PDA

View Full Version : Please clarify me the timing of breaststroke

RayT
May 25th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Please clarify me the timing of breaststroke. Do you shoot your hands and feet at the same time or the kicking starts slightly .after・ your hands are in streamline position. If both action happen at the same time, and your head/hands might still be above the water while you shoot your feet, right? Doesn・t this interfere your momentum?

Thank you for your clarification.

LindsayNB
May 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Go to swim.ee and look at the videos, that will give you a better idea of the timing than any written explanation. Look at several swimmers so you can get an idea of the variation in timing from swimmer to swimmer.

ande
May 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM
your head should be neutral, your hands and arms should be out front in an un locked streamline, when you fire your feet, you want your upper body streamlined so you can ride the glide from your kick, there's a slight pause before you being your next stroke

ande

jswim
May 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM
don't know how much variation there is for this sort of thing, but
my coach told me that you should be starting your kick when you're about to extend your arms.. or in other words..

"when your picking your nose you should be starting your kick."
:)

geochuck
May 26th, 2005, 11:11 AM
First thing to do is go to breaststrokers web site http://www.breaststroke.info/

LindsayNB
May 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by jswim
don't know how much variation there is for this sort of thing, but

The truth is there are several different styles of breastroke with a good deal of variation between them. Trying to discuss breaststroke as if there is only one style can only result in contradictions.

jswim
May 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM
good to know thanks :)

ande
May 27th, 2005, 04:15 AM
I've gotten some one on one breastroke coaching from David Guthrie, who holds several masters national and world records.

there are several variations on stroke technique
but here's what remains true for every elite breastroker

the more streamlined you are when you kick
the further you're going to glide and
the faster you're going to go

it's also about body position
the flatter your body is in the water during the glide,
the further you're going to glide and
the faster you're going to go
because you have less resistance

I agree with george that wayne has excellent breaststroke tips and articles on,
http://www.breaststroke.info/

the arm cycle is
1) streamline
2) out sweep
3) in sweep
4) fire forward
5) streamline

Ande

Originally posted by LindsayNB
The truth is there are several different styles of breastroke with a good deal of variation between them. Trying to discuss breaststroke as if there is only one style can only result in contradictions.