PDA

View Full Version : Why do you swim?

Seagurl51
May 18th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I was thinking today about a lot of things (class is over and I only work part-time so I have A LOT of free time :)) and I started to think about my swimming. Why I had started back, why I was doing it now, and what I hoped to someday accomplish with it. So then I began to wonder why every one here swam? What is your reason for dragging yourself out of bed every morning? What made you decide to come back after all those years off (if in fact you did take years off)? Is it for fitness, for fun, or some other reason? Just curious!

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I swim because A - I LOVE the people I swim with (coaches included, most of the time), B - My body (in particular my back) couldn't take distance road running anymore, C - I never really tried in high school, enjoyed in high school, etc. and I wanted to see what I could do/accomplish. D - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE competing, it's a blast. E - I love pushing myself and seeing how fast I can go, and F - b/c I love a challenge!

scyfreestyler
May 18th, 2005, 02:08 PM
1) It makes me healthy
2) It makes me feel good and feel good about myself
3) It keeps me looking good :)
4) I enjoy the constant search for improvement in technique, endurance, and speed
5) I have never really enjoyed participating in any regular sports such as baseball, basketball, etc. but swimming I genuinely enjoy.

Conniekat8
May 18th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I love to be in water!
Then again ... Where else you get to be horizontal and still get exercise? ;)
And... If I didn't swim, I'd probably sink.

Sorry folks, feeling little silly here today! :D
No worries, I won't give up my day job!

Karen Duggan
May 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Because I have faith and belief in myself that if I keep working hard I will achieve my goals... plus, I suck at math! :p

nkace
May 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I think it's becuase I missed it so much, just the smell of chlorine brings me back to the days of swimming competitively & it's great for my torn acl in my knee

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Karen, I suck at math too, perhaps that is our problem ... lack of math skills make you enjoy life more! That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it!

Leonard Jansen
May 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Karen, I suck at math too, perhaps that is our problem ... lack of math skills make you enjoy life more! That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it!

Sorry, but you didn't provide all the steps in your proof. F-

The correct proof sequence is:

Math skills = good job
good job = more $
more $ = more time (remember that Einstein proved that "time is money" in his Theory of Irrelativity)
more time = more swimming
more swimming = enjoy life more.

Then by transitivity of equality:
math skills = enjoy life more.

Q.E.D.

-LBJ

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 02:30 PM
lack of math skills = not caring at all which = a much happier exsistence!

PS - I manage to swim 5-6 days a week w/o a math related job!

Scansy
May 18th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
I love to be in water!
Then again ... Where else you get to be horizontal and still get exercise? ;) ....

Don't say it.... don't say it.... bite your tongue.... be nice, there are respectable people reading this post...... ungh.... fight the urge to say something....

Oh, hey - sorry, I was just talking to myself.

Seriously - I swim ...

1. So I can eat ice cream several days a week and not gain weight.
2. It is actually fun.... except for kick sets.
3. Gotta love the endorphin high - no hangover!

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 03:17 PM
oh, add ice cream to my list, I swim for ice cream ... and food in general...

jswim
May 18th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I have always been involved in sports growing up and when I finished college it occured to me that there were no more sports I could be involved with. I tried an adult ultimate frisbee team, but it didn't do anything for me. I had started lap swimming in college with a friend who swam in high school and really enjoyed it so I kept doing that..

Then I found masters in St. Pete Florida and realized my competitiveness is not gone, and I'm certainly not done with sports! I had done many sports and had become pretty good at a few but not really great at any one because I never put too much effort into them. Now i'm ready to give my best and see what I can do!

I LOVE the feel of my body moving through water it feels silky ;)
I love jumping into the water initially and anticipating the workout.
I love the feeling I get after a good tough workout.
After awhile of not being in the water I start craving it. It's like my body needs to be immersed in water regularly or it'll dry up!
I take lots of baths during the winter! lol...

Swimming rocks!

Karen Duggan
May 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Scansy, I didn't say it, but I was thinking it!
Is this a "family show?" That's why I didn't say it :p

Plus, I couldn't think of anything real witty at the time! Still can't.

Karen Duggan
May 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I teach English and History for a reason! I hate math. I don't like the fact that there is only one answer. Life is NOT that simple.

I have a lot of friends who are engineers, scientists, etc and they are all normal and love to swim. What do you suppose the statistics are that someone is good at math, swims, but has no friends? Now there are some numbers to crunch.

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I want the saying on our team shirts next year to be, "The most fun you can have with your suit on."

Karen Duggan
May 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Careful, WCM used that one already!

