PDA

View Full Version : !NSR! Setting up a board

Seagurl51
June 7th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I know that this thread will be closed really soon, but I would love if I could get some answers first. I have my own website (one of those dinky little do it yourself things), but I would be more than willing to set up a board on it (it already has an unused chat room if anyone is interested tell me). Problem is I don't know how, does anyone know a place where I can find out how or would be willing to take the time to shoot me an e-mail or PM telling me. Thanks a bundle!

Seagurl51
June 7th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Has anyone ever heard of or used Proboards.com?

ande
June 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM
what does NSR stand for?

Not swimming related?

ande

ande
June 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM
OK I created

USMS NSR at yahoogroups.com
to find it drop by

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/USMSNSR/

any one can post
on the web or by sending an email to
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

if y'all want I can make it a private group where only members can post. I can also make it a private group where it will be unlisted and only people can join by our approval so we filter out spammers - let me know

I'm also happy to make other folks moderators
if you wanna be a moderator let me know

to subscribe send an email to
USMSNSR-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

to unsubscribe send an email to
USMSNSR-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

I recommend that you join then edit your membership so you get a daily digest or or NO EMAIL in the event that the site becomes active

knock yourselves out

any one have any questions you can email me at
AndeRasmussen@aol.com

SwiminONandON
June 7th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Wonderful now everyone can be happy ...

ande
June 7th, 2005, 11:22 AM
to read the message archive drop by
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/USMSNSR/messages

thinkersw
June 7th, 2005, 05:08 PM
What is the address for your website?

msgrupp
June 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM
does this mean that your posts will now appear on the Yahoo Board and not become long-long-long posts on this board? This includes your blog.

I'm a Yahoo moderator and use Yahoo Groups as both a participant and a mod.

I'll probably get shouted down for this suggestion but at times, Ande, almost all the topics have been started by you.

Seagurl51
June 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I hope Ande doesn't stop posting his tips here!! That would be terrible. I don't think that's what the other board was created for either. It's simply another option where we can still talk about swimming but also mix in a healthy dose of regular life and the totally bizzare.

ande
June 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM
just a reminder
we set up
USMSNSR
for off topic off color discussions
anything that could potentiall get banned

I think we made it members only so if you want to participate
here's the info how

to find it drop by

to join USMSNSR SEND an EMPTY email to

to QUIT send an EMPTY email to

I recommend that you join then edit your membership
so you get a daily digest or or NO EMAIL
in the event that the site becomes active

AndeRasmussen@aol.com

once you join you post
from the the WEB or
by sending an email to
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

Ande

ande
June 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM
hello msgrupp,

I just created the yahoogroup because I've created many yahoogroups and there was a need. I'll occasionally post on the yahoo board when I feel like jumping in.

there's 25 threads on page 1 I've started 3 of them:

"ASK Ande" when someone asks me a question
"Ande's Blog" when I have an update and
"Swim Faster Faster" when I have a new tip.

I chime in on others when I have something to write.

I hope to help people improve their swimming ability. I believe several people have gotten some great results from applying the ideas I've shared. Many people have sent me PM's and emails which I've tried to respond to.

Any one care to write what's happened because you applied an idea from one of these threads?

I won't post at all between Sun July 3rd till Saturday July 16th.

MsGrupp, how do you feel about the "long-long-long posts on this board? including my blog?

Ande

Originally posted by msgrupp
does this mean that your posts will now appear on the Yahoo Board and not become long-long-long posts on this board? This includes your blog.

I'm a Yahoo moderator and use Yahoo Groups as both a participant and a mod.

I'll probably get shouted down for this suggestion but at times, Ande, almost all the topics have been started by you.

LindsayNB
June 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Wow. I can't imagine why anyone would suggest moving Ande's swimming related topics to his new "Not Swimming Related" yahoo group. Those long threads are some of the most relevant and interesting on this board and are generally the one's I read first if I'm short on time. I can't imagine that more than a tiny fraction of the users of this forum would want Ande to move his swimming related posts somewhere else.

SwiminONandON
June 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM
I for one say that the swimming related posts need to stay. The first things I read here are Ande's swimming blog, his tips and the ask Ande section. You don't get much more swimming related than those.

msgrupp
June 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM
when I want to read a blog--I had for a blog-related site. This site isn't devoted to blogs.

While personal opinions and ideas can differ---writing styles also differ.

If I wanted to post a "diary" (which appears to be more what your blog is)---I'd write one. But, since I don't think people are going to care about every little tiny detail of how I feel on a particular day, what I weigh when I started a workout and what I weighed when it ended, or that I need to lose X # of lbs, or that today I was able to accomplish x # of yards/meters or that I did x # of lengths of a particular stroke and that I used my left hand more than my right and that I experimented with a different (fill in the blank) cap, goggles, kickboard position, flippers, today I taped my left knee cap in place and that it felt different while kicking, or the pool water temp was x or there were x # of people sharing my lane and on and on.

I'm sure there are places for blogs. But I STILL don't think the USMS site is the specific place for individual blogs. By the time you get over 200 entries---it's too much material to read for someone new.

I'm on another board, where one posting now runs more than 2000 entries (and it's not a blog). The thing has taken on a life of it's own and now takes up quite a bit of the owner's bandwidth.

Maybe, Ande, you need to start ANOTHER Yahoo board specifically for blogs of swimming people. Then all of you could sit there and post your feelings about your day's swim.

ande
June 10th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Dear msgrupp,

You made some good points in your post about that thread being too much for a new person to read, people get to choose what they click and what they read. Maybe I'll truncate it at the end of the year. Maybe I'll place an explanation and introduction at the beginning. The bulk of it is about the workouts I do each day. So I might have mislabeled the thread when I created it, there are several threads dedicated to workouts in the Workouts forum.

If you look at my masters rankings in the mens 40 - 44 age group
you'll see that in the 200 IM in:
2004 LCM I was ranked #2 in the world
2004 SCM I was ranked #1 in the world
2005 SCY I'm currently ranked #1 in the US
So this thread shows my fellow masters swimmers how I train each day and the things I go through. I'd love to read what trip hedrick or richard abrahams or jim mcconica or other elite masters swimmers did each day to train.

Plus I happens to train at the UT swim center where the UT men and womens teams train under coaches Eddie Reese and Jill Sterkel. Plus several world record holders and olympians train there as well like: Ian Crocker (WR 100 fly), Aaron Piersol (WR 100 bk and 200 bk), Brendan Hansen (WR 100 br and 200 br), Neil Walker Olympian 2000 and 2004, and Nate Dusing (Olympian 2000 & 2004)

Many people have written me saying they enjoy reading the thread. People who train on their own write saying they've used those sets in their practices. Visitors don't have to read the whole thing they can just read the latest which is always at the end, or what ever they choose to. Plus it sports a high number of views and fairly high "posts" to "views" ratio.

I believe this board was created to allow masters swimmers to share info, create a community, encourage each other to improve, support each other when life throws curves, and for countless other positive reasons.

thank you for sharing your opinion,

ande

PS How's your swimming going?

when I want to read a blog--I had for a blog-related site. This site isn't devoted to blogs.

While personal opinions and ideas can differ---writing styles also differ.

If I wanted to post a "diary" (which appears to be more what your blog is)---I'd write one. But, since I don't think people are going to care about every little tiny detail of how I feel on a particular day, what I weigh when I started a workout and what I weighed when it ended, or that I need to lose X # of lbs, or that today I was able to accomplish x # of yards/meters or that I did x # of lengths of a particular stroke and that I used my left hand more than my right and that I experimented with a different (fill in the blank) cap, goggles, kickboard position, flippers, today I taped my left knee cap in place and that it felt different while kicking, or the pool water temp was x or there were x # of people sharing my lane and on and on.

I'm sure there are places for blogs. But I STILL don't think the USMS site is the specific place for individual blogs. By the time you get over 200 entries---it's too much material to read for someone new.

I'm on another board, where one posting now runs more than 2000 entries (and it's not a blog). The thing has taken on a life of it's own and now takes up quite a bit of the owner's bandwidth.

Maybe, Ande, you need to start ANOTHER Yahoo board specifically for blogs of swimming people. Then all of you could sit there and post your feelings about your day's swim.

SwiminONandON
June 10th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Ande first of all it's PEIRSOL! Come on ;)

Second of all I think that that number of views and replies to Ande's blog, Ask Ande, and his tips show that they are very popular.

I have great coaches but I like reading about what other people are doing in the pool. I also love the random little tidbits about the UT swimmers.

Ande is a huge source of info and I think all of it is valuable.

Heidi
June 10th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I am new to swimming and this site and I have to say, Ande's blog, tips, and advice are all very helpful to me and I like to read them. I don't get it, it's very easy to just not click on a thread if you don't like it.

msgrupp
June 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM
name-dropping is never popular. Just because you're swimming at UT doesn't make you a better swimmer.

This board is supposed to serve all age groups in the masters range. What a 40-44 year old male is doing isn't much help to a 50-54 year old FEMALE.

It doesn't impress me that you're a ranked swimmer. Your methods of training don't have to be the methods used by everyone.

Everyone is different. Personally, I'm swimming with a number of injuries that have required surgery. Obviously I'm not going to be able to put in anything close to what you're doing in a week. Many of us have LIVES outside of swimming and can't devote hours a week to the pool.

I've swum with ranked swimmers before. Somehow, if you check the times that will be posted on the Senior Games here in Pittsburgh--you'll (probably find) that a majority of the swimmers older than you (since the Sr Games START at age 50)---are doing better than you are.

It's been proven that yardage doesn't make the better swimmer--technique does. Yes, coaching is nice but not everyone can afford to swim at a coached session OR has access to coaches. Just because you're posting what YOU"RE doing in a workout doesn't make it right for the rest of the swimming population. In fact, for some swimmers, it could be very harmful to try to "compete" in your workouts. When I boosted my mileage a few summers ago---I've now had 6 surgeries to fix that problem.

I'm pleased that I'm even able to swim after 6 shoulder surgeries, a knee surgery, major back surgery, hand/wrist surgery, asthma and other muscle problems that are currently going (including breast stroker's knee). Yeah--I'm not going to compete with a MALE that's 10 years younger than I am but neither do I believe that having a whole posting about an individual's daily training pattern is needed.

That's why BLOGS were started. To allow individuals the freedom to have their OWN place to post daily musings and opinions. Not to use someone else's (paid for) space for their own private musings.

LindsayNB
June 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM
If the USMS admins think that Ande's blog is taking up too much of their resources I am sure they will let him know, witness their recent closing of the NSR threads. In the mean time, I hope that those of you who don't want to read Ande's blog will simply not read that thread, and allow the rest of us the opportunity to enjoy and benefit from something we find valuable.

poolmonkey
June 10th, 2005, 11:48 PM
That's why BLOGS were started. To allow individuals the freedom to have their OWN place to post daily musings and opinions. Not to use someone else's (paid for) space for their own private musings.

Probably where this post should have been. On YOUR OWN BLOG, since the value it added to the swimming community was absolutely NOTHING.

This board is supposed to serve all age groups in the masters range. What a 40-44 year old male is doing isn't much help to a 50-54 year old FEMALE.

...Your methods of training don't have to be the methods used by everyone.

In that regard, can anyone really post anything to this site?

Where does it stop? This whole board has become such drama.

I think it's great that someone of Ande's caliber shares with us what they are doing for many of the points that you listed. I pretty much gave up swimming 9 years ago, because I torn my shoulders to pieces swimming in college. And now I have kids, work, life, etc. and there are not many coached places to swim around, so reading threads like this inspire me to add things or shoot for things to put into my workouts. I, like you to some extent, have to listen to my body and realize when enough is enough. I still find the time to get in 2 to 3 times a week before work and one morning on the weekends if/when possible. Sure, I can't pull of his yardage or intervals, but I modify some of these workouts or add some of these sets (on different intervals) into my workouts.

I understand your complaint about the size and personal comments to some extent, but to me, the benefits of this "blog" far out weigh the downsides.

Please don't let your personal issues ruin this for the many of us that are benefitting from Ande's posts. Good luck with your blog.

knelson
June 11th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I don't get it. It seems that msgrupp's main gripe about ande is he posts too much. I certainly don't read everything he posts, but I don't begrudge him his right to post. For the most part his posts ARE about swimming. In my opinion the more active a board is, the better. In the grand scheme of things a few hundred--heck a few thousand--lines of text isn't going to bring the server to it's knees.

ande
June 11th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Dear Ms Grupp,

I'm just a person. That doesn't make me better than anyone.

It's true as as far training goes, there are many ways to train.

It's true that injuries are serious business and people need to be very careful to avoid them. Swimmers can seriously injure themselves;especially when doing new things. It's true once a swimmer has an injury they need to work with their doctors, physical trainers, and coaches to adjust their training methods accordingly.

Each of us trains with what fits our schedules. I have the chance to train Mon - Fri 6:30 am to 8:00. It doesn't always work out. When do you train?

