PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Experience, anyone else care to share theirs?

thinkersw
June 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
This morning I was not planning on going to the pool, but when I looked outside it was raining. I went to the pool and spent the best hour that I have had in a long, long time. I spend the time kicking (I hate kicking with a passion) and just feeling the rain on my face. It was such a serene experience with the water droplets hitting my goggles and the feeling that it was just me, the rain, and the water. The mountains were covered in mist and no one else was in the pool, although there was one rather wet lifeguard that kept glaring at me. When I got out I felt refreshed and renewed and ready to face the rest of my day. Does anyone else have a beautiful experience at the pool?

SwiminONandON
June 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I have simply fallen in love with swimming outside. I love getting into the pool just as the sun is coming up and swimming with the sun shinning down on me ... it's like a little vacation ...

Tom Ellison
June 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I admire and love age group swimmers….and I love to see age group kids swimming that have GRIT. Last night between two tough sets of free & IM I was resting on the wall and watched this 11 to 12 year old girl dog this guy in her lane (he looked to be 16 to 17). He was obviously loafing a bit and she wanted too real this guy in during there 800 free. I could tell he was concerned about her putting him in her cross hairs because he kept looking over to see where she was as he came off the wall. I was really amused watching this little girl pound away at catching this guy and as things turned out, she darn near reeled him in at the end of the 800. I laughed to myself as I watched him big time pick up the pace at the end so he didn’t get caught…
After practice I made a point to be sitting on the deck as she walked by and I told her, “Hey kid, great effort, you nearly caught that guy.” She got this big grin on her face and said, “Next time…”

jswim
June 7th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Tom that's a great story!!!

I also love swimming in outdoor pools (though I haven't had the chance in awhile)...when I was swimming in Florida, there was a beautiful outdoor pool that is right on the bay. if you stand on your tiptoes in the shallow end you can see the water from there. At night and in the late afternoons (especially during summer) you can see these immense beautiful cloud formations and when the sun goes down and the light bounces off of the clouds and water it's just beautiful! A great time to swim!

swimr4life
June 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I have so many wonderful moments....it's hard to choose the best!

Probably my most meaningful was after my shoulder surgery. I was struggling through a very painful, longer than expected rehab. The Dr. had told me I may "never swim like I used to" due to the scar tissue my body formed after the surgery. The moment that brought tears of joy to my eyes was when I was able to swim a normal lap of freestyle without pain. I will never forget it. The feeling of the water gliding accross my body....pure joy! You don't know how much swimming means to you until you can't.

I'm happy to say now that I am fully recovered! :D

Leonard Jansen
June 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
At the pool I used to swim at, the 7-8 year olds were the last group to swim before adult lap swim. Consequently, I often ran into the boys in the locker room as they were changing to go home. There always seemed to be a predominant topic of conversation. Some I remember are:

1) Who is the coolest girl in school? Conclusion: "Brooke" was the coolest girl in school because "she didn't act like a girl." She also had a good selection of games for her Playstation and she'd let you play them.

2) Who was Joan of Arc? (Background: Some of the kids went to the local public school and some went to St. Joan of Arc Catholic School in Hershey). This was an intense conversation without much in the way of facts and it was finally decided (mainly because the Catholic school kids said so) that Joan of Arc was Jesus' girlfriend.

3) "I know where babies come from." - Some kid, in trying to show how smart he was, accidently let it slip that he knew because his sister in 10th grade had just come home pregnant.

4) Where is Johnny? (Background: Johnny was retarded and his great love in life was to float around in the pool. He was, in fact, sent to group home because his dad had become unable to care for him and he had no other relatives.) This was unanimous: Johnny was sent to jail for pooping in the pool on more than 1 occasion (the latter part true) and that's why your mom told you never to pee in the pool - they had a special chemical that showed it and they'd lock you up.

5) The worst thing. EVER. "Sean" had been talking to "Jenny" in the lunchroom at school and all of a sudden, without provocation or warning, she had kissed him ON THE LIPS in front of EVERYONE and asked if he wanted to be her boyfriend. It was generally agreed that "Sean": 1) Had moped for days after this catastrophe 2) Might as well give up on life, 3) Would probably get AIDS since that is how you got it and 4) that everyone was glad that he wasn't on the swim team.

-LBJ

FindingMyInnerFish
June 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I'm a newcomer to masters' workouts, so there is a lot that's new and exciting for me that others might understandably take for granted.

