PDA

View Full Version : If you could ...

SwiminONandON
June 2nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
If you could only win one (or qualifying in ONE) event at the Olympic Trials what would you chose?

Personally, I'd go for the 100free. Sheer strategy here. I'd get the 100 free individually and the 4x100 free relay as well as the medley relay.

Now, if we are talking non-relay events it'd be a toss up between the 200IM, the 50 free, and the 100 fly.

If I could WIN an Olympic medal in only one event I'd probably go first for any of the relays, but in terms of individual events ... the 200IM I guess...

aquageek
June 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
It would definitely be the 200 free for me - just edging out gull80 by the hair on my bear suit.

kaffrinn
June 2nd, 2005, 05:35 PM
The 400 IM. Not because that's my best event, but because that event commands ultimate respect!! I'd be the Queen of Swimming!

tjrpatt
June 2nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
it is a toss up between the 400IM and the 200 fly.

Fishgrrl
June 2nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
800 free! or 400 free..... ;)

thisgirl13
June 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
Oooh, nice thread, Heather!

Backstroke. Period. Probably the 200, because that's my newest fascination with my favorite stroke (we didn't have that event at my high school meets). But realistically (cuz that's really what this thread is about :p ) I'd go with the 100.

Too bad there's not a category for "mixed pairs" swimming. Cuz then I'd choose Aaron Peirsol (backstrokers make a h*ll of a team, whee!). And his being totally huggable has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Steph

Alex
June 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
I would beat Ian at the 200 free..:eek:

Peter Cruise
June 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
I would qualify in the 200 free & so would Tom, so we would have 4 for a 800 free relay...

swimmieAvsFan
June 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Personally, I'd go for the 100free. Sheer strategy here. I'd get the 100 free individually and the 4x100 free relay as well as the medley relay.

i've got to agree with heather. if i could only qualify in 1 event, it would be the 100 free, for heather's reasoning and the sheer fact that it's my second best event.

now about winning an Olympic medal in 1 event, it would most definitely be the 200 back. it's by far my favorite (and best) event... and like stephanie said, we didn't have it in high school, which sucks!

Seagurl51
June 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
I'd have to go with the 100 breast for both qualifying and winning. Absolutely no stragety behind it, it's just fun! :)

Seagurl51
June 2nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
I'm curious now, what if you qualified for something not in swimming. Say like the winter Olympics, what would you want to qualify for?

Nette
June 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
The back it is my favorite and my best event
:D

pmbchill
June 2nd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
I'm curious now, what if you qualified for something not in swimming. Say like the winter Olympics, what would you want to qualify for?
Bobsled or luge....fast, dangerous but looks like fun!

ALM
June 2nd, 2005, 11:29 PM
I've ridden a luge. I was in Calgary the summer after the 1988 Olympics. We went to the Olympic Park, where they held the bobsled/luge, ski jump, and freestyle skiing events.

When they planned the park, they were worried about the possibility of there being a warm spell during the Games. Just in case, they built a refrigeration system into the bobsled/luge track. It turned out to be a smart move, because I believe they did have a few warm days during the competition.

Anyway, during the summer of 1988, they left the refrigeration system on on the bottom portion of the track and let tourists ride the luge (for a fee, of course). The track consisted of 14 turns from top to bottom; the tourists were allowed to ride the last 4 turns. They said that we would reach a speed of 25 miles/hour. It was a BLAST and over much too quickly. I would love to do it again!

knelson
June 2nd, 2005, 11:35 PM

Downhill (alpine skiing).

poolmonkey
June 3rd, 2005, 01:43 AM
Original Topic: 100 fly

Off Topic: Ice Hockey. To play against the best in the world would be incredible. The luge is nuts. I'd kill myself for sure.

swimmieAvsFan
June 3rd, 2005, 07:00 AM
giant slalom (also alpine skiing) not that i'm that good of a skier, but i would get to hang out with bode miller... he's an incredible american skiier, who is also quite nice to look at! :D

Leonard Jansen
June 3rd, 2005, 07:59 AM
50 km racewalk, hands down.
In swimming, the 1500.

-LBJ

waves101
June 3rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
100 free!

Speed Skating.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 3rd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Well, since this is pure fantasy (my chances of qualifying in the OTs in any event, swimming or track and field, being about the same as my being named to the Supreme Court), I might as well have a little fun:

Swimming: if I could qualify for and then win gold in an event, it would be the 100 or 200 freestyle--short enough for me not to feel I'd have to swim forever, long enough for it not to be over so quickly I couldn't savor it a little at least. (Okay, I know savoring isn't really an option when you're in a race, but a done-and-out-of-the-water event like the 50 doesn't give you a lot of time to experience yourself racing in the Olympics.)

Okay, non-swimming...but still summer Oly's: 5k run. This again--gives me time to experience being in an Olympic race, but allows for the possibility that it might be torridly hot as in Athens. (The marathon in Athens was a pretty brutal event for the women...seemed to have cooled a little for the men...hah! so unfair!) ;)

And since I'm fantasizing, why not dream BIG and fantasize winning both a swimming and a running event! ;) The imagination is a wonderful gift!

EyeoreSAM
June 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM
200 back for sure!!

