PDA

View Full Version : no competition

swimming_cook
June 5th, 2005, 04:53 AM
i havent swam in 2 1/2 years because missouri has no swim team and swimming by your self just isnt as fun as competing. i want to get back in the water but i dont know how far i should swim to back into shape i was never able to do a full 100 butterfly but i killed the i.m. my events were any free style, 100 and 200 breast, and the 200 i.m.. i need help getting back into the water again.

waves101
June 6th, 2005, 09:36 AM
If you cannot find anyone or a team to workout with, then I suggest making your workouts your competition. Write down the sets and yardage you do and simply use them as competitive markers. Occasionally, throw in theme days, etc to break up the monotony.

mbmg3282
June 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Missouri does have a team, MOVY. Here is a link to their website http://community.lawrence.com/movy/

Maybe there is a workout group near where you live. If not, at least there will be some people to be teammates at events.

hickster
June 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Let me tell you a story: when I moved from Colorado to the Eastern Shore of Maryland two years ago, I was shocked to find no local masters team. What did I do? Started my own team...now a modest 30 members.

David, if you are really in Ft. Leonardwood, MO, you should look up Allen Rich...he's in the military there...can't remember all his title details, but anyway, he is a great swimmer and maybe between the two of you, you can start a team.

Steve

Anthony Thompson
June 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Missouri actually fall into two different local master swim committees(LMSC), the western half is part of Missouri Valley (MOVY) and the eastern half is part of Ozark. Most of the workout groups in MOVY are in the Kansas City area, with a few groups scatter across Kansas and perhaps one in Columbia. I am not familiar with all of Missouri, but can help with contacts. We do have a number of individuals who train on their own in a number of smaller towns in MO.

The USMS website is good source of information for workout ideas, under the coaches sections or postings on the discussion threads. Also, if you join USMS, you get SWIMMER magazine which has workout suggestions as well.

Ozark masters will be having an open water swim on 12-June, and may also have a LCM meet later in the summer (July-August). MOVY had a SCM meet last weekend, and are planning a LCM meet for 6-Aug in Lenexa Kansas. We are talking about a meet in Columbia Missouri with Ozark and MOVY co-promoting it in the Fall 2005.

Let me know if I can be more helpful,

Anthony Thompson, MOVY LMSC Chair
72714.2215@compuserve.com

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 7th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I lived in St. Louis for two years. Poorly organized.