PDA

View Full Version : mixed relay

fanstone
May 30th, 2005, 12:07 PM
My club will be participating in a two hour relay done in a short (25 meter) pool. There will be about ten of us, girls, boys, masters, whatever. Here is the question: is there any science as to how long each participant swims? So far, what I know about the rules of this particular meet is that you have to swim in the order you entered and that's about all. After two hours they will add the amount of meters or kilometers swum and will thus classify the different teams. If you think speed, then obviously 50 meters per participant would be logical, but each time you have to get out of the pool will also cost you energy and the rest time is less and so forth. Thanks, billy fanstone.

Matthias
May 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM
our team is going to compete in a similar event. we plan to have each swimmer swim a hundred.
the event we are entering is called a 100 x 100 relay so we had no choice about how long a swimmer will go but it as it will take about the same time (we expect to finish in 2.5h).

brgds

matthias

Michael Heather
May 30th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Seems to me that the most efficient way would be to have everyone swim only once for about 1/10th of the alotted time. I suppose you could adjust the times for people who are more distance oriented.

Swimming 50 Meters at a time, even with ten people, will be very draining over 2 hours. At 40 seconds per 50, that would be only about 6 minutes rest. which sounds like a lot, but for 2 hours it adds up, getting out of the pool, getting dry or cold, keeping track of the relay starts, whatever. If you want to set a distance, maybe try 200 meters, which would give a lot of rest between swims.

Or, you could get very organized and figure out each relay member's optimal distance and put the strongest swimmers first, since they will have the best chance for swimming multiple times.

Sounds like a lot of fun!