Other sport--Tennis. Thats what I would have done if I hadn't done swimming. Its so much fun especially when you have a bad day--you can really hit the ball!!!

Tom Ellison
June 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
1500 Free…No question!

Winter: Men's Downhill....Tuck the Mountain....and let it rip!

Peter....that was a great idea....

Seagurl51
June 3rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Jayhawk
I've ridden a luge. I was in Calgary the summer after the 1988 Olympics. We went to the Olympic Park, where they held the bobsled/luge, ski jump, and freestyle skiing events.

When they planned the park, they were worried about the possibility of there being a warm spell during the Games. Just in case, they built a refrigeration system into the bobsled/luge track. It turned out to be a smart move, because I believe they did have a few warm days during the competition.

Anyway, during the summer of 1988, they left the refrigeration system on on the bottom portion of the track and let tourists ride the luge (for a fee, of course). The track consisted of 14 turns from top to bottom; the tourists were allowed to ride the last 4 turns. They said that we would reach a speed of 25 miles/hour. It was a BLAST and over much too quickly. I would love to do it again!

I'm jealous! That sounds like soo much fun!

I would want to qualify in Skeleton (luging but you go head first). That always looked fun!:D

SwiminONandON
June 3rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
As for the winter Olympics I'd pick aerial skiing. I saw the practice facility in Salt Lake City and begged my mom to let me try (I think I was 13) and she said no way. It was off a ramp into a pool. IT was way cool. I love twisting and flipping. The luge or bobsled would be cool too.

jswim
June 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by kaffrinn
The 400 IM. Not because that's my best event, but because that event commands ultimate respect!! I'd be the Queen of Swimming!

not that I'm even able to finish a 400 IM right now, but I totally agree, what an event! whew! I'd like to get to the point where I can just finish one without looking like a drowning victim!

Leonard Jansen
June 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
I'm jealous! That sounds like soo much fun!

I would want to qualify in Skeleton (luging but you go head first). That always looked fun!:D

Actually... you probably could try this if you dare. Sports like bobsled, luge and skeleton often have introductory programs where they take you to Lake Placid's facilities and have you ride a shortened version of an actual course. They do this because they feel it is a good way to try and attract people to an admittedly minor sport. I know that luge also has a traveling program where they go to various cities and set up a "try it for yourself" program. Most of the people in sports like this are VERY friendly since they rarely get any attention and anyone with even the slightest interest in what they are doing is a Godsend. Since you are a woman, well, let's just say you'll never lack for attention since when's the last time you heard of a "luge groupie."

When I was on the US Olympic Committee, the group that was the most grateful to work with was... bowling (a Pan Am sport; not Olympics). Despite stereotypes (fat slobs, etc), they took what they did very seriously and if you took them seriously, they were painfully grateful. Not to mention that many of them had beer company sponsors who would give them handfuls of coupons for a case of beer each coupon, t-shirt, and all kinds of other goodies.

Luge:
http://www.usaluge.org

Bobsled & Skeleton:
http://www.usbsf.com

-LBJ

hrietz
June 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
I would also pick the 100 free because it is my best and favorite event.

In other sports I would pick figure skating because outside of swimming and running I am a complete klutz so I've always admired the sports that combine athleticism and grace...

Seagurl51
June 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Leonard thanks for those sites! I will definately have to check that out the next time I go to Utah.

Alex
June 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
10 meter diving, it is a competition that last several days, although your qualifications depends too much on the appretiation of judges.

The other one I like is gymnastics, with those arms I would surelly be able to improve my speed on 100 meters free.:p

Alex.

some_girl
June 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM
I'm another for the 400 IM: it has everything. It would feel great to be a master of so many discrete skills and the master of putting them together seamlessly. Plus, as I have learned, distances seem much shorter when you swim all the strokes.

jswim
June 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by some_girl
I'm another for the 400 IM: it has everything. It would feel great to be a master of so many discrete skills and the master of putting them together seamlessly. Plus, as I have learned, distances seem much shorter when you swim all the strokes.

yes absolutely!... I wondered if I was the only one who felt like that. everyone else seems to hate doing IM's (except for one other girl and myself at practice). It breaks up the monotony for me, I enjoy switching the pace and the different turns at every corner!.

;)

SwiminONandON
June 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
I LOVE IM workouts ...

some_girl
June 3rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I think one of my favorite sets ever was: 100 IM, 100 fl, 50 fr; 100 IM, 100 bk, 50 fr; 100 IM, 100 br, 50 fr; 100 IM, 100 fr, 50 fr, no time, but keep a good pace.

I love the way each stroke challenges me in totally different ways, though at this point breast wears me out more than fly.

I'm thinking of trying the 100 IM at my first meet (sometime in the fall, I think), even though it takes me like 1:40 and my fly is ugly as all get out, just because IM is so hypnotizing.

kaffrinn
June 3rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
IM workouts are the way to go. When I work out alone, I love to do long, slow sets of IM. My absolute least favorite stroke is freestyle, and I get so bored doing long sets of it. In fact, I sometimes omit it from my IM sets and just do 75's of fly, back, breast.

I'm going to join a team this fall, because I need the discipline. However, the only thing I'm really dreading (besides the possibility of early workouts) is that I'm sure I will be back to mostly-freestyle workouts. Torture!