you wrote: "you'll (probably find) that a majority of the swimmers older than you (since the Sr Games START at age 50)---are doing better than you are."
~~~> MS Grupp, you're poorly informed in this area. It's true there are a few swimmers over 50 who swim faster times in events I don't train for, focus on, or compete in, but if you check the 200 IM, SCY, SCM, and LCM you'll find there aren't any swimmers 50 or over who can swim the times I recently swam.

I also believe that people who read my work outs KNOW they need to modify distances and intervals according to what they can handle. People know if they want to increase their training they need to work up to it.

I think the USMS webhost has plenty of storage and a single thread wouldn't take up much room. Plus you mentioned "Not to use someone else's (paid for) space"
Aren't we all dues paying masters swimmers?

I wish you well.

Ande

name-dropping is never popular. Just because you're swimming at UT doesn't make you a better swimmer.

It doesn't impress me that you're a ranked swimmer. Your methods of training don't have to be the methods used by everyone.

Everyone is different. Personally, I'm swimming with a number of injuries that have required surgery. Obviously I'm not going to be able to put in anything close to what you're doing in a week. Many of us have LIVES outside of swimming and can't devote hours a week to the pool.

I've swum with ranked swimmers before. Somehow, if you check the times that will be posted on the Senior Games here in Pittsburgh--you'll (probably find) that a majority of the swimmers older than you (since the Sr Games START at age 50)---are doing better than you are.

It's been proven that yardage doesn't make the better swimmer--technique does. Yes, coaching is nice but not everyone can afford to swim at a coached session OR has access to coaches. Just because you're posting what YOU"RE doing in a workout doesn't make it right for the rest of the swimming population. In fact, for some swimmers, it could be very harmful to try to "compete" in your workouts. When I boosted my mileage a few summers ago---I've now had 6 surgeries to fix that problem.

I'm pleased that I'm even able to swim after 6 shoulder surgeries, a knee surgery, major back surgery, hand/wrist surgery, asthma and other muscle problems that are currently going (including breast stroker's knee). Yeah--I'm not going to compete with a MALE that's 10 years younger than I am but neither do I believe that having a whole posting about an individual's daily training pattern is needed.

ande
June 11th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Dear Heidi and other USMS discussion forum friends,

thank you for your kind words about Ande's Blog, Swim Faster Faster and Ask Ande.

I appreciate it

ande

Originally posted by Heidi
I am new to swimming and this site and I have to say, Ande's blog, tips, and advice are all very helpful to me and I like to read them. I don't get it, it's very easy to just not click on a thread if you don't like it.

Tom Ellison
June 11th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Ande:
Please, by all means continue to post your thoughts, input, workouts etc....

Over the years Msgruup has been decent....and....positive.....and he is intitled to his opinion....Having said that, I do not agree with his posts on this subject....and...that is why the make Buicks and Chevs.....

My suggestion is that everyone be nice, decent and POSITIVE in what they hope to accomplish here....

I for one..(ok, three... with Mr. Moose, Ralph & Tom) see Ande's posts as nothing but positive....PLease continue Ande.....

Kindest regards,
Tom Ellison

ande
June 12th, 2005, 11:23 AM
thank you tom
I appreciate your words

Ande

just a reminder

USMSNSR at yahoogroups is now available for
off topic
off color discussions for masters swimming board members
anything that could potentially get banned HERE,
plus it will take a little work off the moderators
they'll have less to skim and may get fewer complaints

It's now members only so if you want to participate
here's the info how

to find it drop by

to join USMSNSR SEND an EMPTY email to
then just confirm when you get that email

to QUIT send an EMPTY email to

I recommend once you JOIN you EDIT your membership
in the event that the site becomes active
if you get no EMAIL you can check it on the web

any one has any questions Email me at
AndeRasmussen@aol.com

once you join you can post
from the the WEB or
send an email to
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

Ande

Originally posted by Tom Ellison
Ande:
Please, by all means continue to post your thoughts, input, workouts etc....

Over the years Msgruup has been decent....and....positive.....and he is intitled to his opinion....Having said that, I do not agree with his posts on this subject....and...that is why the make Buicks and Chevs.....

My suggestion is that everyone be nice, decent and POSITIVE in what they hope to accomplish here....

I for one..(ok, three... with Mr. Moose, Ralph & Tom) see Ande's posts as nothing but positive....PLease continue Ande.....

Kindest regards,
Tom Ellison

Maryyyyyy
June 12th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hi!
Just want to say that I find Ande's threads extremely useful! I am also older, and um, may I say "more femminine" than he is, but that doesn't mean I can't learn from his advice and experience. As others have said, we all can calibrate his workouts to our own capabilities and goals.
Keep up the great work Ande!!

Mary

PS: Every day when I wake up I say to myself, "Mary, remember to remain teachable (or coachable) today!" I've learned a lot from Ande, and it's exciting!

ande
June 13th, 2005, 12:00 PM
thank you mary,
it's very kind of you to write those words
I'm happy my posts have helped you.

Ande

Originally posted by Maryyyyyy
Hi!
Just want to say that I find Ande's threads extremely useful! I am also older, and um, may I say "more femminine" than he is, but that doesn't mean I can't learn from his advice and experience. As others have said, we all can calibrate his workouts to our own capabilities and goals.
