PDA

View Full Version : Combined meet with United States swimming

KACZ
May 18th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Our Elmbrook swim club is combine age group and masters and we would like to run a regional invite meet at a new pool with both groups swimming their events at the same meet. The meet would go over 2 days and would have separate events for age group and masters groups. My question is what's the offical position USMS has on running a meet like this, will this meet be reconized by USMS and be insured. I would like to know if this was ever done before. With good pools getting more and more expensive, a meet like this could actually make a profit for the club and allow the masters in this state to swim in a top level pool. We would like to run this meet in fall as a SCM meet. Please help with your fee back. Thank you.
Mark

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 18th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Where is Brookfield?

NKMD
May 18th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Mark,
I am happy to hear about your team wanting to host a meet. It's awesome to have a SCM meet, we need more of them.

FYI-INDY has one scheduled in 3rd weekend Oct, KY has a few in first weekend in Nov, first weekend in Dec. IL doesn't have anything scheduled, Michigan and Lake Erie LMSC usually has a couple meets.

IF you have the USA Sanction for your meet and If the master swimmers are USA members then your fine and no other sanction is required. That means everyone that swims is a USA registered swimmer. The master swimmers times will count for USMS but not FINA top ten (since it's SCM).

If you want to get a dual sanction, meaning the meet is sanctioned by USA and USMS. The USA swimmers and USMS swimmers must swim warm-ups, downs, and events separately. The USMS swimmers can swim men and women together.
For example:
Warm-up/downs: Masters lane 1-3, USA 4-8
Events: 12 and Under girls
12 and Under boys
13 and Over girls
13 and Over boys
USMS

Contact your LMSC Sanctions Chair. I think it's Eric Jernberg (sp?).

IF you need any other info, I would be happy to help. Also, contact John and/or Dick.

Let me know if you have a meet. I know some of the Illinois swimmers would love to swim too.

Nadine

dorothyrde
May 18th, 2005, 04:32 PM
So to clarify Nadine, the events for the USA swimmers has to be separated by boy.girl, but within the same meet the USMS events can be mixed and neither sanctioning body cares that the other may have swimmers on deck that are not members of the other?

You never know, I may be setting one of these up soon.

NKMD
May 18th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Being on deck is a separate matter than being in the pool.

What happens in the pool needs to be done correctly.

So will the chiefs host a meet? Gary has the info.

If you have any questions, refer to the Administration link drop down to LMSC Handbook, link to insurance.

Have a great meet this weekend.

dorothyrde
May 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I think down the road we may, and the idea of joining the two sanctions is appealing. For instance, this weekend we really could use more swimmers. If we had combined it with a Masters meet, it may have been more worth our while. Since SCM meets are not that appealing to age groupers(although I think quite a few state records will fall this weekend), it would be nice to flesh out the time-line with Masters. Plus, I think there is a GREAT benefit to the age groupers seeing Masters swimmers and what they achieve.

NKMD
May 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM
The only problem with this weekend was that we have USMS Nationals. I would have swum with the chiefs even from the water. :-) I hope to dive tomorrow.

dorothyrde
May 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Good luck Nadine, giving BIG healing vibes!!!