PDA

View Full Version : More than 1 suit

nkace
May 23rd, 2005, 12:13 PM
So I am perplexed as to why people wear 2 bathing suits in practice. I feel kinda silly asking them. Is there something I should know about this?

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
It's just for extra drag.

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
I used to wear two suits now and then when my latest workout suit was falling apart...I'd double up so I wouldn't have my half a backside hangen out of my suit....er suits....Most often it is used for extra drag....

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Does Mr. Moose wear a suit? I'd imagine that the gang would require several suits ....

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Mr. Moose is always Sans suit (Mooses can do that you see), Ralph and I both wear our own Speedo...

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Now does Mr. Moose taper and shave?

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Taper yes, shave no.....Tom & Ralph, yes to both...

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Interesting ... I wonder how Mr. Moose's no added drag during workouts, and no shaving or tapering philosophies work for him ... I generally don't think of Moose as good swimmers, but glad that I have been shown the error of my ways ...

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Mr. Moose does taper....just does not shave....
Yep, Mooses are GREAT SWIMMERS.....that is how they get to all those islands in the middle of the lakes to see their girl friends....

nkace
May 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
Extra drag, what for? Is that supposed to help or something? I feel like a spaz asking all these silly questions.

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
The idea behind extra drag is that you build strength by having to pull the extra drag around the pool. Also their is the heavy baseball bat type thought process where you get used to swinging a heavy bat while in the batting box, then when you get to the plate, the regular bat feels much lighter....which makes the swing faster.

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Then you get to a big meet, you only have one suit on (sometimes a "technical" suit, i.e., a fastskin) and you feel like you move through the water more easily.

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Exactly.....

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Now as I mentioned in another thread this also gives you an excuse .... for example, "Heather, I want you to go within 5 seconds of your 100 PR." "But that was with a fastskin, it was all the suit."

At the meet I got my PR in, "Heather that was awesome, guess that suit really helps, huh?" "I think it had more to do with the hard work than with the suit."

This way you can take all of the credit and none of the blame ... it's beautiful!

nkace
May 23rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
I already find it pretty hard to try to keep up in practice right now. I can't imagine trying to make it even more of a challenge on myself.

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Nkace....that is ok, just wait until you are on a level where YOU think you can benefit from an extra suit. It is not a means for everyone. Some GREAT swimmers I have known over the years never used two suits....

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
As of late I've only been sporting one suit. I'm changing back over to two soon though ... The week before a big meet I'll wear three.

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Heather, I have a great idea....since my suit is most probably larger then your suit, I'll loan you my suit, that way you will not have to wear three suits.....Then, PLEASE tell me where you'll be working out....:D

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 02:04 PM
Only if you wear one of my suits ;)

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
If my thinking is correct.....that is a trade I'd make ANYDAY, anytime....anywhere.....Heck, any good old red blooded American boy would make that trade....Door one, door two and door three...come on down....

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
I'd just about be willing to do that to see a guy in a girls' suit ... :D

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
My Speedo 2000 racing suit LOOKS JUST LIKE a girls suit....no arms, thy or legs, but EXACTLY alike in all other areas....except no additional material up top....

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, that's not the one I'd be giving you ....

nkace
May 23rd, 2005, 02:33 PM
I just have to say you guys aren't only informative but entertaining as well.
3 suits??? For real? Wow.

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
I do have a lovely 2 piece training suit that I have to return b/c it's too big ...

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, but keep in mind those workouts are along the lines ... jump in swim your warm-up ... do a few 25s ... get out...

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Most of the girls I swam with over the years DID NOT have swim training in mind when they wore a two piece suit.....

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
I have a tan in mind when I swim outside with them. They are Nike training suits similiar to what many US girls wore at the Olympic Training camps ... when I wear the other two pieces swimming is not what I have in mind, but being a swimmer I have far more training suits than fun suits.

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Got it...
I did see Dana Vollmer in a two piece suit at the Olympics during a workout....Dana swam with my Son Matt for years in Fort Worth, TX and she was on the 4 X 200 Free relay the won Gold in Athens and smashed the W.R. that the E. Germans held for 17 years. Dana is a neat young lady and a great swimmer....and it was strange seeing her in a two piece workout suit......Dana also has GREAT parents in Les and Kathy Vollmer....and she is a winner both in and out of the pool....Lastly, I understand she may swim for the Univ. of Fla. next year.

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Tom, were you at the Olympics? I'd be really jealous if you were ... I'd give my first born to be in Beijing...

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
No, I didn't go, but since Dana was swimming and I watched her grow up and her Dad is one of my best friends....and my Son swam with her for years....I got a friend in NY City to pull all the feeds off the link and he e-mail the footage to me daily....that is where I saw her at a workout pool in a two piece....And, I think it was actually in Spain where our team went to workout in Europe.

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Ah, got it. She seems like a cool girl, surprised she is going to U FL ...

Tom Ellison
May 23rd, 2005, 03:37 PM
Why? The Gators have a great swim program....

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 03:39 PM
They do ... I just don't typically think of them as an Olympian program (the men more so with Lochte) ... I think USC, Texas, Georgia, Stanford, Cal ... I guess I just forget about them.

Seagurl51
May 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM
How beneficial do you guys think it is to wear two suits? I was thinking I might have to start doing that. I have four in my possession right now, what would you consider overkill?

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Honestly I don't notice much of a difference unless I wear one of my really stretched out suits. You don't want the top suit to be really tight b/c a- that defeats the purpose and b - it'll restrict your movement and/or be uncomfortable.

I wear two suits, I have some teammates that do and some that don't. I need all the help I can get right now.

aztimm
May 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Most of the guys on my masters team who swim in the morning in the faster 4-5 lanes wear a drag suit. Maybe some for modesty, I think most for the extra resistance. I wear a mesh-type drag suit on top of a regular swimsuit, and definitely notice a difference in drag with it on, and with it off. If we are doing a set of say 10 200's, I'll take it off for the last one and can always feel the difference. I have done a 3rd suit just before a meet, but that is just another regular suit, and not sure if it has nearly the same impact.

Strangely, this morning the university team was practicing right after us, and I didn't see a single guy with a drag suit on. Don't know if there was a reason for that or if they just don't use them.

It was a bit tough getting used to wearing the 2nd suit...to me it makes me feel warmer, but also makes my arms burn just a little more. I had to work it in gradually, over a few months, with a little more yardage each time until I could do a whole workout with it on.

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I do get warmer with a second suit on ... frequently at least one of the suits I wear (when I wear more than one) is not appropriate to wear alone any more so to get more life out of it I wear it with another suit. One of my favorite suits got a hole in the butt from me sitting on the side of the pool taking my time to get in (I guess I deserved it) so that one always has to be worn under another suit.

I think with the evolution of fastskins and the like drag suits in practice aren't as important.

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I remember as an age grouper wearing more than one because they would wear out.

I've worn nylons to simulate drag.

Today, as a Masters swimmer, sadly, I only need to wear one suit because the cause of the drag is on the inside! :p

jswim
May 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Michael Heather
You guys wear suits in the pool?

lol, Hell no!
I don't know what these guys are talking about..