PDA

View Full Version : Mission Viejo-LC Nationals

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 05:07 PM
All right. SC Nationals is over... I can now ask:

Who's going to LC in Mission Viejo?
I really want to go to avenge my 200 back fiasco- I don't think my hubby will be able to go (plus he hates LC, not enough turns, his are REALLY good)...

We must organize get togethers!

ande
May 24th, 2005, 05:11 PM
KAREN
i tried to reply to your private message
it says your mail box is full
so i don't know if you got my message or not

ande

Fishgrrl
May 24th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Well.....I might have shoulder surgery...(sob!) but I'm thinking of going anyway...just so I can cheer you guys on (and of course party!!)

I wouldn't qualify for anything (that dang 40-44 age group...;) but if I do swim, I would swim the 100, 200 and 400 - free of course - and then just worship those who do those distances IM....

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Another nationals for all of you, another wedding for me (darn people getting married!)

For those of you that aren't married things to consider when picking your wedding date

1 - USMS nationals and worlds
2 - Buckeye football games (Michigan weekend is a big no-no)
3 - Sporting events in general (game 7 of World Series in which the Cubs were playing)

Those are just off the top of my head ...

KARI - HI! Stop disappearing!

If the wedding is called off I'll be there (there are days when this seems likely ;) )

jswim
May 24th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Well, I don't know when the nationals or other dates are, but I am getting married June 16th in the lovely Virgin Islands..,

I CAN'T WAIT! I won't have any trouble finding water to keep swimming!!

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM
That is so awesome, when/if I get married I want a destination wedding. VERY COOL!

knelson
I plan to go, but not sure how many days yet. My parents live in San Diego so I'll visit them and drive up and swim a couple days.

Fishgrrl
Keather! Special K's...!! I'm here (waving hands) - super busy at work! I haven't even been able to read the posts!

I'm changing jobs (same dept., different job) and I'm getting ready for the new gal, etc.....

Anyway - yeah, if people would just stop getting married and having surgery and stuff.....:p

Karen - LOL in spite of myself on the having trouble breathing on your back thing....I CANNOT relax on my back; I get very nervous; probably because I can't see where I'm going... but ya did it anyway! Now you know.....

SwiminONandON
May 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I think my real problem with backstroke breathing has more to do with the turns ... I like backstroke, totally relaxed, I think my breathing gets messed up on turns though ... who knows, I am a bit mental.

Conniekat8
May 24th, 2005, 05:28 PM
We're trying to have publicised get-togethers nightly, where the restaurants will give you guys a discount...

The meet social will be a beach party! You should go!

Karen Duggan
May 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Ande-

I just sent you a lovely e-mail telling you that I cleaned out my mailbox. I pushed send and I got the message that said, "This mailbox is full!" Hmmph. :p

Please send again.

Swimmer Bill
May 24th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I'll be there.

I have to admit I was a little frazzled in Ft. Lauderdale (a little? OK, a lot!). It has been a very busy year -- but things are good and I'm hoping to get back in the water soon!

It was great to see many friends and meet many other new friends in Ft. Lauderdale. I hope to see you all in Mission Viejo!

Swimmer Bill

Kira
May 24th, 2005, 08:41 PM
It won't be my best meet ever, but I plan on being there & would love to enjoy many get togethers:D

tjrpatt
May 24th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I think that I will if I have the funds for the airfare. It would be great to finally visit California. Plus, I know that I would swim fast at the meet.

swimmieAvsFan
May 25th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by tjrpatt
I think that I will if I have the funds for the airfare. It would be great to finally visit California.

same here! cross-country airfare is rather pricey... especially from our dinky little state college airport. :rolleyes:

aquageek
May 25th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON

3 - Sporting events in general (game 7 of World Series in which the Cubs were playing)

This shouldn't rule out too many days, somewhere around zero would be my guess.

Kimberlie Streed
May 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Question for Fishgrrl -- you say you may be having surgery. First I have seen you make mention of this. Whats the injury and what have you been told about returning to swimming?

I'm scheduled for a full rotator cuff tear repair on June 1 and can't find out much about people coming back to competition after such surgery.

Were you given an option of no surgery -- as you say you "may" be having surgery?

Fishgrrl
May 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Kim - long story short -

About 8 years ago I fell while running and destroyed the muscles/ligaments that hold the rotator cuff together with the shoulder; therefore my shoulder doesn't really stay in the socket. Somehow, with lots of weightlifting, I've managed to be able to swim quite a bit (stopped running almost 6 years ago) but it's gotten to the point that my entire arm goes numb during the night or when I swim more than a mile nonstop.

According to the sports med doc I am a good candidate for surgery because 1) my age - 40 on Sunday...as we get older, our shoulders tighten but my injured one has not, 2) time when injury occured - should be better by now but it's not and 3) I've been strengthening for quite some time so post surgery healing should go really well.

I have an MRI scheduled for June 20 and another appt. to discuss it with the dr. on June 27.

You will probably do a lot of physical therapy after surgery to strengthen and according to my dr. (you should ask yours too and do some research) there is no reason why we couldn't swim again.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!! Make sure you get some good pain medication...! ;)

Kimberlie Streed
May 25th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Kari, thanks for the information and encouragement. I also heard from another who was very encouraging. I am in fairly good shape and hope that will help. Even though I haven't really swam since mid-April, the state meet, I've been running and whatever weights and core exercise I can still manage dispite my shoulder pain.

I can't believe you've been able to swim for 6 years with such an injured shoulder. Good for you and my best to you.

Just a week to go now till the surgery. I'll quit whinning now and will let you know the outcome. Thanks again for your encouragement. Enjoy Mission Viejo! Hopefully I'll be there next year.