PDA

View Full Version : Old Awards

pmbchill
May 19th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Before joining masters, I was an age group swimmer for many years. In the Cleveland area, our AAU team would participate in meets almost once a month. As a result, I have an attic full of trophies, medals and ribbons that have been following me with every relocation for the last 25 years. Does anyone have a serious suggestion as to what I can do with these? I called a local awards shop and they don't want them even after I told them I would donate them. I don't see any use in keeping them.

old dog
May 19th, 2005, 10:15 PM
would you throw away "old" pix of your family?
Would you throw away wedding pix because they took up space?
Are you depressed?

kaffrinn
May 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I've had to relocate a lot over the last few years and my philosophy has generally been "toss it" in regard to excessive clutter.

When I was faced with a similar situation, I tossed my piles of old heat ribbons and whatnot. I only kept the really important stuff, like about ten state medals, club record plaques, and two trophies from larger competitions. These are special to me and I'd like to keep them, but I must confess that they are actually still in a closet at my parents' house! :)

Rob Copeland
May 19th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Donate them to your local chapter of Special Olympics. Some Special Olympic events give out recycled medals

laineybug
May 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I like Rob's suggestions. Do you have an age group swim team in your area? My granddaughter's swim team awards the team trophy (if they win the meet) to the highest scorer on the team. Maybe you could let the local team could create a "Kaffrin Award" and hand out the medals and trophys for the same event you won them for, but at the end of the year, for outstanding swims across the year in the same event.

ALM
May 20th, 2005, 11:19 AM
One of my friends told me that her dad took all of her old swimming medals and inlaid them into concrete stepping stones for the garden.

geochuck
May 20th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Don't get rid of them.

All of my pictures, medals and trophies, gone in a flood. But I still have my memmories.

pmbchill
May 20th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by old dog
would you throw away "old" pix of your family?
Would you throw away wedding pix because they took up space?
Are you depressed?
No...to every question. However, these are awards that came from swimming hundreds of events. I would hardly compare a 1st place trophy in the 100 breaststroke from the Cuyahoga Falls meet the summer I was 13 with wedding photos. I like the idea of keeping the special ones.

geochuck
May 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by pmbchill
No...to every question. However, these are awards that came from swimming hundreds of events. I would hardly compare a 1st place trophy in the 100 breaststroke from the Cuyahoga Falls meet the summer I was 13 with wedding photos. I like the idea of keeping the special ones. When you don't have any left you wish you had them. I raced Clarke Scholes in Cuyahoga Falls in 1955 I wish I had that medal.

SwiminONandON
May 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I'd keep them ... they are memories so what if it's a box or two more to lug around I think the older you get the more you'll appreciate them.

By the way, inlaying them into the pattio, VERY COOL!

Tom Ellison
May 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I wish I had my Dad's football trophies from the 1920's....or his boxing trophies....Those are treasures I'll never have.....

Keep them....keep them all and give them to the kids when you are gone....

SwiminONandON
May 20th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Kids in general love medals and ribbons ... a teammate of mine gives all of his to his daughter

Kira
May 20th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I agree. Keep them. The memories are worth the "lugging".

Inlaying them is such a great idea! I think I'll do that.

lwright
May 20th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Hey Pepper! Maybe you could get your first husband, Bob, to make some artwork out of your old awards. Of course, now that I'm married to him, he's forgotten all about you. :D

How have you been?

Laura - the other wife

pmbchill
May 22nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Very funny....all is well. I think the local Special Olympics will benefit from some of my hardware. "Hi" to Bob.

jean sterling
May 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
Donate them to your local chapter of Special Olympics. Some Special Olympic events give out recycled medals

I contacted local Special Olympics people a few years ago, and they said they were happy to get anything but bowling trophies - that they were able to recycle the awards and make good use of them.