PDA

View Full Version : Water in googles

nkace
May 31st, 2005, 11:33 AM
Does anybody else run into having stop inbetween sets because water gets inside googles & (then I run into my contact falling out). I don't know how to avoid this, besides tightening & suctioning googles around eyes. I have small close together eyes & a small bridge (nose). Thank you... ideas please.

Blue Horn
May 31st, 2005, 11:57 AM
I have had a similar problem with goggles because my eyes are also close together, per goggle standards. Swedish goggles are completly adjustable and fit perfectly in the eye socket. The key is to NOT over tighten them.

At first, I thought that they would be very uncomforatble, but after having read several threads espousing the greatness of Swedish goggles, I tried them. At $4 I firgured why not try them.

FYI - If you get some baby shampoo, and mix it with a little water you have some great anti-fog that will last an entire workout. I squirt a little in my goggles before every workout, which has worked very well for me.

Hook'em
Blue

jswim
May 31st, 2005, 12:20 PM
I currently use the women's speedo vanquisher and finally don't have to tighten them too much to keep them from leaking. I've noticed the goggles specifically designed for a smaller face will work better for me.

I did order some swedish goggles and tried them once but couldn't figure out how to get them to fit correctly. They didn't come with a nose piece so I tried to cut some of the excess off the straps and use that but didn't want to mess with it too much so I just switched...

How long did it take you to learn how to use the swedish goggles? do they leave marks on your eyes? do you have to press very hard to get them to stay and not leak? I'm curious cause I"m about due for some new goggles and I'd like to just use the swedish ones in my pack instead of buying a new pair..

thanks!
J.

Blue Horn
May 31st, 2005, 12:41 PM
It actually didn't take me very long to use them. I like using the string and plastic tube for the nose piece. Using a piece of the rubber head strap hurts my nose and they leak every once in a while.

I simply looped the string through one of the holes in one of the goggle eye pieces and then through the blue tube and then through the other eye piece. fortunately for me, the blue tube is generally the perfect width or a just slightly bigger than what I need. I tie an initial knot to make sure they fit properly, If they don't I either tighten or losen the nose piece. Once I have the correct width, which usually only takes one time, I tie the second knot, cut the ends and slide the knot into the plastic tube.

Also, before I do anything, I put the eye pieces into my eyes and then position to blue tube to determine if I need tomake any cuts. For me the eye pieces fit right into my eyes with out any straps. The first time, I thought that they were going to be too far apart, but they were just right.

One final thought: when I first tried them on, I used the rubber strap as a nose piece this allowed me to find the proper positioning more easily. After that, I was able to position them with the blue tube, which is much more comfortable for me. The strap pull the eye pieces into my nose too much, and causes them to be uncomfortable.

Hook'em
Blue

nkace
May 31st, 2005, 12:52 PM
So where did you find these marvels?

Alex
May 31st, 2005, 01:00 PM
I agree with Blue Horn, the Swedish goggles are the best option to avoid water entry or goggle movement at starts from the bank. Although for some people they seems to be unconfortable, this is only in the begining, ones you get used to them you will never change them.

The blue tube is essencial for confort.

Alex:cool:

Alex
May 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by nkace
So where did you find these marvels?

I do not know about the States, but in Mexico they are commonly available only on Swimming specialiced stores.

:confused:

poolmonkey
May 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
Try http://www.kiefer.com

They not only have swedish goggles, but also replacement straps, which I've had a hard time coming by.

As for fit, they should fit right into your eye socket by softly pressing on them. Don't press too hard or you'll hurt your eye. I like to cut part of the strap off and use that for the nose bridge, but it takes some tinkering to get the top, bottom and nose just right. But I absolutely love them. Hardly ever do I have a problem with any water getting in my eyes. They do fog up, but it's not that bad that I can't deal with it, so I never messed with any kind of anti-fog. They leave little marks around your eyes, but if it hurts, your straps are probably too tight. Since they fit right into your eye socket, they don't have to be very tight to keep them in place and keep the water out. If for some reason, they don't fit nicely into your eye socket, they may not be the goggle for you. You may need something with some suction.