No access now to an outdoor pool--the one at my local Y is indoors. But there's a large window through which I can see the sun coming up. When I first started workouts, it was February, and still dark when I entered the pool. As I swam lap after lap, drill after drill, kicking, free, the whole bit, I'd notice suddenly that sky was pink, then that the water began to sparkle as the sun became visible. As a brand new day shone through the window, a new masters swimmer was being formed in the water. As winter turned to spring and the sun had already come up when I arrived at the pool, I was also developing, growing lighter in the water.

Now summer is almost here, and I am learning things I never thought I'd be able to do when I first began. The spring has seen the budding of my flip turn, my first nervous steps up onto the starting block. I knew how to dive, even had some experience diving from a high board as a kid--nothing fancy, just the basic dive, but it took plenty of courage at the time... and having been away from that aspect of swimming, it took as much courage again to stand on the block, the goggles making everything in my line of vision a bit skewed, the platform facing downward toward the water, testing my suddenly uncertain balance.... and the first push off, and my coach's thumbs up. For me, it's a chance to be a kid again, recover long-lost courage and a sense of adventure.

I've still got a long way to go speed and technique-wise. My butterfly looks more like a caterpillar. I still sometimes inhale water when I try bilateral breathing (though I do so less often than I used to). And my flip turns aren't ready for the shallow end yet (something about the nearness of the bottom that makes me a bit uneasy). When I reach the wall on the deep end, I'm always a little nervous before starting the turn. But most times now, I'm not starting too soon so that my feet have no wall to push off. Most times, I seem to be getting it--on the deep end at least. Sometimes I come to the pool after a weekend of long runs (my other hobby) just to do some easy recovery swimming--and lately found that to my surprise, I was passing people easily. I used to use the slow lanes in those situations--but no longer. And for recovery swims, I'd be content with maybe 250 or so yards. Now that's barely a start.

No, I'm still no speedster, but the pool has come to feel more like home. In a week, I'm trying a low key local Senior Games 50 freestyle. Based on my 50 free times (best so far is 53), I'm thinking people will be done and showered by the time I finish. But I haven't heard of anyone dying from finishing last in a 50 freestyle,* so I'm willing to give it a try.

* Note: if you've heard of such a thing, please don't tell me, okay? ;)

bda721
June 7th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I have seen some pretty special things happen throughout the years I swam when I was a kid. One I remember most was watching a teammate tie the high school record for the 200 IM set by Mark Spitz, and a week later someone beat that record. I've seen people smack their head on the wall, but kept going and won the race. But the number one memory I will have is actually my most recent, and the most inspirational and beautiful. At my last swim meet I finished warming up early so I could get out of the way of the other swimmers. As I was sitting in the bleachers I saw a man walk in on crutches, turned out he has one leg. I thought to myself wow, that is dedication and passion for swimming. About five minutes later a guy walked in with his wife and daughter holding very long poles. Just so happened that this man was blind! During warm ups he counted his strokes before reaching for the walls. He also swam in a very straight line, rarely hitting the lane lines. During his competitions his wife and daughter stood on the ends and tapped him with a pole to let him know when to turn and stop. It would have been easy to say that he swam good for a blind man, but he was just a good swimmer, if you didn't see his helpers, you would never know that he was blind. Whenever he finished a race everyone would applaud, I made the comment that he probably gets that all the time, but my god does he deserve it!

On a more humorous note, I lost two races to guy who is nearly 25 years older than me!

aquageek
June 7th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Leonard Jansen:

You should write more of these down, very very funny. Jesus' girlfriend, now that just can't be topped!

thinkersw
June 12th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Well, to add to my original post, I had another great swimming experience. Spring weather has been strange in Utah this year, one day it might be snowing and the next day 80 degrees. Today, I cancelled everything that I needed to do and went to the pool. I swam my own workout and did a little bit of whatever I wanted including some thrilling lengths of super-fly and corkscrew. Then I just floated for about twenty minutes and soaked in the sunshine and being in the water.

Seagurl51
June 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Those are such wonderful stories!

Leonard--That was probably the funniest thing I have read in a long time!

Tom--I love watching people really give it their all.

FindingMyInnerFish--GOOD LUCK in your first meet!!!

The most beautiful swimming moments for me would be, when I got back into the water for the first time after several years out. I didn't realize how much I missed it. Also, my first race in February. I remember that being on those starting blocks for only the thrid time in my life and about to start my first ever race at my first ever competition was the most nerve racking and exciting thing I have ever done. It was soo exhiliarting!! I remember smiling during my whole race.