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Do I need to seek out special permission? ;)

Scansy
May 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
Scansy, I didn't say it, but I was thinking it!
Is this a "family show?" That's why I didn't say it :p

Plus, I couldn't think of anything real witty at the time! Still can't.

Don't worry about it.... I didn't have anything witty to say either! In fact, I'm still waiting for my first genuinely witty thought...... 35 years and counting.:(

Karen Duggan
May 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I bet after all of my shots Sunday night I'll have lots of witty things to say- you all sure you don't want me to do 5 or 6 on your behalf? Is three all??!!!!

I have children to raise ya know- I can't widow them with alcohol poisoning :p

I am a happy drunk though :)

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM
No alcohol posioning please ... not good ... Just do shots for me forget everyone else ;)

Conniekat8
May 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
Sorry, but you didn't provide all the steps in your proof. F-

The correct proof sequence is:

Math skills = good job
good job = more $
more $ = more time (remember that Einstein proved that "time is money" in his Theory of Irrelativity)
more time = more swimming
more swimming = enjoy life more.

Then by transitivity of equality:
math skills = enjoy life more.

Q.E.D.

-LBJ

Sorry to disappoint, I have a degree in Civil Engineering with a minor in Math...
I can attest that the 'bezaires theorem' is fundamentally flawed ;)

bobatwork
May 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I swim so I can justify to myself reading these
forums and posting to it at least once every two years. No that isn't it. So what is the real
reason I swim,he said to himself elderlyly. Oh it is to try to regain the bulging calves, rock-hard
thighs and flat stomach of my youth. No, that isn't it again, elderlyly. So it must be to stop
the voice of my father from ringing in my ears over and over; "always exercise, always exercise,
always exercise." I can't think of the real reason right now, but when I do I will post it here, if I remember. (74 years and aging every day here)

SwiminONandON
May 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Interesting b/c I get younger everyday ... well at least more immature which is fun! ;)

Conniekat8
May 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
I teach English and History for a reason! I hate math. I don't like the fact that there is only one answer. Life is NOT that simple.

Oh, but didn't you know that two equations with two unknowns yield 2 answers???

[Okay, I'm running off and hiding before my geekiness is totally uncovered here!]

Conniekat8
May 18th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Interesting b/c I get younger everyday ... well at least more immature which is fun! ;)

My maturity is over there in a 2:00 base lane while my tongue is doing 100's on 1:05 :D

Seagurl51
May 18th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Good reasons guys! I started this before I went to work and came back to this. LOVELY! It made my day better! I whole heartedly agree with anything said against math (although I did pass my math class this semseter...finally..THANX JIM!).

I would have to agree with most of your reasons also. I recently lost a lot of weight and swimming is helping me keep it off and look fabulous! And I like food.

Seagurl51
May 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by jswim

After awhile of not being in the water I start craving it. It's like my body needs to be immersed in water regularly or it'll dry up!
I take lots of baths during the winter! lol...

Same here!! I swim at the university pool, and since it's super, they are making you pay for the summer session....because we don't already pay them a bizillion dollars so that could build in the first place. Anyways, I'm not paying because I'm only going to be here for another five days and not being in the water is killing me!!! I've taken a bath everyday for the last four days...I just lay there and blow bubbles with my goggles on!:D

Punk
May 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Geez. You guys are immature. I havn't spoken to anyone this immature since I stopped talking to my dad. Anyway, I swim because people have told me that I'm not good enough to beat anyone in swimming and that made me really mad. It's only been five years so I should cool down in another five years. Maybe not, I'm still mad about what my soccer coach said when I was five.

Punk
May 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM
p.s.

It's not geeky to know that two equations with two variables have two answers. It's seventh-grade math.

thisgirl13
May 18th, 2005, 10:30 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't know why I swim. I could give you all kinds of plausible reasons (i love to compete, i like staying in shape, "i like food" (haha, Kyra), and even that it really IS the most fun you can have without being naked (though some would argue - why I don't know))

And sure, that's part of it for me. But there's something else to it. Even sitting here right now, I want to be in the pool. There is something about the water that just draws me in. My moms have home videos of me in the pool since I was a baby, and we did those little kid swimming socials they have, where the tiny little babies get in the pool with their parent, and there are songs and all that. (Sometimes I miss those days :D )

I think it's just the pure love of the water. Either that or I'm weird. Possibly a correlation, and that I'm both. ;)

Karen Duggan
May 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
For you Connie:

When trying to explain to a student in math that a negative times a negative is a postive, the student wasn't quite getting it. He started taking on a sarcastic tone. No matter how the teacher tried to explain it, it wasn't sinking in. With one last attempt the teacher said, look "two positives never make a negative!" to which the student replied sarcastically, "Yeah, right."

