PDA

View Full Version : Holy smokes!

Scansy
May 20th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Ok, I was away from my computer for about 24 hours.... remember the deadline I mentioned in the "Bad Thread"? Only three hours of sleep last night:( ..... but I did make the deadline today. :D

Anyway, I know we don't want to resume the conversation from the "Bad Thread"..... but I do want to respond to a few misplaced nice comments that were lost in the "Bad Thread".....

I think it would be cool if everytime I typed "Bad Thread" there was music..... You know something dramatic and a little creepy..... Dun Dun Duuuuuunnnnnn!:p

Anyway, here goes. I will keep them anti-inflammatory. Please, pleeeeeeaaaaaassse everyone take them that way!:rolleyes:

Somewhere in the "Bad Thread" (Dun Dun Duuuuuunnnnnn) it seems that Connie's femaleness was questioned???? :confused: Allllll Righty then. I followed a link to her club one time and stumbled upon her picture. For those of you who don't know.... trust me.... all woman!;) Besides, Mr. Moose confirmed it for me over beer one day!

Speaking of Mr. Moose..... Tom, you should set up an account for him, separate from yours. Although it might be tough... all of the others in there might want one too. You would never get on the computer yourself then.... everyone else would be using it!

Kirk Nelson.... Ion posted your swim time.... great swim..... you should be very proud of that time.:)

Dorothy, in the "Bad Thread" (Dun Dun Duuuuuunnnnnn) you mentioned being at a band concert. My son's was last night too. (Part of the reason I got so little sleep.) I swear.... they played Black Sabbath's "Iron Man". You haven't lived until you have heard Iron Man played by 50 or so 12 to 14 year olds on french horns, trumpets, trumbones, tubas, .... you get the picture. At least they did have two kids who could keep the beat on bass guitars and one kid who actually could play a full set of drums. But I'm telling you it was a very odd experience.

Connie... you said you look forward to my posts..... Ok..... Tom, please talk with Connie and help her learn to control the "voices" in her head.:confused:

And one other thing Tom..... the birth control comment in the "Bad Thread" (Dun Dun Duuuuuunnnnnn) was classic. Mean spirited and unappropriate (sorry, I figured I should say that) but classic.

Finally, I want to report on my attitude. It's much better than last night. Heck, it's Friday night! I am a bit unhappy because I missed my haphazard swim today. No endorphines I guess. Maybe I'll go for a run on the treadmill. Anyway, I will be outside with my wife and kids a lot this weekend. What more could I want?:D

Oh, and right now the Pirates are leading the Rockies 3-1 in the 6th inning. Life is good!

Scansy
May 20th, 2005, 08:45 PM
And if after reading that ramble you all put me on the ignore list (Dun Dun Duuuuuunnnnnn)- I understand. I'm on my own ignore list. My 12 year old son's too. I recently got off of my wife's list, but will probably end up there again soon.

sibleyclan
May 20th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Scansy
And if after reading that ramble you all put me on the ignore list (Dun Dun Duuuuuunnnnnn)- I understand. I'm on my own ignore list. My 12 year old son's too. I recently got off of my wife's list, but will probably end up there again soon.

My twins just turned 13 - I'm fairly certain I'm on an ignore list with no expiration (except when they want money for something at a swim meet!!:D ).

Scansy
May 20th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I heard a stand-up comic one time (I forget who it was) who said when he was very young - up to 7 years old - his dad was a genious. He knew everything. Then, his dad started to get dumber and dumber. Up to the point when he was 18. At that point, his dad didn't know anything. But suddenly his dad started to get some of his smarts back.... by the time h was 25, his dad was smart again.

sibleyclan
May 20th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Yep, we're entering our stupid phase I suppose. At least the 6 year old still thinks we know a thing our two.

Still, you get the confirmation that you've still got a little left when they ignore any advice you try to give them (on something you actually know something about) only to then have to acknowledge that you got lucky after they've messed up. (They conveniently forget how many times you get luck.)

We just have to try to keep 'em from messing up in a *big* way!!

Scansy
May 20th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Pirates 9, Rockies 3.... middle of the 8th. Wooo Hooo

dorothyrde
May 20th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Scansy, I hope your band contest was not in a gymnasium that was 9357092375 degrees. Parents were giving standing ovations, but I think it was because their bottoms were so sweaty they wanted to stand and air out!

Now every breathe I take exhales all the chlorimides from running a meet in an indoor pool that was cheated on its ventilation. Ya gotta love it. But all the equipment went great, pads talked to the timing console, timing console talked to the scoreboard and the computer, computers talked to the printers, so life was pretty good. Now if we can keep the little 8 and unders from standing on other peoples timing pads during the race, it will be grand!

