PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes people just amuse me...

Meli
May 19th, 2005, 04:24 AM
I work for the credit division of a national retailer, and sometimes I have to deal with the craziness of our customers. I had a woman call up because she needed us to research a few transactions for her. She had purchased a Miraclesuit (to wear while she floated around with her pool noodle and annoyed the lap swimmers) and was returning it because it *gasp* wore out after four months of regular use! The horror of it all!

Of course my first thought was... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

My second thought was... No, seriously, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Personally, I really wanted to explain to her the error of her ways, and that it was not a shoddy product, but merely the wrong product for what she was doing. After all, some suits are there to make you look pretty, and some are the workhorses that you wear day in and day out.

Realistically, she was wearing a suit that was over 30% lycra (compared to Speedo's usual suspects that are more in the 20% range) in what was probably an over-chlorinated local pool. I'd be willing to bet money that she threw it in a spinner too! The suit was going to die quickly, but she didn't know that... as evidenced by the hissy fit she was pitching over the whole situation.

I've accepted the fact that swimwear is pretty much a disposible item... usually I can get 6 months out of a suit if I'm rotating it with another one. If it's a non-Speedo/Nike/Tyr, I can trash a suit in 2 1/2 months. They're just a little too generous with the chlorine at the rec center! It seems, however, that other folks think their suits should last forever.

I'm sure I'll hear back from her in another three months...

dorothyrde
May 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM
What she probably has not learned, that we all have is that you never pay 70 dollars for a suit. You go to grab bag, clearance, whatever. I am sure she thought, hey, I paid alot, it needs to last forever!

laineybug
May 19th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I know some of you will laugh at this, but last fall, at the end of the swim suit season I went to Wallie World for something other than a swim suit... walking past the clothing section I see a huge rack of swim suits on sale, and when I say on sale... they were $3.00 a piece! Now granted these were the left overs no on wanted... one piece tanks, most had straps that crossed in back (just what swimmers need) and were solid colors like brown, forrest green, orange, etc. Well, I bought 25 because that would have been the price of one nice suit. Yeah, the check-out clerk looked at me funny. Even very cheep Jansen suits will last when you have 25 (plus 4 of my good suits) to rotate through. Moral of the story? Heck I don't know, just get a good giggle out of me plopping 25, 3.00 suits on the check-out counter.

Leonard Jansen
May 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by laineybug
Even very cheep Jansen suits will last when you have 25 (plus 4 of my good suits) to rotate through.

I'm sure that the Jantzen company lawyers will be in touch for defamation as they don't want anything to do with the Jansen's. Me neither, but I'm stuck.

-LBJ

laineybug
May 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM
LOL, sorry about that, Leonard!

geochuck
May 19th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I have a friend from Washinton State who shops the thrift stores and buys speedos for $1.00 he has 21 of these colorful suits. When in mexico he wears a different suit every day for 21 days. Last winter I asked if he still had 21 suits. "No" he said I gave one away. So I have started to look in the thrift stores around here to see if I can get him a replacement.

dorothyrde
May 19th, 2005, 11:28 AM
TJMAxx often sells the Speedo racing suits(aquablades) for 10.00. You have to be there when they first put them out, because they get snatched up fast and they are usually my daughters size(26 or under).