PDA

View Full Version : Busy paramedics at Nationals

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Did anyone notice that the paramedics were very busy at Nationals?

I saw a lady dislocate her shoulder
My teammate badly dislocated his finger and broke it
Another, broke his toe
Another whacked his foot on the wall
I saw an older lady bleeding profusely
I, myself, forgot to breathe the first 80 or so yards of the 200 back, hyperventilated, and had paramedics...

And that's just what I saw! I certainly wasn't there the whole time. Anything else, or was it mostly my team? :p

dorothyrde
May 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Sounds like a dangerous meet! Did you end up OK, and ready to swim another event, or did you take it easy after that?

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I was fine. My husband tried to tell them that I was just hyperventilating. It's happened twice before, once when I had pneumonia and swam a 200 back at Nationals, and once when I was sick and pregnant! I swam it again after the meet on Saturday and went 6 seconds faster. :) I just needed to know I could do the time...

Really, I was mortified. I was sooooo embarrassed. My pride was the only thing hurt. Swam the rest of my races :) I was a mental case, but what else is new! :p

dorothyrde
May 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
You get 1000 kudos for swimming it......I don't like backstroke!

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I don't mind swimming it, I just didn't realize I never learned how to breathe while I swim it!!!

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Karen I have a similar problem ... I have more trouble breathing on backstroke than on fly, free, or breast ...

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm really working on breathing for one thing, but also, when I do breathe to breathe every other stroke or two, just like free. I've been swimming for 25 years and am still learning (or, more likely, I'm just not too bright!)

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 12:24 PM
lol ... haha ... I haven't been swimming nearly as long as you have (about 24 years less) but I this is why backstroke at times is my most hated stroke. When I swim it fast I can't breathe, though I think (think being the key word) that I am getting better at this ... or I just swim darn slow (which is more likely)

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I swam a ton of back this morning. All I was thinking about was breathing. And I'll keep doing it until the 200 back is over at LC Nationals. I need to be vindicated!!!

Keep at it Heather, you can do it :)

born2fly
May 24th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Did you see the guy that almost drowned in his 200 fly? Well, that was me lol. I was going into my last turn and at the flags took in a tidal wave into my lungs, it stopped me in my tracks, went under water and came up gagging for about 20 seconds. Trooper that I am I did not stop and did finish that last lap although I was DQ. So, I went for the punishment again on Sunday and swam the 200fly in place of my free and came in with a 1:59.05.

Enjoyed the meet and thought it was run execellently.

Kudos to everyone involved in organizing that meet.

greg

hrietz
May 24th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
Did anyone notice that the paramedics were very busy at Nationals?

I saw a lady dislocate her shoulder
My teammate badly dislocated his finger and broke it
Another, broke his toe
Another whacked his foot on the wall
I saw an older lady bleeding profusely
I, myself, forgot to breathe the first 80 or so yards of the 200 back, hyperventilated, and had paramedics...

And that's just what I saw! I certainly wasn't there the whole time. Anything else, or was it mostly my team? :p

One of my teammates had an asthma attack during her mile. In the same race she also cut her foot on the wall during a turn. She ended up visiting the paramedics who I'm told were cute!!! I did hear them call for an "orthopedic doctor" a couple of times. At least they didn't call for me, a "pathology doctor", or we really would have known that something bad had happened...

MegSmath
May 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Karen, it even went on AFTER the meet! Two of my teammates took a later flight than I did, and as they were boarding the man in front of them went down with a seizure. Fortunately, one of my teammates is a doctor (although a pediatrician, and the patient was not a kid) and the other is a nurse, so they took care of the guy until the paramedics got there. A little more excitement than they bargained for!

By the way, it was so nice to meet you at the airport! I knew having my name embroidered on my swim bag would come in handy someday!

Meg

knelson
May 24th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by born2fly
So, I went for the punishment again on Sunday and swam the 200fly in place of my free and came in with a 1:59.05.

Nice work. I was in the lane next to you in the 200 free.

Back to the topic, as for me, I saw the ambulance parked outside the pool, but didn't see the paramedics working on a single person. I did see a few real nice sunburns!

ande
May 24th, 2005, 02:15 PM
glad you're OK
It's amazing how many things go wrong at meets; how many people get injured or have a medical crisis.

how can anyone have trouble breathing in backstroke?
Your mouth should be out of the water most of the time

ande

I don't mind swimming it, I just didn't realize I never learned how to breathe while I swim it!!!

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Ande,

Yes, I know that!
I FORGOT to breathe. It was VERY easy speed and I was just swimming, not breathing! I had been pacing my 50s in warm up at 32's 33's, no problem.

I started, swam, felt great, no legs at all. About 80 yards I realized, oh @#@* I'm not breathing. I went to use my legs off the wall at the 100 and they literally seized from the hip flexors down. I was 1:09 (plan 1:10, come back in 1:12). Then I started to panic because now I needed to breathe (legs needed air!) and I couldn't. I hyperventilated from the 125 on. Not good.

