PDA

View Full Version : article in USMS Swimmer Magazine: May / June 2005 Issue

ande
May 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
What did you think of the article in USMS Swimmer Magazine: May / June 2005 Issue

"Exercise Influences Sexual Performance and Desirability"

http://www.usmsswimmer.com/200505/healthyswimmer.pdf

Ande

SwiminONandON
May 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I don't find that surprising at all. The more you workout the more self-confident you are ... there's also an increase in energy level ... I do find it surprising that women who work out 6-7 days a week have a decreased level of percieved sexual attractiveness ... but I credit that to being more obsessive and likely exercising that much due to poor body image rather than exercising that much because of the desire to swim a 200 free in under 2:00 ...

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 25th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I think that maybe some people are too obsessed with body image, sexual attractiveness and how others perceive them.

Karen Duggan
May 25th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I think sometimes I'm just too damn tired! :p

LindsayNB
May 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM
The article references the following article:
http://www.ejhs.org/volume7/fitness.html
which includes this paragraph:

Furthermore, a Harvard University study of 160 male and female swimmers in their 40s and 60s showed a positive relationship between regular physical activity and the frequency and enjoyment of sexual intercourse. Results stated swimmers in their 60s reported sex lives comparable to people in the general population in their 40s (Krucoff & Krucoff, 2000). Bortz & Wallace (1999) found a high level of sexual activity and satisfaction to be correlated with degree of fitness in both older men and women. A regular exercise program combined with regular sexual activity may be supportive elements for successful aging.

FindingMyInnerFish
May 25th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Too many articles like that and the darn pool will get way too crowded! ;)

Karen Duggan
May 25th, 2005, 12:49 PM
No need for Viagara, just start swimming!

FindingMyInnerFish
May 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
I don't find that surprising at all. The more you workout the more self-confident you are ... there's also an increase in energy level ... I do find it surprising that women who work out 6-7 days a week have a decreased level of percieved sexual attractiveness ... but I credit that to being more obsessive and likely exercising that much due to poor body image rather than exercising that much because of the desire to swim a 200 free in under 2:00 ...

I'm actually more interested in how I swim when I'm at the pool than in how I look (but a sub 2-min. 200? in my dreams!). Of course, the benefits to my appearance aren't lost on me, but if I swam for that reason, I'd get so frustrated b/c I recognized at about the age of 30something (I'm a slow learner...) that I'd never be satisfied with the size of my thighs and such, and that life is too short to worry about stuff like that anyway.

SwiminONandON
May 25th, 2005, 12:56 PM
haha ... actually I'm growing more and more concerned with the size of my ever expanding shoulders and upper back ... but there's nothing that can be done so I embrace them ... I also must say I don't go through swimsuit trauma like my friends I'm in suits year round so I am fully aware of what I look like in a suit and I don't think there is a swimsuit season ...

Fishgrrl
May 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Just wear a big hat and no one will notice your thighs! ;)

you're right - who cares anyway??

Fishgrrl
May 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Keather - just get your blouses and jackets taylored! it's ALWAYS swimsuit season....!!

Fishgrrl
May 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
OOOPPPSS. I mean "tailored".

duhhhhhh

SwiminONandON
May 25th, 2005, 01:00 PM
God Bless the tailor ... I'm 5'2" so we are good friends ... but seriously the shoulders are getting a bit crazy ... they grow, the waist shrinks and I no longer own clothing that fits right ... But I'm totally ok with it all b/c I like being buff! ;)

Fishgrrl
May 25th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Tiny girl! I'm 5'8" and today I'm wearing 4 inch heels! A small girl who is buff who can majorly kick my butt in IMs....

I'm not worthy....(where's the worship icon?)

SwiminONandON
May 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM
majorly kick butt not so much ... more like is psycho enough to them and gut through them ...

Seagurl51
May 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Fishgrrl
I'm 5'8" and today I'm wearing 4 inch heels!

How do you do that?!? I'm 5'9" and am self concious when I wear heels, mostly because my friends are about 5 inches shorter than I am barefoot. I always feel like I'm freakishly tall in heels. I can't walk in heels very good either, flip-flops all the way baby!! I don't think there's a flip-flop season either, it's year round just like swimsuits.

SwiminONandON
May 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM
All you tall swimmers suck! I don't mind my height normally (in fact it's fine with me) but I wouldn't mind being a bit taller as a swimmer ...

OH and I love flipflops and wear them year round (well sort of) ... and love the idea of living somewhere warm enough to wear them year round ...

Fishgrrl
May 25th, 2005, 01:21 PM
LOL! Gotta work it girl!! Walk sloooowwwwlllyy down the red carpet of life....pretend you're a goddess...stop and pose for the camera....RELAX you're ankles....and GO!

I used to hunch my shoulders because I was taller than most everyone, including the boys. Now I love it!! ;)

SwiminONandON
May 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Kari, have I told you lately how awesome you are ... you never fail to make me laugh!

