PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for the big meet.

geochuck
June 2nd, 2005, 02:54 PM
In the 1956 Olympics we prepared to race, lots of training. Doctors, training experts, the works. Packed all our warm clothing and left it in Canada after all it was Australia the weather is hot. Little did we know that in Melbourn the weather was different than what we thought. The Japanese swimmers had Parkas. We were not prepared.

How do you get ready for the big event...

I have my rituals. Do you have any?

Nette
June 2nd, 2005, 09:00 PM
My team and I do have several rituals that we do before meets and before our events. Some of them are really rather funny but hey they work for us. We do everything from going to the bathroom to praying as a team beofre the meet and before our realy events. I even have a thing about eating the same thing the day of every meet and I have to wear a certian pair of pants to the meet. I do the Backstorke and before I take off the block I tune everything out around me and just forget that thier are 5 other people in the pool and tons of people watching me.
I think all teams and swimmers have little rituals.;)

thisgirl13
June 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM
Our team goes out for a meal, either breakfast the morning of, if there's time, or dinner the night before.

Let's talk about a certain frequenter of these boards (ahem, ahem, Jim Thornton, cough) who, on a recent trip to Clarion for regionals, ate more than his fair share of a cow. This was literally the biggest portion of prime rib that I have ever seen in my life, and I was further informed that this was nothing compared to the portion he ate on a trip to Baltimore.

He swam some excellent times the following morning, so I don't think he was harmed in the ingestion.
;)

Kae1
June 13th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Well, y'all have inspired me. Figure'd I'd wait until this week to tell anyone here, though. I've signed up to compete at my first swim meet in 15 years. The meet is this Sunday, and I've signed up for the 50m free, 50m breastroke, and 100m breastroke. I may humiliate myself, but it will at least be over quickly. It's an LCM meet, and I've never swam in an LC pool before, so the adventure continues.

My ritual is going to consist of trying not to throw up before my events.....

Kae

Seagurl51
June 13th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Kae that is soooo exciting!!!! Just remember to stay calm (easier said than done I know). Music really helps to release some energy, at least I've found. I jump up and down and wiggle my arms (my friends think it's gross ;))before my races. That helps to release some nerves. I like to stare down the pool. Force it into submission! :D Let us know how it goes!! GOOD LUCK!!! You'll do awesome!!!!

Blue Horn
June 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Geochuck

I heard you like to prepare for long distance swims by getting your competitors to think about sharks while swimming of the coast of Rhode Island.

My Coach is Billy Barton, and I mentioned your name this morning after he was telling us about some of you alls nutty long distance swims in cold water. Pretty funny stuff. Something about LaBatts (sp?) swim in one of the great lakes (41 degrees F) and the only swimmer that actually finished was a 300 lb girl from Denmark. I can't believe how much money you guys made back then swimming ling distance swims. Heck, I can't believe that you all didn't die from hypothermia.

Hook'em
Blue

geochuck
June 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Blue Horn
I finished and won the mens division, and she was actually Dutch.Tell Billy if he wants to see the shark that we passed over at Rhode Island it is on my home web page www.swimdownhill.com the story Was I Shark Bait???

Blue Horn
June 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
That's nutts. I can't believe you guys swam in that freezing water for that long of a time.

Hook'em
Blue

geochuck
June 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
What I said before some of the races was pretty strange. Watch for the balugas in the Sagunaey race, they were there. There is also a story about Billy in the 30 hr race in Montreal. Was he ever cold there but he gave me a chance to eat PIZZA FUEL did I ever swim well after the Pizza. Always mentioned the Lampere Eels in Lake Ontario, they were in there and latched on to me several times, I would toss them into the boat with my trainer. Patches of Jelly Fish in the Cumberland Straits, they were there and did they ever sting...

geochuck
June 14th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Blue Horn
That's nutts. I can't believe you guys swam in that freezing water for that long of a time.

Hook'em
Blue It was only ten miles but very cold and stormy that day. Tom Bucy used Graphite grease and it became very hard and stiff. He was pulled out like a log. They used naptha gas to remove it.

Blue Horn
June 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM
That is pretty good stuff. I would love to sit down and listen to you and Billy talk.

Hook'em
Blue

Canadian Triathlete
June 15th, 2005, 03:19 AM
That shark story is crazy geo :)