Good luck.

nkace
May 31st, 2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info, they have a pretty big selection, do you have any specific ones in mind?

jswim
May 31st, 2005, 02:19 PM
right, thanks for the info!. I think i'll give them a try again. :)
good luck nkace!.

poolmonkey
May 31st, 2005, 02:39 PM
I like the original

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=690009&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetit ive%20Swim&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D3%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree %3D0%2CGoggles&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D19%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tre e%3D1%2CKiefer%20Goggles&HSLB=False&mscssid=008B124EAB36A4B9F8C8DE6E74161999

If that link doesn't come out right, I like the Kiefer Swedish Goggle. But I don't use the foam that comes with them. I like the plastic right in my eye socket. The smoke ones seem to be better outside. The sun can be blinding doing backstroke. If you like them, you can spring the 7.95 for the Metalized ones.

Word of caution, you may want to order an extra strap or 2. At 75 cents a piece, it's well worth it.

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=690090&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetit ive%20Swim&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D3%26Tree%3D0%2CGoggles&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D195%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tr ee%3D1%2CGoggle%20Straps&HSLB=False&mscssid=008B124EAB36A4B9F8C8DE6E74161999

The only time I had problems with my contacts was years ago when I had hard contacts. With soft lenses, I haven't had any problems.

susanehr
May 31st, 2005, 03:29 PM
I like the View goggles. I too am plagued by close eyes and a small head. These goggles have a pretty good adjustable nose piece. The eyepiece has a rubber-like gasket that seems to seal well around/in my eye socket.

Also, when trying on goggles adjust the nose piece first, then gently press them to your eyes. If they stick to your face, they are probably going to be a good fit once you adjust the strap. If they fall off, try another type.

kristilynn
May 31st, 2005, 03:46 PM
nkace

I also have close together eyes and a narrow face. I've been using Speedo Sprint goggles forever, and I have no problems with leaking. I've also never lost them off of a start (knock on wood!)

I've never had any luck with Swedish goggles, but I've certainly tried. When I was an age group swimmer, it was very un-cool to wear anything except Swedish goggles. I did my best to fit in, but eventually ended up back with my Speedo Sprints.

I know that several of the girls that I swam with in college who used Swedish goggles and had for most of their swimming careers actually formed a sort of callus/bump on their upper lid. That always seemed a bit strange to me and gave me another reason to stick with my Speedos.

poolmonkey
May 31st, 2005, 04:02 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but when you say 'upper lid', are you referring to the top part of their eye socket or their eye lid?

I've used these goggles for a long time and never had any problems or noticed any with anyone that used these type of goggles. Then again, I wasn't looking either. How many people did you notice this with? Just curious.

I know some people that these didn't work well for, because they didn't fit well into their eye socket, but this bump/callus is news to me.

thisgirl13
May 31st, 2005, 04:09 PM
I grew up using Speedo Women's Vanquisher goggles, but when I got into high school, my coach bought us all Swedish goggles for Christmas, and I was hooked.

Currently, I have two pairs of the TYR version, called Socket Rockets - one is rose colored (it's a girly thing, I suppose), the other is the mirrored socket rocket. They have a little bit softer gasketing, for those of you who might find the original swedes a little too intense.

Either works really well, and sometimes people actually prefer the rubber tubing nose piece that comes with it.

The hardest part I have with the goggles is tying the string for the nose piece. THe first couple times is always the hardest, but once you figure out where your perfect fit it, you'll be able to use the blue tube to remember how tight to tie the string. My fingers are kind of large for a girl, so I usually use a pencil point or something like that to move the knot inside of the tube, after I cut the strings.

Plus, I like how inexpensive yet durable the TYR and Swedes both are.

Kira
May 31st, 2005, 04:13 PM
make sure that you have the strap high on the back of your head rather than straight across. The lower the strap, the more it opens up at the bottom & leaks. Good luck!:cool:

nkace
June 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Alrighty, so I used to use speedo goggles, don't think they are racing goggles but they nose part is a hard plastic type.
So where do you find these "view" goggles? The ones I am using now are Barracuda & are an improvement at least.

kristilynn
June 1st, 2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by poolmonkey
Pardon my ignorance, but when you say 'upper lid', are you referring to the top part of their eye socket or their eye lid?

I've used these goggles for a long time and never had any problems or noticed any with anyone that used these type of goggles. Then again, I wasn't looking either. How many people did you notice this with? Just curious.

I know some people that these didn't work well for, because they didn't fit well into their eye socket, but this bump/callus is news to me.

Pool monkey,

My memory gets a bit hazy the older I get, but I can specifically remember three girls that had this bump "thingy" for lack of a better description. It was always on the upper-most part of the upper lid, right against the bone (socket). I wish I could find a photo for you because it's difficult to describe.

nkace,

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

K

susanehr
June 2nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Go to Kiefer to get the View goggles. I prefer the Sniper Amber ones.
http://www.kiefer.com

kaffrinn
June 2nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by kristilynn
nkace

I also have close together eyes and a narrow face. I've been using Speedo Sprint goggles forever, and I have no problems with leaking. I've also never lost them off of a start (knock on wood!)

