PDA

View Full Version : where do you swim?

swimlong
May 21st, 2005, 12:11 AM
I swam in the lake for the first time this season - about 20*C which is 68*F. It's a small deep lake fed by a mountain stream. My friends and I have a 1.5km route that can be broken up into 100m/200m/300 segments. It's beautiful; today we swam in soft rain and a light mist and savoured the cold clear lake taste after a winter of pool water... and this weekend I'm going to try the ocean

Which makes me wonder: where do other people swim?

Scansy
May 21st, 2005, 07:46 AM
Indoor pool - SCY. But it does have a couple of skylights and a whole row of windows on one side. The ceiling is vaulted - probably 30 feet high at the highest point - down to maybe 15 on the side. Structural timbers (wood) instead of steel. And we don't have the air quality issues that I read about here. Just a slight chlorine smell.

They do keep the water too warm by about 4 degrees.

geochuck
May 21st, 2005, 11:42 AM
I swim in the water - pool, rivers, lakes or oceans. My preference is a river that winds with heavy currents. When swimming up stream I swim in the slowest moving water. I like to swim up to a waterfall eg. La Bostannais River in Quebec, then out to the fast moving water and back to the starting point. The scenery is amazing and your cares and worries just disappear.

Maryyyyyy
May 22nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
I swim in the water - pool, rivers, lakes or oceans. My preference is a river that winds with heavy currents. When swimming up stream I swim in the slowest moving water. I like to swim up to a waterfall eg. La Bostannais River in Quebec, then out to the fast moving water and back to the starting point. The scenery is amazing and your cares and worries just disappear.

WOW! That's beautiful. :cool:

I swim in the water too. Always have. Couldn't stay out of it, even sometimes when for health reasons it might have been a good idea.

Nowadays I work out in pools. The sea is too far away for daily workouts, and the Arno River is definitely a no-no. I work out in 4 different pools a week, all indoor 25 meter pools with excellent air and water quality and lighting. Starting June 1st we get a 50m x 25m outdoor pool. That's great. Will also do an occasional hop over to the Tyrrhenian Sea (that's just what the closest bit of the Med is called). First race will be a 5KM in Follonica June 11th, 2nd 2.5KM in Livorno on the 12th... can't wait!!

Guvnah
May 23rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by geochuck

I'm sure others can answer this too, but George, you probably have the most open water experience on this board.

Do you swim with a support boat? From what I undertstand, an open water swimmer is supposed to have a boat, if for no other reason than for visibility (for instance to prevent some water ski tow boat from plowing over him while he's swimming.)

geochuck
May 23rd, 2005, 06:48 PM
If I swim I always swim with a buddy or accompanied by a boat. I am afraid to swim alone.
When I go to Quebec I look up my friend, when I swim in the ocean it is usually with a group or I don't leave the shallow water.