PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate monitors

auto208562
May 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I need an accurate heart rate monitor for swimming, the ones that monitor continuously with the chest strap. All the ones I've seen say that they can go 30 or so meters under water but they say they are not accurate once under water (so, I don't really even get why one would use it for swimming if it's not accurate, but they advertise it like that).

Are there any that specially are made for swimming?

Karen Duggan
May 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I used a Polar heartrate monitor successfully for swim workouts.

auto208562
May 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM
What's the model?

Originally posted by Karen Duggan
I used a Polar heartrate monitor successfully for swim workouts.

michaelmoore
May 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Karen:

Did you like it? do you still use it?

michael

ALM
May 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I have two Polar heart rate monitors. I use them all the time for swimming; they work great. Both of mine are old; 8 and 10 years old, I believe. They don't have any fancy features at all - just heart rate.

The transmitter is worn around the chest and the receiver is worn on the wrist (like a watch). Once in a while the receiver will lose the signal. That usually happens only if I've been doing a lot of kicking on my back with my arms streamlined. To get the signal back, all you do is hold your wrist close to the chest transmitter for 2 seconds.

Swimming with the monitor is a lot of fun. It's interesting to gauge your perceived level of exertion, then look at your heart rate to see where it really is. Sometimes you can feel like you're working really hard, but your heart's not beating all that fast. Other times you can feel pretty good even with a high heart rate.

The thing that will get my heart rate the highest is doing breaststroke sprints. I can usually hit 170 beats/minute.

The factory-authorized Polar Service Center in the U.S. is Creative Health Products, at http://www.chponline.com/. I've sent my monitors there to have the batteries changed. They've always provided prompt service. They sell lots of other fitness and physical therapy products besides heart rate monitors. (They also sell heart rate monitors for horses!)

breastroker
May 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Leave it to Anna Lea to have two. I have two Polars and one Timex. One older Polar can record every 5 seconds a workout or a swim during a meet.

I wore mine during treadmill stress tests, the doctors and nurses were so impressed with the Polar they went out and ordered some. The are EKG accurate and far better than any other method of measuring heart rate whil swimming. See my articles at www.breaststroke.info.

ALM
May 18th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I only have two because one of them belonged to my dad. When he died, I inherited it. (I have three Canon AE-1 cameras, two slide projectors, and two pairs of binoculars for the same reason!)