4 short course meter state age group records were set tonight, so some fast swimming going on. More will fall throughout the weekend.

laineybug
May 20th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Dorthy, a couple of weeks ago I timed at my granddaughter's swim team. There was a father assisting me and learning how to work the timing console. Everything, except the printer, was running fine for most of the meet and the dad caught right on to how to go into the various menus when things went slightly ary. AND, during the entire meet we only had to enter ONE touch... amazing, this was a meet with kids as young as 5. Anyway, I was feeling fairly confident with how dad was running the console. BUT, at one point during a long race I look down and yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the console wasn't timing and Dad hadn't caught it! Well, of course we had watches so I wasn't in a dead panic. I did everything I could think of to get the console to start timing... nothing... ran into the office and let the clerk of course know about the problem... next event, I thought maybe just a reset would get it going.... nothing, ran back to clerk of course... then back to the timing table, played with the console some more during the race... nothing... next race, we manually started the console... at that point I went to the coach of my granddaughter's swim team and told him about the problem... he came over and saw the problem right away... geeze, did I feel stupid... the previous event had been a 25 started from the shallow end of the pool. The cable from the starter had wiggled loose when it was brought back up to the starting block end of the pool :D

dorothyrde
May 21st, 2005, 06:41 AM
I am laughing because it is always the silly things that catch you.

Last summer we were running our 50 meter long course meet. I used to run the old daktroniks console, but have never run the Colorado. I am the go to it person, ask Dorothy all your questions, she knows everything she runs the computer, you get it. So when I try to run the timing console, everyone is constantly hitting me with questions, and you know, you have to concentrate on the pool, so I gave up doing it.

Anyway, since I have limited knowledge on the Colorado(I basically can guess which buttons to push if I have to), I do not do the set up on that, I have my "people" do it. We were set up on Friday, running races, and I was checking watch times, against back-up, against pads, just to make sure everything is going right and notice that every single time is consistently 10 seconds off. All lanes across the board. Well you know that is a big red flag something is up. It was the first time we used the system 6, and my Colorado guy was in a panic anyway because it is enough different from the 5 he was having trouble. He played around with settings, and scratched his head, and we just kept doing adjustments on the times. He calls one of our coaches who is a Colorado guroo. This guy gets there, takes one look at the set up, shakes his head, chuckles and says " you have the console plugged into the wrong spot on the starter". My guy felt really, really stupid!

My husband ran the console last night for the first time. It was the longer events, so good time to learn. Today he gets the 25's!

I am getting the whole family into helping. 12 year old daughter who is swimming in the meet will be at the morning to help, along with her 17 year old brother who quit last winter. It will be interesting to see how my son handles this. He has not seen his coach since he quit, and it was very hard for him to come to the decision that he was not putting the time and effort in, and it was time to quit. You know, one of those adult decisions that start hitting you at that age.

Scansy
May 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM
I was lucky Dorothy - we were in the school auditorium and it was apparently designed to handle the large crowd. It was actually comfortable.

Although I do think the guy next to me was airing out his bottom quite regularly....:eek:

dorothyrde
May 21st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Bahahahaha......move,move,move.

Every year we go through the guantlet concert that is called the Pops. It starts with the 7-12 grade chorus and ends with 7-12 band. The past 5 years, we have only had to go to the band portion. Next year will be the only year both kids are in it together, 7th grade and 12th, but the 7th grader is in both band and chorus, so we are there for 3 hours! The school is airconditioned, but not the gym, and it is always hot muggy with a threat of thunderstorms. One year they had to take the whole crowd down to the lower level because of roaming tornadoes. Such fun.

laineybug
May 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
My husband ran the console last night for the first time. It was the longer events, so good time to learn. Today he gets the 25's!

Bless his heart!
A guy from Peachtree Timing trained me on an Omega system at a very large meet, with many, many, many first-time-at-a-meet young swimmers... missed touches galor, gazillion heats in every 25 imaginable and because it was such a large meet, the officials were starting the heats and events very quickly. I was a nervous wreck by the time the meet was over. But, I do have to say I learned a lot from Carl. He is extremely good, he even timed at the Olympic Trials.

We use a Colorado and I like it better than the Omega. It is a lot more user friendly. Of course that is my perception from the first time timing, wonder how I would perceive it now that I have a clue about running the console.

I hope your son does okay today. I'm sure it was a very tough decision for him. I think it was very mature of him to realize he wasn't willing to put in the time or effort necessary for success. So many kids, instead of retiring, would have just shown up for a meet now and then, and gone through the motions. Maybe he just needed a break.