I thought that was cute :)

TomBrooklyn
October 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM
To get in shape.
To get and stay healthy.
To lose weight.
To look better.
Because I got a little dizzy running one time and I haven't had that checked out yet.
It's a good skill to have.
So I can be more confident in open water.
To have fun.
Because physical fitness contributes to mental fitness.

cathlaur
October 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Good Question

I returned to swimming because................
I need to lose weight ( and it is working I am losing weight and inches:bump:)
I have bad knees
It fits into my schedule. I swim in the mornings and when I get home at night my time is my families (yet I have already been kind to my body so I don't mind)
THIS IS FOR ME. When you are in the water you can talk to yourself, push yourself and the only one who hears you is YOU . It is very spiritual and I am not really a spiritual person. It is a wonderful feeling strange feeling.
To prove to myself and my children you are never to old to try something new ( been out of the pool for 22 years)
And to meet new people who have the same goals I do. Health and Happiness.

OHHHHHHH AND I HATE math but that is not the reason I swim:bolt:.

Katie

Donna
October 27th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I started back to swimming (after a 22 year break) after a back injury (broken tailbone) sidelined me from everything else. My chiropractor said I needed to start doing some form of exercise, so swimming was it.

For the first few months it was hard getting my water lungs back, I was 220 lbs, overweight, with a back that would spasm every time I tried to exit the pool even with the use of the ladder. The only time I was almost pain free was in the water!

I would not say that the back issues are completely resolved, I still have the pain on waking in the morning or if I don't warm up good before a race, but if I swim in the morning I am usually pain free most of the day. So WATER I AM HERE TO STAY!

The weight loss, competition, and the friendships are just added bonuses!

Lisa777
October 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure but I'm swimming once again. It feels good somehow. I am enjoying it and luckily have some good people who swim where I swim and that makes it a lot more fun. There is a lack of pressure I used to feel back 20 years ago and that makes it fun, too. I can feel my body changing already and I like feeling more flexible (wow--my neck is feeling good :) ) and feeling stronger. :)

gr82cu!
October 28th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I grew up on a lake and swam every day (at least every day of every summer) -- well, swam isn't the right term. We were in the water at least 6 hours of every day of every summer for 11 years or so. I love it!

swim4me
October 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM
From my earliest memories, I have always LOVED :hug: being in the water. I love the feeling of being weightless, being able to move my body however I wish without the constraint of gravity. The coolness of the water. The way water droplets feel sliding down my skin when I get out. Competive swimming gives me a reason to experience all these things during the week as an adult without looking too silly:fish2:.

BabsVa
October 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Love it. For the pleasure. And for the pain. Well,sometimes the pain. Yes I have become a conosseur (sp??) of pain it seems. Why? Because it feels so good when it stops, I guess. Mmm.

But also swimming poses so many questions: if I angle this, will such-and-such happen? etc etc. It's been very fun to learn and study and practice and I guess I enjoy the pursuit of perfection. Note that I said pursuit. And note that I did not even mention speed.

There is nothing so ... pure? as that ahhhhhh feeling after a good swim.

Also, there seems to be a special comraderie among those who swim together. I mean, there you are, wearing not much at all, and it is all about trying and suffering together and there just is no faking it, it is just very real.

Maybe I've had too much coffee but I could go and on.

ande
October 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM
it's fun
to have something to blog about
to keep from getting fat
to swim faster faster
to hang out with my swim friends
to get in town early cause I have a long drive

I was thinking today about a lot of things (class is over and I only work part-time so I have A LOT of free time :)) and I started to think about my swimming. Why I had started back, why I was doing it now, and what I hoped to someday accomplish with it. So then I began to wonder why every one here swam? What is your reason for dragging yourself out of bed every morning? What made you decide to come back after all those years off (if in fact you did take years off)? Is it for fitness, for fun, or some other reason? Just curious!

PArob83
November 2nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
To relax.
To excersize.
To clear my mind.
Its fun.
I get to be wet.
I love water.
YEAR ROUND.
Raccoon eyes!

swimminlyn
November 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
I have always been around swimming since I was 13. As a swimmer then a coach. I came back to swimming b/c I missed it and knew that was the best way for me to get in shape.
I joined the masters team when it started b/c I love to compete.
I keep going and pushing myself harder b/c I love seeing my times drop.
I keep swimming so I can eat and have my ice cream fix every night.