Very good lesson. I did swim it again though right after the relay-1:10-1:14 (I was happy, especially after the quick sprint right before :) )

Kimberlie Streed
May 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
This is better than the soap opra thread. How exciting, the swimming, the reality of the emergencies and all. It is almost as though I were there.

Congrats to you all who were at Nationals!

Listening to your struggles and having been on-line all weekend watching the times has me longing for next year with hopes of being there myself.

jswim
May 24th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Karen I have a similar problem ... I have more trouble breathing on backstroke than on fly, free, or breast ...

Yes, exactly!... why is that anyway? I do the same thing, I can't seem to get my breathing regulated as I do on the other strokes.

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I know now that I've started really thinking and concentrating on it, it's not so hard. This morning I just thought of it as breathing like I do for free- although I know I can sneak in little breaths here or there when I need them because MY MOUTH IS OUT OF THE WATER, ANDE :p

Jeanette, are you comfortable on your back in the water?

jswim
May 24th, 2005, 03:20 PM
yes, I feel pretty comfortable on my back, and my stroke is ok, but I tend to breathe erratically (sp?) while doing backstroke for some reason.
It's like I get out of breath right from the start.

Seagurl51
May 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I hope this hasn't been mentioned already (I'm a terrible reader so I could have missed it), but for those having breathing problems with back just think of it like fly, breast, or free. With those you have a rythm and a certain that you have to breathe. Do the same for back. I tend to breathe about every thrid, just like I do in free. Then hopefully you won't forget, because it's become part of you natural stroke rythm.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great times from all those who went!! Sounds like it was a blast!!!

Conniekat8
May 24th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Now I'm really bummed out I didn't go!
I stayed at home an watched ER reruns, and missed all the excitement!

Well, I was thinking of you guys, that must be why I jabbed myself with the x-acto knife sunday night while cutting open a box.

Karen, congrats on the 200 back! I swam it twice at zone meets, and got first both thimes, cause noone else would swim it!
It's kind of funny to get a first with a time of over 4 minutes! Oh well!

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I'm really surprised there weren't more peole with asthma problems. I never go to florida becasue of the weird pollens inthe air.

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Connie I swam the 400IM at state and got second place. I told my dad (we have this major competitive thing between us and he dq'd in college in the 100 fly intramurals) and asked how many people swam it I finally told him two, but darn it I earned that medal ... just b/c no one else is willing to swim it doesn't mean you didn't do great! (PS - my time was beyond pathetic, and I actually went way faster in practice when I did it a month earlier)

Conniekat8
May 24th, 2005, 03:57 PM
yeah, my time is nowhere near competetive, I think that was my first time swimming the 200 back, I barely practiced it at all, and all I was thinking was, just finish and don't DQ on the turn!
I still have a tendency to flip over and go into the wall a bit too far from the wall.
I just learned something that vaguley resembles backstroke (and breaststroke and butterfly) no more than few months ago.
Boy, do I have a ways to go! :D

I actually got more satisfaction out of knowing that I scored some points for my team, then out of getting a medal. Makes me feel good that even though I'm not fast, I can contribute a few points :D.

hrietz
May 24th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Keep at those 200 stroke events. That is where the money is as far as placing at Nationals, Top Ten, etc. I think in some of the 200 stroke events at Nats. even in younger age groups there weren't 10 entrants!!! I even made Top Ten one year in the 200 LCM back and I am far from a great backstroker. Unfortunately, my best events are the heavily populated 50 and 100 freestyles...

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 04:25 PM
The 200 stroke events are where it's at ... (there isn't a 200 stroke event that I enjoy) but I'll suck it up and swim for the team and get points anytime ... If I didn't want team points there is NO WAY I would have gotten my butt out of bed early and swam the 400IM (well probably not anyway ... )

jswim
May 24th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
I hope this hasn't been mentioned already (I'm a terrible reader so I could have missed it), but for those having breathing problems with back just think of it like fly, breast, or free. With those you have a rythm and a certain that you have to breathe. Do the same for back. I tend to breathe about every thrid, just like I do in free. Then hopefully you won't forget, because it's become part of you natural stroke rythm.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great times from all those who went!! Sounds like it was a blast!!!

Thanks Kyra,
I'll give it a go tonight and see how I do.. I guess I never really thought about the breathing during backstroke, it just sort of takes over me and does what it wants..gotta remember.. I"M in charge! lol..
thanks again,
J

waves101
May 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I needed the medics the night of returning home. I did pretty well staying out of the sun (just a nice shade of pink) until after my last event (the 200 free) on Sunday. Then my wife dragged me over to the beach for about an hour. Needless to say, about 1 am I awoke and needed something for the sunburn!!! Luckily, someone at the meet told me the white vinegar trick. I slapped some on and was able to sleep the rest of the night. Thanks for the advice!