Lainey

Scansy
May 21st, 2005, 06:55 PM
Having two active kids is hectic I'm sure. We aren't there yet. The oldest is 12. The next in line is only 4. Right now we just drag him along... to baseball, to football, to band concerts, to open houses... you know the drill. Then of course there is the soon to be new born. We are expecting - due the first week of August.

We figured it out recently. In six months the oldest will be a teenager (although he already acts like one). In seven years when he turns 20, the next in line will be 12. Then the next one will be a teenager before the middle one is out of those years. Anyway, the bottom line is we will basically have a teenager in the house for basically the next 19 years....:(

Seagurl51
May 21st, 2005, 09:28 PM
I think this is funny to read what parents REALLY think of our band concerts. Props to all of you have kids and sit, smile, nod, support, and love your kids even through million degree gym nights.

And in defense, teenagers aren't all bad!;)

dorothyrde
May 21st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Wow, I do not envy you on that. Although the 17 year old has been a fairly mild teen, I am afraid the 12 year old girl is going to be a toughy.

Today my husband was telling her that she triggered a pad by standing and cheering for a teammate. She said no, she didn't, and I am thinking, drop it, drop it, drop it, and he kept arguing, yes you did. So of course it ended in tears, and not fair, and all the teen emotion.

My husband even managed to survive the dreaded 50 frees that open up the Saturday afternoon session today. The meet is not well attended, so we could ask the starter to slow it down a bit. In our winter meet we do fly-overs, and when the big guys are doing 22 second 50's the TC person barely has any time to breathe. It still was a little tense.

Although lowly attended, we have had 8 state records fall this weekend, and it looks like a few more may fall tomorrow. The coaches who did come down and whose kids are getting in record books, are very happy. Hopefully word of mouth will grow the meet. This is also the meet I was thinking about trying to combine with Masters. The Illinois Master's might come down to set world records because it is SCM. It is a fast pool, we would just have to move it away from this weekend if it conflicts with Nationals. Other conflicts like graduations, proms, and state and sectional track meets have not helped.

OK, I am tired and rambling. Time to relax, and get ready for tomorrow.

dorothyrde
May 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM
Kyra, I did not see your post. I have to tell you the music program in our schools are excellent. Listening to the 12 year old's concert two weeks ago was amazing, because the improvement is so great. If the gym was not 9000 degrees, and the bleacher soooooo hard, it would be quite enjoyable. I made my daughter and husband sit through my choral concerts this year. Although one was singing back-up to Kenny Rogers, with Billy Dean as his side kick. DD fell in love with Billy Dean, and was very impressed that I got my picture taken with him. The other concert had her wiggling in her seat!

Seagurl51
May 21st, 2005, 09:53 PM
I have to agree agree on the bleachers being incredibly uncomfortable. I remember sitting through my brothers concerts..ouch! That's awesome that your schools have appreciated music programs. Our district has had budget cuts (like many) for the past several years in a row, and they always go straight for the music programs first. It's sad. That is amazing about your concerts as well!! Those are quite the feats to accomplish!

And again (I hope no one takes offense to this) you parents are awesome! You are the truly the machine that makes our little lives go. Without you we would be nowhere!!

Tom Ellison
May 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Paul....and All....Please forgive US for what was taken as mean spirited in a comment regarding birth control....We were responding in kind to some posts....and looking back...I think you are right in your assesment....it was without class....so please forgive us for our tasteless comment.
I cannot bring US to a point where WE post as Ralph, Mr. Moose & Tom....if we let that go in single....the tent might fall down.....and the ducks will all get loose....Ralph will lose the light switch....Mr. Moose's VW Camper wont start.....and Tom will show up at the wrong card game and really loose his marbles....Will not, will too, not, too, not....
Never mind....Put that back....don't have too....

Scansy
May 22nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Don't worry about it Tom. It certainly wasn't the only mean spirited comment in the "Bad Thread" (Dun Dun Duuuuuuunnnnn). But it was easily the funniest mean spirited comment.

dorothyrde
May 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Yep Tom, that one made me spit on my monitor(SOM).

SWinkleblech
May 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Hey, try being the director putting one of those choir/band concerts together. That's the fun part.

With both my husband and I being music teachers, we have three concerts in a week and half. For both Christmas and Spring. It keeps us kind of busy this time of year.

This is also the time of year my husband and I both put each other on the ignore list.

Conniekat8
May 25th, 2005, 01:22 AM
But, But, I like the voices in my head. It would be sooo looonely without them.
I should make their pet names public... hmmm, maybe not, they're not ready to come out yet ;)