organize some guys to take an outrigger canoe off the Kihei, Maui coastline early the next morning to scatter some ashes, a service we provided free to any who asked. This was a no frills affair, no minister, no music, no flowers, with just a couple of people in attendance. Only after returning to the beach was I told that the "guest of honor" was Buster Crabbe.

Now THAT is an honor and "cool" (I'm at a loss for a better word)! I'm 39 and certainly know that name.:applaud: