PDA

View Full Version : World Championships/Montreal

scyfreestyler
May 27th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I am starting to think this event is going to be nothing more than another episode of the Michael Phelps show; not that there is anything really wrong with that, I think he is a great person in and out of the pool. What sucks is that Thorpe and now Hoogenband have pulled out of the event. It's kind of like a high school party when your good friends can't make it but all of the boring types manange to show. You still have fun but you know in the back of your mind that you are missing something. Just wanted to vent some frustration.

Peter Cruise
May 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I would, of course, like to see all the top swimmers attend, but I always look at these off-olympic year champs as a chance to see what new wunder-swimmers will emerge & quite frankly, hold my breath (& I'm not even swimming backstroke at this moment, Karen) to see if Montreal pulls off a successful meet (considering all that has happened, including tragedy, leading up to this meet).

tjrpatt
May 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I am looking forward to Hansen give that damn Kitijama and that Hungarian kid a good beat and show them who is the best breaststroker.

Seagurl51
May 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I agree with Peter. While it's unfortuante that some of the top competitors will not be there, it will be a great opportunity for some otherwise unknowns to announce their arrival on the world stage. It will give the underdogs a chance at doing better than they might have with the top athletes taking all the top spots. It should be interesting to watch how well some of the up and comings are going to do.

katefromky
May 31st, 2005, 08:27 AM
I agree TJRPATT, the most anticipated event for me will be the 100 Breast.

SwiminONandON
May 31st, 2005, 10:12 AM
Bummer that Hoogie is out, too. I am sure this too will turn into the Michael Phelps show. But really, he's pretty darn talented so ...

I can't wait for the men's breaststroke events either.

I HOPE that some part of this is televised, even if it's at 2 am.

LindsayNB
May 31st, 2005, 10:44 AM
Is it really a safe assumption that Phelps will win the 400 free? His time at trials would have got him 7th place at the Olympics 4.4s behind Grant Hackett. His 100m free time at trials would have placed him sixth. I expect he'll improve his times I'm not sure it's a safe bet that he'll win either event. I also wouldn't count out Crocker in the 100 Fly. Michael has his work cut out for him.

justforfun
May 31st, 2005, 03:11 PM
I'm with Lindsay...I think it'll be a stretch for Phelps to win the 100 and 400 frees, and he'll have another battle with Crocker in the 100 fly. If he doesn't win gold in these three events, unfortunately his meet will probably be labeled a "failure" even though he may swim lifetime bests in all his events. I think he's got guts for swimming "off" events, particularly the 400.

tjrpatt
May 31st, 2005, 08:23 PM
The press was calling him a failure when he got bronze in the 200 free at the Olympics. To get 3rd in the Olympics in your 6th best event is not at all a failure. Phelps had the most insane schedule at the Olympics and prevailed at the IMs and flys. The media never stated that the 200 free was one of his worst events. At the worlds, I think that he could have a shot at the 100 and 400 free. I am sure that he worked alot of his frees since then. If he gets seconds in these events, it will still be amazing. Go Phelps.

scyfreestyler
May 31st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Phelps said in a recent interview that swimming with the Wolverine's has greatly increased his freestyle yardage and technique. Apparently he had ignored free to a certain extent while at NBAC.

hrietz
June 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM
I'd love to see Phelps take down Hackett in the 400 free. That would just kill the Aussies since they consider that one of "their" events. I think that the big disappointment of the meet will be the US women. Other than Katie Hoff in the IM's and perhaps Coughlin in the 100 back I don't think that there are any "guaranteed" medalists...I also wouldn't be surprised if either Kirsty Coventry or one of the Germans beats Coughlin in the 100 back...I also don't think that the US women will win any of the relays...

hooked-on-swimming
June 1st, 2005, 03:44 AM
I just do not see Phelps winning 400 free, does anyone even think it is possible?And I would have to say : "aussies" are right about claiming that event to be theirs, because it really is!

justforfun
June 1st, 2005, 10:03 AM
I think the 400 will go like this...Hackett takes an early lead; Phelps maintains contact through the first 200; Phelps pulls even at the 300 mark, but Hackett guts it out the last 100 and gets a close win. Hackett is such a tough competitor. I was impressed by his win in the 1500 this summer when he wasn't 100% and he was being pushed by 2 young, hungry tigers who had him on the ropes.

SwiminONandON
June 1st, 2005, 10:19 AM
I do not doubt that Phelps has the potential to win the 100 and the 400. He won the 100 at trials over some pretty stiff competition. And while he raced the 200 free at the Olympics b/c he wanted to go up against the best in the world I don't think he or Bowman would add those events to his repitore (sp?) if they didn't think he could win them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hackett won the 400 either.

In terms of the women, Heather (great name!) I agree with you. Though Natalie is darn competitive and I think she's been working really hard since trials to get back to her Olympic form. But overall I think the women will be a disappointment sans Katie Hoff who I think will hand the world it's butt on a platter. She is amazing and I think she'll be even faster at Worlds ... a new 200IM WR perhaps?

Tom Ellison
June 1st, 2005, 11:15 AM
Dana Vollmer will be tough in the 200 free for she is just now getting back to top grade shape.

SwiminONandON
June 1st, 2005, 11:21 AM
She didn't make the team.

Tom Ellison
June 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM
That is shame for she has been focusing on school work and apearences and all of that for the home town girl that won gold and smashed a 17 year record with her fellow relay members...and getting back in the grind of swimming....
I know this young lady and she will be a factor in the future....trust me!

hrietz
June 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
Vollmer is on the World University Games team which for her may be a blessing in disguise since she will get to swim more events (100-200 free, 50-100 fly, relays) as opposed to just a relay berth...

SwiminONandON
June 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
True ... I was thinking about the teams last night and wondering if the American women really will be a disappointment. I THINK many of the Aussies took some time off or aren't even swimming. The Brits took time off.

I think Natalie is too competitive to not be working her butt off until Worlds. I think Hoff will continue to be phenomenal. I think Descenza's in a groove. At this point I think the Americans might be in the same boat as much of the rest of the world, though that in and of itself might be a disappointment.

Tom Ellison
June 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Wonderful....Go Dana!