PDA

View Full Version : Flip turns - a dumb question

cjolsen
May 17th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty comfortable doing flip turns. I can do them two ways. One way, I turn over on my stomach before I push off. The other way, I push off on my back and then use my first pull to rotate my body.

I know this is a lame question, but which is better? I can go either way.

Seagurl51
May 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Which ever way you feel most comfortable with and is faster for you is the way you should do it.

ande
May 18th, 2005, 05:56 AM
push off on your back then transition to your side
take your first pull with your bottom arm.

ande

Originally posted by cjolsen
I'm pretty comfortable doing flip turns. I can do them two ways. One way, I turn over on my stomach before I push off. The other way, I push off on my back and then use my first pull to rotate my body.

I know this is a lame question, but which is better? I can go either way.

Conniekat8
May 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Seems like a lot of people went to teaching the push off on your back, then twist as your feet leave the wall kind nowdays.
My coach says it's easier on the back.
I think it might be just a tad faster, but I'm just guessing here. maybe it's only because I'm, personally more used to that kind.

auto208562
May 18th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Click this link and read about flip turns. Then watch the free video. If you watch the video to the end, he has a great flip turn, look at the distance he covers after he kicks off the wall.

http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=979_0_20_0_C

Punk
May 18th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Personally I think pushing off as you turn is faster, but if you try it some way your not comfortable with and try to go back to the old way you might mess up your turn.

p.s.

Don't say, "I can go either way." It sounds wrong.

Alex
May 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ande
push off on your back then transition to your side
take your first pull with your bottom arm.

ande

Ooooh, I had not think about it, but reading your post I closed my eyes and did a flip turn in my mind and I realiced that I do my first pull with the upper arm!!!!...., good I have something else to try tomorrow.

thanks ande.

SwiminONandON
May 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Michael Heather
I can go either way.

I feel like Scansy ... stay away from the obvious joke ... fight the urge, fight the urge!

Scansy
May 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
I feel like Scansy ... stay away from the obvious joke ... fight the urge, fight the urge!

Nah, give in to the urge...

scyfreestyler
May 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Why does going either way sound wrong? I find that attractive in a woman. :D

Scansy
May 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Thank you for saying that. I've been wanting to say that but held back.

Dang, I must be slipping into old age or something....:(

jswim
May 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Alex
Ooooh, I had not think about it, but reading your post I closed my eyes and did a flip turn in my mind and I realiced that I do my first pull with the upper arm!!!!...., good I have something else to try tomorrow.

thanks ande.

This is how I was taught too, I was told that when you're thinking of it as the bottom hand sometimes you pull with the top, then realized that's exactly what I was doing.
ie.. when I'm in streamline coming off the wall I was thinking of the bottom "hand" in my streamline which sometimes ends up being the top arm. lol.. oops!

then I started thinking of it as the bottom arm, or shoulder and it helped alot!