I've never had any luck with Swedish goggles, but I've certainly tried. When I was an age group swimmer, it was very un-cool to wear anything except Swedish goggles. I did my best to fit in, but eventually ended up back with my Speedo Sprints.

I know that several of the girls that I swam with in college who used Swedish goggles and had for most of their swimming careers actually formed a sort of callus/bump on their upper lid. That always seemed a bit strange to me and gave me another reason to stick with my Speedos.

I agree with all of this! I love Speedo Sprint, and have never had a problem with them leaking or falling off. I'm a big fan of the foam...gotta have that foam. I relate to Dara Torres using her "80's goggles" in the 2000 Olympics...once you've found the right pair, you don't want to mess around! Although I will say that they could do a better job warding off fog.

I have never had any luck with Swedish, although I also tried in high school. It was cool back then to mix and match pairs to match your school colors. Our colors were red and green...that combination made for a real headache!

kristilynn
June 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kaffrinn

I have never had any luck with Swedish, although I also tried in high school. It was cool back then to mix and match pairs to match your school colors. Our colors were red and green...that combination made for a real headache!

Your school colors were red and green huh? Bet you guys loved Christmas time!:)

kaffrinn
June 3rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by kristilynn
Your school colors were red and green huh? Bet you guys loved Christmas time!:)

Yeah...since I grew up in the town, I never thought about the colors being weird until I was older! Then, I went to a college where the colors were orange and black. Christmas to Halloween! :P

TomBrooklyn
October 8th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I have Aqua Sphere goggles and they leak constantly. I think they're the Kaiman model http://www.aquasphereswim.com/products/kaiman_clear_dblue.html .

I have (had?) a couple of pairs of Speedos that seem to be missing at the moment so I can't check which models, but they both leaked constantly also. I had given up on finding googles that didn't leak--is there any hope such a thing exists?

swimminlyn
October 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I have the TYR socket rockets and the women's vanquishers. Love them both. I have always used the sweedish until the socket rockets came out since they are a little softer on the eyes. Had a life time best swim with a pair of vanquishers. So b/c of superstition I had to go buy a pair.

ensignada
October 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I swear by TYR Femme-Ellipse.

I tried Vanquishers for awhile and had an awful time with them.

BabsVa
October 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
OK this is a constant issue with me and this is what I've found: any kind of face cream or sunscreen seem to interfere with the goggle's seal. I also suspect these lotions and all might degrade the material around the eye socket. So wash your goggles.

Myself, I have a little face. Kid's goggles actually fit me better than adult sizes. Kid's Speedo Vanquishers are best.

Also, it takes several minutes for the goggles to work properly. Perhaps our skin absorbs water, and then they seal a little better?

Anyway, yes those of us with contact lenses, ugh, what a pain to get water in the goggles.

Yes, you can see I've spent a lot of time thinking about this issue.

TomBrooklyn
October 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I cleaned my googles real good yesterday and when I went swimming they didn't leak. I don't know why cleaning them made such a difference. It made me think of how my car seems to run better after I wax it.

They also didn't fog up. Very cool. I cleaned them with vinegar and water (just a touch of vinegar in water does it), and then with Apple IKlear--which is the stuff made for cleaning plastic LCD computer monitor screens.

I could see better out of them than I can ever remember. There were some water drops that stuck to them. I'm going to try putting Rain-X on the outsides now and see if that will make the water just roll off for a really clear view.

I also decided to get a case for them so the lenses don't get scratched up any more. Now that I can see out of them really well, I'd like to keep them that way. I'm psyched.

knelson
October 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
What the heck are googles, by the way? :rofl:

The standard advice is to press the goggles against your eye sockets without using the strap. They should stay in place. If not, the goggles will probably leak for you and you should try a different model, adjust the nosepiece, etc. No one goggle type works for everyone.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I'm going to try putting Rain-X on the outsides now and see if that will make the water just roll off for a really clear view.

Wow, i've never heard of anyone doing that before. Sounds a little excessive! But considering how rain-x helps guide water off the surface to which it is applied, this might give rise to a competitive advantage. I may have to try. If it works, I may also apply rain-x to my sweater and see if that will help avoid purchasing a full-body suit. :joker: