PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider yourself an athlete?

Seagurl51
May 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yet another random question that I was curious about. Obviously everyone here is either physically fit or well on their way, but do you consider yourself to be an athlete? What do you consider an athlete to be?

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I don't know how to define athlete. My friend was asked on a date if she was athletic she responded with yes. It's a good thing she emailed me that b/c I laughed for about 20 minutes. She is the least athletic person I know and does nothing to make herself an athlete. Well ... she roller blades at a lesiurely pace ever so often, which is better than nothing but still ... (she is also VERY tiny)

Now, my coach tells me all the time that I am an athlete ... especially when we are doing no breather sets (Heather you are an atlete you can hold your breathe for a 50 (I laugh)) Anyway ... I think all masters swimmers would be considered athletes, though I'm not sure how important competition is to be an athlete...

Basically, do I consider myself an athlete yes. Do I have a definition, no.

jswim
May 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I wasn't quite sure how to answer this one.. hmm... would I like to consider myself an athlete sure!... do I really think I AM one?
uhhhhh.......

I'm striving to become one, but I guess I don't know what I would really consider an athlete either... I suppose I am, though I used to be in much better shape than I am now, however, I'm working my way back! inch by inch......put put put...

i think i can i think i can.. ;)

poolmonkey
May 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, but what constitutes an athlete? :confused: That's tough.

I think people confuse active with athletic.

Gil
May 24th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Websters College Dictionary: Athelete- A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical activity, coordination, stamina and strength.

FindingMyInnerFish
May 24th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Gil
Websters College Dictionary: Athelete- A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical activity, coordination, stamina and strength.

Well, I train but ... gifted? I think of someone either in the Olympics or having some promise of being there. But that seems too narrow. I know of ppl who are very good at sports and would feel comfortable calling them athletes, even tho. they might not be at the level that I mentioned.

I don't think of myself as an athlete....but I don't really think it's a huge issue for me in any case, yet it's a good question when I think of it.

I just love to run and swim! I hardly would say I excell at either, but I enjoy them immensely and I hope I can keep up both.

And I share this fwiw:

John Kruk, former Phillies catcher, was once approached by a woman who saw him chewing tobacco. She asked him what kind of an example that was for an athlete to set.

He replied, "I ain't no athlete lady, I'm a ballplayer."

SWinkleblech
May 24th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Can I say that I am athletic but not be an athlete? If I would go by the defintion of being gifted I wouldn't consider myself an athlete. I work very hard but my times and abilities are not so great. Although I know a lot of people who know that I swim and run would consider me an athlete. Mainly because they don't do it themselves. I am not so sure I am making any sense.

tjrpatt
May 24th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I used to think of myself as an athlete but not at the moment.

aztimm
May 25th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Hey FindingMyInnerFish,

That quote made me laugh... Many of our 'professional athletes' today don't look athletic at all. Yet they are still rolling in the money...

nkace
May 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I would say you can have an athletic figure from like doingaerobics or yoga but does that make you an athlete per se??

Peter Cruise
May 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM
certainly we can agree that we're all athletic supporters...

69gscal
May 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Rebecca
May 26th, 2005, 02:16 AM
I got athlete's foot at our zone champs, so I've decided that makes me an athlete (lemons into lemonade:) )

I didn't think of myself as an athlete, or as being athletic, when I was younger, but I think that in the last three years I've found my inner athlete. I do strength training, yoga, swim, and compete in meets. I'm not "gifted" with anything but patience and persistence, but I work hard at my workouts and help organize and motivate the team--and I became an athlete the first time I got up on the blocks and dove in at my first Master's meet, January, 2003.

Leonard Jansen
May 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise

Yes, I've been sporting supporters....errr... I mean supporting sports for years.

-LBJ

Tom Ellison
May 26th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Of course I am not an athlete, I’m a Moose…..

Seagurl51
May 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Than that begs the question...would you consider Moose to be athletic? They do run and jump and graze a lot.

Alex
May 26th, 2005, 01:18 PM
When I think of an athlete, I think of a person with a high level performance at any given sport, someone with a World Class level yield.....

So as I am thinking of going to the World Masters Championships 2006 at SF and compete, I consider I am an athlete.... but then when I compare my times with the World records in my age group, I guess I am just a guy who wants to become an athlete. :D

Nette
May 30th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I consider myself an athlete. I'm someone who works hard at a competitive level. I compete against other people who also train at the same level that I do. Athletes are people that work hard and compete against people who have the same goals as each other.

susanehr
May 31st, 2005, 03:47 PM
Swimmers, you are not giving yourself enough credit. Don't you know people that cannot swim? Haven't you seen in the news were someone drowned and quote "He was a strong swimmer." Come on, how many people in your office could get up at 5 in the morning, swim (and I don't me crawl) 2,000 or 3,000 yards in an hour, and do a combination of freestyle, butterfly, backstroke, and breastroke. Of course we are athletes!

