PDA

View Full Version : pool water

biggiesmalls00
June 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM
is there a certain water temperature that is optimal for swimming workouts? would a higher temperature benifit or not? thanks.

aquageek
June 4th, 2005, 11:49 AM
This topic gets a lot of play on this forum. I don't think I've ever seen anyone agree that hot pool water is of any value, well, except the noodlers. For the most part I find 76-80 to be about my comfort range.

dorothyrde
June 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM
76. brrrrrrrrrrr.

I have spent the last hour in our little pool trying to patch some leaks. It is about 70, and oh my that wakes you up.

jean sterling
June 4th, 2005, 03:23 PM
If you are standing still (like the noodlers do in my pool), then 76 is chilly. However, if you want to do an interval workout 76 can feel real good once you get going.

69gscal
June 4th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I agree that mid 70's to low 80's is the best temp. Atleast for me.

I swam in a pool that was high 80's for a few months and it was terrible. I seemed to have no energy. Midways through the workout I'd always feel as if I'd rather be sleeping.

It was an indoor pool also and the ventilation system was terrible. The moment you walked into the facility you felt like you were breathing inside of a sauna. I'm certain that had a lot to do with it.

I like the water to feel a bit chilly when I first enter it. After a few hundred yards I'm used to it and it actually feels very refreshing.

Aubrey

Sabretooth Tiger
June 4th, 2005, 06:07 PM
My personal preference is 77 to 79.

Warm water is good for relaxation and cool adult beverages . . . not for training.

imho

carl

h2osmiley
June 4th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I too prefer 76 to 79 degrees, unfortunately the indoor pool that we practice at for most of the year is a nice comfy 86 degrees (for the noodlers, at least). I like to think that training in warm water somehow helps me out when I go to a meet and race in cooler water....who knows if it really does, it's at least my justification for why I continue to subject myself to training in the sauna-like conditions regularly.

With the arrival of summer time, we start outdoors LC practices soon....completely looking forward to it!! :cool:

swimmieAvsFan
June 4th, 2005, 08:07 PM
i feel the cooler the water, the better (within reason of course!) so upper 70's is probably optimal in my world. fortunately, swimming at a university, the pools are kept cooler for the varsity teams, so we benefit from that immensely. although, during their season, you can always tell when meets are coming, because the water is definitely on the cooler side of comfortable. this also helps get rid of some of the noodlers- there's one pool on campus that the varsity teams don't use that's kept at sauna-like temps. so the noodlers tend to hang out there instead of taking up room in the good pools! :cool:

thisgirl13
June 4th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
I have spent the last hour in our little pool trying to patch some leaks. It is about 70, and oh my that wakes you up.

I went home to Ohio this weekend to see my sister and brother-in-law, and the weather was so hot today (88 degrees actual, 95 degrees on the deck) we opened the in-deck pool they have.

Let me tell you how cold that water was. Nice and take-your-breath-away 50 degrees. Especially when you've been laying out on the deck tanning, and decide to cannonball into the water.

:D

Maryyyyyy
June 5th, 2005, 03:17 AM
You're not going to believe... I just did some conversions and...

The pools where I swim (in Italy) are closer to 90 degrees than they are to 80! For those of you who know celcius, that's 30c or above!

I know this because I complain about it all the time. I carry a water thermometer in my swim bag and check constantly.

The other day a pool had cooled down to 26c, and it felt SO good!
Too bad everyone else was complaining!

:(

Mary

Maryyyyyy
June 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Where I swam this morning the water was 33.8 degrees celsius. I'm pretty sure that's about 90 degrees fahrenheit... :eek:

I usually work out in 4 different pools per week. They're all warm, but this is the warmest. The excuse is that it's used for baby swim classes...

Mary

69gscal
June 5th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Maryyyyyy
Where I swam this morning the water was 33.8 degrees celsius. I'm pretty sure that's about 90 degrees fahrenheit... :eek:

I usually work out in 4 different pools per week. They're all warm, but this is the warmest. The excuse is that it's used for baby swim classes...

Mary

It's been some time but I too lived in Europe for a few years. If I remember correct, double the temp in C and add 32. That will roughly give the temp in F.

(34 x 2) + 32 = 100 :confused: :confused: :confused:

Nope, I must have forgotten.

Anyone know the conversion off the top of their head?

Maryyyyyy
June 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM
did a quick google and found an on-line converter:

33.8 degree Celsius = 92.84 degree Fahrenheit

on-line converter (http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm)

OUCH!! :(

jean sterling
June 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 69gscal
It's been some time but I too lived in Europe for a few years. If I remember correct, double the temp in C and add 32. That will roughly give the temp in F.

(34 x 2) + 32 = 100 :confused: :confused: :confused:

Nope, I must have forgotten.

Anyone know the conversion off the top of their head?

I believe it's (34 X 9/5) + 32 = 93.2

I know that 37C is normal body temperature, and this formula works for that, giving 98.6

knelson
June 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah, that's the correct formula. A degree C is 1.8 degrees F, and there's a 32 degree offset (0 C = 32 F).

By the way, an easy way to do conversions is good old Google. Just type in "33.8 C to F" and it will convert for you. You can use this trick to convert just about anything.

FINA rules specify a pool temperature of 25-28 degrees, by the way. That's 77-82 in F.

Guvnah
June 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I once chatted with the guy who ran the Olympic Training Center pool in Colorado Springs. They have found that anything above 84.0 is too warm to allow a vigorous swimmer to dissipate enough heat not to overtax the cardiovascular system. So that's a max target temp.

And because the elite swimmers have so little body fat and spend so many hours in the water, anything below 80 leaves them uncomfortably cold after a few hours.

So they keep their temp at 80.1 degrees.

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 6th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Kirk,
Are you by any chance of Norwegian ancestry/ Your last name is Norwegian. If yes, look at the thread about drills.

Swim inthe cove at Bar Harbor. You want to be cold. In august it is usually around 49 to 53 degreas F.

jean sterling
June 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by knelson
FINA rules specify a pool temperature of 25-28 degrees, by the way. That's 77-82 in F.

Sure sounds good to me! I go for 79-80!

knelson
June 7th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Kirk,
Are you by any chance of Norwegian ancestry/ Your last name is Norwegian. If yes, look at the thread about drills.

Yes, I have some Norwegian ancestry, but I can't post in that thread because it's gone off-topic and that seems to be frowned on around here ;)

I did see a good bumper sticker last week: "You can always tell a Norwegian. You just can't tell him much."

Tom Ellison
June 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Gosh, I thought that was a Harvard man.....

Maryyyyyy
June 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM
This morning, different pool...

27.3 degree Celsius = 81.14 degree Fahrenheit

IT FELT GREAT!!

but everyone around me was complaining that it was too cold. it's just one of those cultural things...

:cool:

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
My cousin lived in Seattle for a long tiem. He died back in 1995? Have you ever been to Wanetchee (I think that's right). There are streets named aftermy aunt & her kids. Her husband was a contractor. My cuosin was a swimmer for their high school back inthe sixties.

knelson
June 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
My cousin lived in Seattle for a long tiem. He died back in 1995? Have you ever been to Wanetchee (I think that's right). There are streets named aftermy aunt & her kids. Her husband was a contractor. My cuosin was a swimmer for their high school back inthe sixties.

Wenatchee. I haven't been there, but it's over on the "dry side" of the state east of the Cascade mountains.

I've only lived in Seattle for eight years. I grew up in Michigan.