PDA

View Full Version : hullo

Punk
May 16th, 2005, 06:38 PM
hi i just joined and am now able to post. i am 15 in july and need workouts. i guess i am not good on the computer 'cause i can't find any. i don't really know how good a swimmer i am but my last coach said i could swim masters.

the last two seasons my coaches have been training me more in freestyle. backstroke used to be my fastest stroke with freestyle coming in a close second, but my backstroke has relaxed a little. i still thought it was a good idea, but then i read that training too much in freestyle could damage your joints.:confused:

Rob Copeland
May 17th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Sam

There are 3 Forums a the top of USMS Discussion Forums > General > Workouts
> Why Swim, If You Can Fly!? - By Robert Strauss
> Out of the Box and Into the Pool - By Mo Chambers
> Opportunities For Greatness II - By Kris Houchens / Mel Goldstein
Click on these for workouts.

I’m not sure where you read “that training too much in freestyle could damage your joints”. I’ve been swimming freestyle for over 40 years and my joints are just fine. Learn proper techniques and train smart and you should have no problem.

Unfortunately at 14/15 you are too young to join Masters. The minimum age is 18, however feel free to check out the workouts and ask questions on the forum. We have no age limit on access!

Punk
May 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks!

69gscal
May 20th, 2005, 12:40 AM
I've heard the same thing about Freestyle being harmful to your shoulders if you aren't certain to train all supporting muscles also. And of course the best way to train all of the supporting muscles is to swim multiple strokes.

What distances do you do for Freestyle?
Current times?
Kick set times for 25, 50, 100 m or y?

The answers to these questions will help the real experts (certainly not me) help you find improvment.

Good Luck

geochuck
May 20th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Just did a google search... swim workouts, results 219,000 hits. also search swimming workouts, 617,000 hits. It is easy to find workouts.

I like them simple, 1000 m a day. As far as damage to joints I have been around a long time raced since I was 5 years old, Shoulder problem when I was 29 years old. I modified my swim stroke, no problem since.