At the next pool party you go to ask an "athete" to swim a few lap fly. I think they would agree we Master Swimmers are athletes!!!!

jean sterling
June 7th, 2005, 01:25 PM
According to the Yahoo dictionary, an athele is "A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts".

So, yes, I'm an athlete!

geochuck
July 6th, 2005, 09:17 AM
When I was young and went to the pool you had to step into a foot bath of chlorinated water. This was to kill athletes foot, I guess we where athletes before stepping into this water, I don't know about after.

Sparky
July 7th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
Than that begs the question...would you consider Moose to be athletic? They do run and jump and graze a lot.

I hate to be Conan the Grammarian here, but this is one of my pet peeves:

"Begs The Question" is not the same thing as "raises the question." Begging the question is a logically flawed argument that raises unproven assumptions. "When did you stop beating your wife?" is an example.

Sorry. I had to intervene. For the record, I consider myself athletic, but not an athlete. (Howzat for splitting hairs?)

:)

Adam

debby golob
July 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
I think the athlete is in all of us just waiting to come out.
We all were swimmers right from the very beginning.

iswim41
July 12th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I think the word coordinated is a big part of being an athlete. Coordinated enough to participate in a sport w/o killing yourself or anybody else!

Seriously, I think of myself as an athlete who got a bit sidetracked for awhile and is now on a path of being athletic to be healthy. I no longer compete and when I hear the sentence "i am an athlete" I would assume that person competes in their sport.

penguin4501
July 17th, 2005, 01:19 AM
To me somebody who's athletic participate in competitions. Since I don't, I guess I can only classify myself as "active".

geochuck
July 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by geochuck
When I was young and went to the pool you had to step into a foot bath of chlorinated water. This was to kill athletes foot, I guess we where athletes before stepping into this water, I don't know about after. How to cure athlete's foot http://www.alive.com/home/index.php?page_type=article&topic_id=1001228&site_id=27&article_id=7801&go_id=2&take_id=6

exrunner
July 23rd, 2005, 01:13 AM
I consider myself an athlete - as a chess player! - but not as a swimmer.

Cherub
August 1st, 2005, 02:59 PM
There should have been a place to answer "used to be." And, while we're quibbling, Jon Kruk was a first baseman, not a catcher.

Cherub

Rowdy
August 1st, 2005, 05:56 PM
I don't think you have to compete to be an athlete.

I always considered someone who had an innate ability to be athletic. An athlete works at a sport talent/no talent competition/no competition.

I compete, but consider my teammates who don't to be just as much an athlete as I am.

hmlee
August 1st, 2005, 07:53 PM
I think there's a difference between going to the gym a lot and seriously training / competing in a sport. It's one thing to swim laps or to run for pleasure and another to swim in a meet or run a marathon. Both of the later activities take training, a focus on certain dietary things, and often extra activities like strength training.

Does that mean those people who train at the level of a competitive swimmer or runner or cyclist and choose not to compete are not athletes? No, I don't think that's the case. I think the defining criteria for the athlete is someone who can compete at some level (masters, college, professional, olympic, whatever you call marathon level). Whether or not they chose to is up to them.

F'ueco
August 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM
I agree with hmlee's statement. I consider myself not because I compete, but because I could compete. And I probably will do so more often in the near future.

I see a lot of 'amateur racers' (meaning Cat 2 and 3) while I am out riding my bike. I can keep up with most of them, and I suspect that most of the ones I can't keep up with are the Cat 1 boys (and women). Yet I have never done a bike race in my life. But riding 60-120 miles per week gives you the endurance base of a racer.

Now if I can just convince myself to do more races.

AguaMan
August 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
I am an athlete. Swimming has been in my blood since i was 8 years old (52 now). The (literally) spiritual experience i have when swimming tells me, i am where i was created to be. Also, to be an athlete merely requires "BEING" an athlete. There is a "beingness" to athlete. Hope this ain't too metaphysical but it is my belief.
byefornow

Damage Inc
August 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Of course Im an athelete, Im a Triathlete.
:eek:

hmlee
October 20th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I guess now I'm a varsity athlete...but sometimes I still don't feel like much of one.

F'ueco
October 21st, 2005, 11:47 AM
I guess now that I have done a triathlon, I can consider myself a true athlete again. And my swimming times are beginning to drop down to more respectable times. Now if I can just get my running times down... :mad:

ALM
November 6th, 2005, 10:17 PM
This athlete-or-not-an-athlete discussion has been very interesting to me. I am a person who possesses NO natural athletic ability whatsoever. I was always the brainy kid who excelled at academics but failed everything in the President's Physical Fitness Test. Now, at age 44, I'm STILL mad at my junior high gym teachers. If it weren't for them, I would have had straight A's in every subject every year from Grades 1 through 12.

