PDA

View Full Version : Lunch Swim Workouts

poolmonkey
May 27th, 2005, 03:03 PM
This is coming out of the Ask Ande thread in relation to two-a-days or doubles and Kari mentioned getting some yards in during lunch, so I wanted to see who else was doing what during lunch. ( I know what you're thinking - Keep it clean people )

Who is doing lunch swim workouts? What kind of yardage are you doing and for about how long (total time)?

I've tried lunch swim workouts a couple of times and my paranoia gets me, because I'm afraid of ticking my boss off for being gone too long, so I just stick to the gym in the building and run or bike. But a lsw probably would be good with a double, then I wouldn't have to try to squeeze in any kind of serious yardage.

Thanks.

jswim
May 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I go on my lunch our 2-3 times per week. I also worry about being gone too long, but make up for it (at least I feel I do) during the days I don't go I work through lunch and don't take excessive breaks so I feel it all evens out in the end.

I did 2000 yds today at lunch. I usually print out a workout either from USMS boards, or swim2000 has some that are pretty good too, and work my way through until I feel it's time to go. Sometimes (I have to admit) If I see a set that looks like no fun, I will just skip it and move to the next set. Other days I just get in the pool and practice technique and feeling the water with no real workout in mind. (If i'm feeling tired).
I usually do between 1500-2200 yds during lunch workouts.

The pool at the Y is about a 5 minute walk from my work, so It really is pretty convenient.

J.

thinkersw1
May 27th, 2005, 06:51 PM
The 12-1 workout is very popular at the pool I swim at. Today, we had thirty people show up. Usually the yardage is around 3000 yds. For the most part, people show up right at 12 and get out right at 1 and there is little talking or lingering because they have to get back to work.

dorothyrde
May 28th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I go in a little early and stay a little late a couple days a week to do a lunch swim. The pool is a 10 minute drive, I swim for 45 minutes, go back to work with wet hair and sans make-up to save time. It still always takes an hour and half because of washing the hair and changing and such. Lunch swims are less crowded than the early morning swim, plus I am awake! I usually can get 2000-2500 in that time, the latter if I do alot of distance or do little rest interviews. The advantages, having a break like swimming in the middle of the day is great. It really reduces stress. Disadvantages is I always want to stay longer!

In the summer I am shifting my work hours to better accomodate my 12 year olds swim practice. I will be going in later and staying later. So I will shift to more morning swims, but I may still do a couple of "lunch" swims to get out into the sun a little!

Scansy
May 28th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Most of my swimming is during "work" hours. Either lunch time or at 8:00. In either case, I am up early and working - usually by 6:00. My boss is flexible with us - as long as we don't abuse it. Why don't I get up and start swimming at 6:00? I don't do as well. So, depending on my day I swim at 8:00 or at lunch. By then I have had coffee and food and water.

When I am at my peak conditioning (which I'm not right now:( ), I will do a 75 minute workout. It will be anywhere from 3000 to 4000+ yards depending on the workout plan. I make up for it by getting to work early. I have talked with my boss about it to make sure he is aware I am not taking 2 hour lunches and ripping the company off.

dorothyrde
May 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Ditto on the early morning swims. I just don't do as well. I will do some early morning this summer, just to use the 50 meter pool.

Leonard Jansen
May 29th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I do about 2000 yards in 1/2 hr at lunch on MWF. It's usually a recovery-type swim for me as the weekends and tues/Thurs are hard days and Weds is a double workout day. The Y is a 1/2 mile walk from work and we are on flex time, so I come and go as I please.

-LBJ

poolmonkey
May 31st, 2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback people. I was getting worried that I wasn't getting enough yardage in, but it sounds like everyone is doing about the same amount of work based on the time constraints. And it's comforting to hear that everyone is dealing with the same issues of having to haul their rear back to work.

Farmgal
June 2nd, 2005, 11:57 PM
Rudy
off topic, but where do you swim at? Have you been to the pool
at Lewis & Clark? I am interested in finding out times when its
open for swimming - taking a class there this summer and hoped to fit my workouts down there.

poolmonkey
June 3rd, 2005, 02:23 AM
Donna:

I haven't swam there yet. I'm thinking I'll sign up in the fall. I just started getting back into swimming and relatively new to the area. I was swimming at the Alton Y and the University of Missouri St. Louis during the spring, but I am not taking any classes there over the summer and the Y isn't the greatest. So I am now hitting Bridgeton, MO. It's right around the corner from where I work, so it works out pretty good.

When I was inquiring about swimming at LCCC, a person from the St. Louis Area Masters group sent me the following:

LCCC has a lap swim time in the afternoons everyday from 4 to 5:30 I think. The cost is about $60. per year to join LCCC for this. I wanted a morning time, so LCCC set up a morning swim time from 6:30 to 7:30 on Tues. and Thurs. It meets for 8 weeks at a time and is designed as a non-credit class. We are currently in our 5th or 6th week. Cost is $30. per 8 weeks (don't have to pay the $60. also). The workout usually consists of a minimum of 2000 yards for the hour. (We have a wide range of ages. 31 - 68). So we try to do something everyone can paticpate in. (I usually just add more sets to what I do) There will not be a summer swim class. The next one will start when school gets back in session in Aug. of this year. We are all going to continue to swim on our own at the location each one chooses. LCCC or the Y. If you join LCCC, you can take your kids swimming during the family swim time Fri and I think Sat. at no extra charge . I am planning on continuing to swim over the summer at the lap swim times at the college.

waterdragon
July 21st, 2005, 02:31 PM
Lunch workouts are hard to get in for me. I only have one hour and when you factor in commute time and change time it weedles down to 40 minutes. I tend to get stressed about even going to swim and sometimes I don't go at all because I am so busy at the office:( I get in anywhere from 2000-2400 each day and my workouts usually go as follows

500 Free warm-up
200 Back warm-up
300 Kick
300 Pull w/paddles
200 Free
100 Back
10x50 Free on 1 min.

And that is where I am getting close to quitting time so sometimes I can squeeze in a 200 warm down.

I really want to swim more as I am extremly out of shape and have a few lbs. to lose but I can't seem to find the time. I do swim the masters twice a week but the work out is only 1 hour and we barely squeeze a 3000 in. I go to two different pools and I always run into the problems of not having any free lanes because of all of the various swim team practices and lessons:(

Anybody else having similar issues? Advice?

battle
July 22nd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Lunch time is 2:20 to 4 for me and that is a great time to swim at our pool. I usually go 3-5000 depending on the season and if a big meet is coming up.

Blue Horn
July 22nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Waterdragon,

I would suggest working out with an age group (high school and college kids) swim team in the am. I usually can't make the afternoon session, but it has allowed me to get into shape with out killing myself. I have lost about 15 lbs and gained a ton of endurance and speed over the past few months. I would highly recomend doing something like that, as it has really motivated me to get back into shape. I love the routine and acountability. There are plenty of mornings that I do not want to get out of bed, but I am always glad that I did and my energy levels have been taken to new heights.

Hook'em
Blue

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
In Galesburg, at town of about 33,000 peopel, I almost always swim alone regardless of what time of day it is. It is about the only perk for livining a town that is almost dead.

VIVA INTERNATIONALISM!