SWinkleblech
May 24th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I was told by my daughters swim coach that you breathe in and then out every other stroke on the back. So you breathe in, stroke two times, breathe out, stroke two times......
It has helped me when I remember to do it. The hard part is remembering.

swimmieAvsFan
May 25th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I'm really surprised there weren't more peole with asthma problems. I never go to florida becasue of the weird pollens inthe air. heheheh. i'm exactly the opposite! i love swimming in florida in the spring because my wicked allergies are never ever as bad. i usually spend the whole spring sneezing, but i only sneezed once while at the meet. but the second our plane touched down in philly, the sneezes were back. (maybe i'm just allergic to PA, who knows?!)

and nashville heather, your friend is right- the paramedics were cute! :D luckily it wasn't me who needed their help, it was my sandle that self destructed on the way to the pool. so i got some first aid tape to fix it. and the paramedic that helped me out was definitely cute...

overall i had a total blast. got love the 18-24 age group- my 200 back wasn't even a full heat!

hrietz
May 25th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by swimmieAvsFan

overall i had a total blast. got love the 18-24 age group- my 200 back wasn't even a full heat!

Enjoy that 18-24 age group. Wish that I had taken advantage but there were two obstacles : 1. college and 2. medical school. I wish that I could go back to even the 30-34 age group. There are some excellent swimmers but it doesn't have the depth of the 35-39 (mine) or the 40-44 age groups...Of course it wasn't that way a few years ago. Oh well it just inspires me to keep getting faster...

h2osmiley
May 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM
my sandle that self destructed on the way to the pool

Mollie...it sounds like you definitely had an eventful weekend! Awesome job in your races at nationals!! I'll see ya in a few weeks.

swimr4life
May 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM
KAREN!!!

I'm so relieved you were ok after your 200 Back!! I was watching you swim the race and cheering you on!! You looked FANTASTIC!!! Then, at the 150 turn, you all of a sudden looked like you were hurting. I was standing next to your coach and he said,"Something is wrong! She is really hurting!" When you finished and were struggling so hard to breathe, I was very worried about you. When the paramedics came over and put you on the heart monitor, I got very concerned. I'm soooo glad you were "ok" ;) I'm sure you didn't feel "ok" but at least it wasn't something serious. That had to be scary for you.

I have to tell you how sweet it was to see your children and husband cheering for you. The kids brought a lump and tears to my eyes!! It was very sweet!! I wish my family could have come with me. Unfortunately, my girls are older and had exams they couldn't miss. Enjoy it while you can!!

swimmieAvsFan
May 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by hrietz
Enjoy that 18-24 age group. oh i am don't worry! i'm not at all looking foward to aging up in january... at least i get one more LCM and SCM season as 18-24. thank god for january birthdays. :D

Originally posted by h2oru
Mollie...it sounds like you definitely had an eventful weekend! Awesome job in your races at nationals!! I'll see ya in a few weeks. that's for sure!!! your races were pretty darn good too! see you at the terrapin cup...

Tom Ellison
May 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I noticed Graham Johnston didn't swim the the SCY Nationals....Anyone know why? He is without a doubt one the greatest Masters Swimmers I have ever seen swim....
I swam the Mile Cable Swim (Nationals), Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge with him....His records are off the chart....

Karen Duggan
May 25th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Hi Beth,

I was also embarrassed because of our conversation just before in the warm up pool- do you remember? Outside smoke, crash and burn- I didn't think it'd really happen. Oh well. I learned.

Thanks for watching and your concern. And thanks for telling me the conversation Kerry was having! I didn't get the audio!! :p
Pat was trying to tell them I was just hyperventilating...
next time.

BTW Miss National Champion- you are AWESOME! Congratulations. You are soooo fast. Way to go. :)

swimr4life
May 26th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Hi Beth,

I was also embarrassed because of our conversation just before in the warm up pool- do you remember? Outside smoke, crash and burn- I didn't think it'd really happen. Oh well. I learned.

Thanks for watching and your concern. And thanks for telling me the conversation Kerry was having! I didn't get the audio!! :p
Pat was trying to tell them I was just hyperventilating...
next time.

BTW Miss National Champion- you are AWESOME! Congratulations. You are soooo fast. Way to go. :)

I was serious when I told you to be "outside smoke" hoping you could win your heat in an outside lane! You were doing close to that until your 150!! I'm sooo sorry that happened to you! If you get your breathing down on your back....watch out!! ;)

Thanks Karen! I'm still smilling and pinching myself. Nationals was great!! I just wish we could have talked more!! We were all so busy trying to stay in the shade we didn't get to see each other much!

I'm so proud of you for getting right back in the pool and racing your little heart out! Good job on your swims!