It's ironic, then, that I "found" Masters swimming at age 26 and have stuck with it, attending at least 3 workouts per week, for 18 years. And that I've swum in dozens of Masters swim meets and open water swims.

Thanks to that total lack of athletic ability, I've finished last in my share of races. And I've frustrated a handful of coaches who have been unable to improve my freestyle.

But you know what? I went to a new doctor a couple of months ago. As soon as she put the stethoscope on my chest and listened, she said, "Wow. You've got the heart of an athlete."

So while I may not "deserve" to call myself an athlete, I do. I even describe myself as a "competitive swimmer". (Hey, technically it's true. I swim in competitions, don't I? I just don't mention the part about finishing last!)

BORN2BNH2O
November 7th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Yes, I am forever an athlete.

The Fortress
January 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Yes, I am forever an athlete.

Very inspiring. Me too.

Most people I know think athletes are either skilled kids, college athletes or professionals. But the above quote is much more optimistic.

SwimStud
January 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Very inspiring. Me too.

Most people I know think athletes are either skilled kids, college athletes or professionals. But the above quote is much more optimistic.

I said no because I wouldn't want FlyQueen to think I was conceited...

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I said no because I wouldn't want FlyQueen to think I was conceited...

I think it's safe to say you're an athlete without conceit. Don't you have a meet soon? Although I don't think you need a meet to be an athlete... I guess having a goal helps train.

islandsox
January 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I know people who are athletic and even though they don't compete, I view them as athletes, after all, they are people who can play baseball, ice skate, run track, etc. extremely well.

I have been told by a man down here on the island that I am not an athlete, and he even went so far as to say I was an embarrassment to all athletes because I was so very old (57 when he told me this). My reply to him was this:

I may not look like an athlete to you, but I am a swimmer and I proved it in the triathlon 1 mile swim that year placing 2nd out of all women and most of the men.

Any person who engages in physical activity weekly, daily, etc., and continues with it, is both athletic and an athlete in my book, and as an athlete ages and continues to be athletic, they are true athletes. Because as body parts start to hurt a bit more with age and we continue in our athletic ways, this is a good indication of those who are athletes, competing or not.

So, yes, I am a swimming athlete.

Donna

FlyQueen
January 24th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Donna!!! I'm glad you are back. The guy was obviously an idiot. He also sounds like he's sexist and ageist. He also must NOT realize what a great athlete you are. You should have busted out strories about the good old days with Schollander and Spitz ... ;)

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I think there's a difference between going to the gym a lot and seriously training / competing in a sport. It's one thing to swim laps or to run for pleasure and another to swim in a meet or run a marathon. Both of the later activities take training, a focus on certain dietary things, and often extra activities like strength training.

Does that mean those people who train at the level of a competitive swimmer or runner or cyclist and choose not to compete are not athletes? No, I don't think that's the case. I think the defining criteria for the athlete is someone who can compete at some level (masters, college, professional, olympic, whatever you call marathon level). Whether or not they chose to is up to them.

This is an odd comment. Obviously, most people "can" compete, even if they are just going to the gym or swimming laps. Does the fact that you "can" compete make you an athlete? Or is there an athlete meritocracy? I work out pretty seriously and don't compete much due to time constraints. I consider myself an athlete. I think Donna's definition is pretty good.

It seems like some people never compete, some only compete at big meets or in good pools, and some only go to Nationals. What is the rationale for that? Is it a time issue or preference issue?

ensignada
January 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM
In the Philadelphia area, we don't have "athletes", we have "ath-el-etes".

I don't consider myself an athlete yet, but someday....

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Yep.

You are what you eat.
You are what you think.

SwimStud
January 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Yep.

You are what you eat.
You are what you think.

I'm a stripper?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

swim4me
January 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Any person who engages in physical activity weekly, daily, etc., and continues with it, is both athletic and an athlete in my book, and as an athlete ages and continues to be athletic, they are true athletes. Because as body parts start to hurt a bit more with age and we continue in our athletic ways, this is a good indication of those who are athletes, competing or not.

So, yes, I am a swimming athlete.

Donna

Donna, I cannot believe someone would be so rude!!!!! :shakeshead: :shakeshead: You gave him a great answer and I hope you let that awful experience flow off of you like water on a duck. You have become one of my secret heroes and I am so excited about your upcoming swim and the training for it. Please keep us posted. I pray I am one half as athletic as you are when I am 57!!!:woot: :woot:

globuggie
January 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I consider myself an athlete. I think one thing that separates athletes from the rest is their goals or reasons for training/working out/etc. - they train to improve (or maintain, as the case may be), rather than just to get or stay in shape. It's hard to define what makes someone an athlete, but goals are a big part of it.

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm a stripper?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Do you think you're one?
I won't ask if you eat them.
:rofl: