PDA

View Full Version : I understand now

laineybug
May 30th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Even though I grew up on the beach and swam in the ocean A LOT, I never really enjoyed 'swimming' in the open water... it was for surfing and playing in the waves. I much preferred the cool clear water and black lines of the pool. So, I never understood the attraction to open water swims some people have.

This weekend I went to a really pretty LITTLE beach not too far from here with my grandchildren. My granddaughter was the one who just up and started the "open water swimming" (parallel to the beach) and to make sure she was safe my daughter and I had to swim along with her! We swam up to one end of the beach and back down to the other and then back to our starting point (DGD took several breaks, and lol, my daughter and I didn't object)

It was one fantastic experience, not just the swim, but to be able to swim with my daughter, and granddaughter, who just amazes me every time I see her swim... I can see improvement in her technique every time... and this time, to realize that at 6 she is strong enough to swim in open water (with close supervision of course).

Anyway, I understand now, it was wonderful!

Lainey

Rebecca
May 30th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Today was my first lake swim of the season--Lake Washington, water temp 62 degrees, air temp 60 degrees. Five teammates swam together, and there's just nothing (well only a few things) so exhilerating as jumping into that cold water, and taking off swimming. It's literally breathtaking! The early morning smell of the water, the long stretches, no flip turns, no timing, just soaking up the moment and feeling really, really, alive! And then getting out and drinking mugs of hot coffee to get warm (this is Seattle, after all).

It's so great that you can swim with your daughter, and that your 6 year old granddaughter is the inspiration! Enjoy--it's so easy to get hooked.

2go+h20
May 31st, 2005, 05:06 PM
I have to agree, swimming out in the open, early morning mist rising on a still reflective lake, birds soaring and singing. Just a couple of swimmers and a kayak support boat enjoying this truly exhilerating, and liberating session.
We have been out in a smaller lake for a month (and that is above the 49th parallel), most wearing a wetsuit. The water is just fine for those who chose to not wear a wetsuit. I swam 4.5kms last weekend no wetsuit and wasn't chilled at all.
The larger lakes are just beginning to warm up, so in a couple of weeks, we'll be moving onwards and upwards in preparation of our open water season.
Glad to find others like Rebecca and Laineybug finding the thrills and liberation from black line swimming!!
Welcome to the outdoors!
Kiwi