Seagurl51
May 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Kari you are sooo awesome! I can't wait for Worlds!! I must admit I am a hunchback. I am taller than most the boys I know. I'll have to try relaxing my ankles, I get really stiff when I walk in heals.

Keather, flipflops are good whatever the weather. I wear them in the snow even. I went to the top of the Tetons (tram @ Teton village) in flip-flops. I have hearty toes!

It's not my fault I'm freakishly tall...blame my parents(:D)! My goal as a kid was to break 6 feet...I almost made it.:(

Fishgrrl
May 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Keather/Kyra.....I can't wait to meet you guys!!

Nooooooo...you're awesome! You guys will like Karen too...and we have yet to meet the other Kira.... :cool:

Seagurl51
May 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Just for participating in the highjacking of this thread, I felt compelled to comment on the orginal post. By working out, your going to lose weight and firm up and that is inevitably going to feed into your self image. By seeing yourself as tone and desirable, you're going to be desirable. You'll have more self confidence to show people your hard work. I too was surprised by knowing that women who workout more, has less of a sex drive. I think maybe it's because they use all their extra energy on working out.

Scansy
May 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
haha ... actually I'm growing more and more concerned with the size of my ever expanding shoulders and upper back ... but there's nothing that can be done so I embrace them ... I also must say I don't go through swimsuit trauma like my friends I'm in suits year round so I am fully aware of what I look like in a suit and I don't think there is a swimsuit season ...

Hey, I for one like that V-shaped look on a woman - be proud of it.

(Of course if the V-shape is upside down.....:( )

Karen Duggan
May 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I'll say it again, sometimes I'm just too damn TIRED! Here I'll illustrate a typical day of late:

Go to be around 10:30ish and wake up at least twice with any of three kids for any number of reasons.

Wake up at 6:30 and go to work.

Get home at 3:30ish.

Take son to swimming from 4:30-5:30

Eat dinner.

Swim 6:30-8:30 (includes drive time)

Home and put read books, say prayers, kids to bed.

Again, I'm tired!

69gscal
May 25th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
Just for participating in the highjacking of this thread, I felt compelled to comment on the orginal post.

Wow! So you girls actually notice when you highjack these threads. I can't even count how many threads I've read that the three (four?) of you have taken over.

No worries though, I find all of it very entertaining to say the least.

As far as the original article; More reasons to hook up at swim practice!

69gscal
May 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
I'll say it again, sometimes I'm just too damn TIRED!

I'm 25.
Never too tired! :D

Seagurl51
May 25th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 69gscal
Wow! So you girls actually notice when you highjack these threads. I can't even count how many threads I've read that the three (four?) of you have taken over.

No worries though, I find all of it very entertaining to say the least.

As far as the original article; More reasons to hook up at swim practice!

There's actually five (and some boys too) but we're open to anyone else you wants to get involved. It's like a cult and we're all chanting "JOIN US."

We haven't taken over that many threads, have we? I know the one's we started are pretty much a mess (a very, fun, lively mess), but I hope that we haven't imposed too much on everyone here. Glad that you find us entertaining though!

Scansy
May 25th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Here's how it usually goes...

Someone starts highly informative swimming related thread....

One of our four (or five) entertaining friends starts a discussion about a hopelessly romantic prostitute who is lusting after a moose with a low VO2max who is sleeping his way through the moose population he has stashed on islands all while wearing a clown suit and drinking hot coffee and discussing Barenaked Ladies and other popular bands....

Somehow, Heather ends up with Aaron....

:D

And I agree with 69gscal.... I'm never too tired. In fact, I have told my wife that I will always bypass sleep for it. Even if I am already asleep in the middle of the night..... wake me up!:cool:

69gscal
May 25th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Scansy

Even if I am already asleep in the middle of the night..... wake me up!:cool:

Exactly!
Better to wake me up and include me than for me to wake up on my own half way through it and be hurt I wasn't included.
:p

Fishgrrl
May 26th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Karen - try vitamim E!

69gscal - no kidding!! ;)

Scansy....a man once told me that most guys would have to be on their death bed....or sometimes even after death....

"......life is a polka and don't you forget it!...."

Tom Ellison
May 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Ahhh, Houston...we have a problem! Actually, Heather ends up with Mr. Moose.....:cool:

Karen Duggan
May 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Scansy,
Are you my husband?! He says the same thing!!!!! So, proof, it's true, all men do think alike. ;) Now if I could just get him to cook.

Scansy
May 26th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Scansy,
Are you my husband?! He says the same thing!!!!! So, proof, it's true, all men do think alike. ;) Now if I could just get him to cook.

Tell him you will wake him up at night every time he cooks. He'll start cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner!:p

SwiminONandON
May 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Scansy

:D

[/B]

:D :D :D :D

So glad that everyone thinks this is as good of an idea as I do ... now to put my plan into action (cue evil laugh) ;)

jswim
May 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Scansy,

lol hmmm ditto!.... verrrry interesting.. someone should do a study on this!