Keep up the great work Ande!!

Mary

PS: Every day when I wake up I say to myself, "Mary, remember to remain teachable (or coachable) today!" I've learned a lot from Ande, and it's exciting!

ande
June 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
just a reminder

for your NON SWIMMING RELATED POSTS there's

USMSNSR at yahoogroups is now available

to find it drop by:

to join USMSNSR
SEND an EMPTY email to

I recommend once you JOIN USMSNSR
EDIT your membership
you can check it on the web

If any one has any questions
you can email me at
AndeRasmussen@aol.com

from the USMSNSR site or
send an email to
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

Ande

newmastersswimmer
June 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I for one feel that Ande should be dragged into the town square and publicly flogged.....Not for his threads though...they are very nice and helpful......the reason is just b/c he is a former UT swimmer and member of the ever Evil "GoodSmith posse".....(and the fact that all the women around here apparently worship the UT Male swimmers).

Newmastersswimmer

Leonard Jansen
June 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM
[i](and the fact that all the women around here apparently worship the UT Male swimmers). [/B]

Jim -

Doesn't it just make you sick?

I know that you have often asked yourself (as have I) so many times in your life: "Where are all the mathematics groupies that they promised me when they recruited me for grad school?"

Knowing that these women will go through their lives, serially dating UT swimmer studmuffins, without ever experiencing the attentions of a mathematics person... well, it just breaks my heart to know that there are women in such dire straits. Poor, sad things...

-LBJ

Scansy
June 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM
They promised you mathematics groupies, they promised me engineering groupies.

I'm still waiting for them to deliver on their promise too.

SwiminONandON
June 16th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Awh, I love math guys, too. And engineering guys! I don 't discriminate...

As for ALL the women here loving the UT men, I think it's pretty much just me, I'm just very vocal (or I write about it alot anyway)...

ande
June 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM
OK Keather here's you some UT Men eye candy links

Here’s UT's current roster
click on each name for a pic and bio
http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=16&url_channel_id=20

here’s an archive
several have team pictures
http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=20&change_well_id=3

ande

Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Awh, I love math guys, too. And engineering guys! I don 't discriminate...

As for ALL the women here loving the UT men, I think it's pretty much just me, I'm just very vocal (or I write about it alot anyway)...

Leonard Jansen
June 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by ande
OK Keather here's you some UT Men eye candy links

Ha! Here is a link to the Math Dept at a highly regarded university that has pictures of the faculty if you click on the person's name. You'll see that they blow the UT men's team out of the water.

http://www.math.cmu.edu/people/fac/

Race over, Ande!

-LBJ

SwiminONandON
June 16th, 2005, 12:01 PM
That's one smokin' hot math department ;) ... There is one good looking one from UT though ...

hrietz
June 16th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
That's one smokin' hot math department ;) ... There is one good looking one from UT though ...

I must be missing something or maybe I didn't click on enough names...

newmastersswimmer
June 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I know that you have often asked yourself (as have I) so many times in your life: "Where are all the mathematics groupies that they promised me when they recruited me for grad school?"
posted by Leonard Jansen

Yaeh I know!......It was such a painful reality slap when I discovered that those empty promises were just cheap lies and deceptions!......In the immortal words of C. Heston....D### them all to h###!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s....Ande....In that photo of the 1981 team.....Which one is you and which one is the goodsmith?

ande
June 16th, 2005, 02:38 PM
you asked:" In that photo of the 1981 team, Which one is you?
which one is the goodsmith?"

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=20&url_article_id=1720&change_well_id=2

that is the 1981 team, it contains everyone, some of the photos are just the championship squads. people who went to the NCAA meet.

I'm not in that photo. I was a senior in high school at the time. I started attending UT September 1981.

john "good" smith is the blonde guy in the center of the back row. he is the seventh person in the back row, counting left to right

Ande

newmastersswimmer
June 16th, 2005, 03:18 PM
O.k......I actually thought he was the guy sitting in the middle of the front row (5th person on front row counting left to right).....The guy with the large red dew (kinda like a red version of Dr. J's dew back in the ABA days.....sorry ....I hope that doesn't offend anyone from UT).

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
June 16th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Dang!! UT swimmers were even hott in the 80's!

newmastersswimmer
June 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Dang!! UT swimmers were even hott in the 80's!
posted by Seagurl

Kyra, Don't be drawn in by the deception......It's an illusion that's all......I'm convinced now (after reading the former UT Masters swimmers posts around here), that these UT swimmer types are nothin but pure Evil.....My advice.....Look away Kyra....and don't ever look back!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. If it helps any....try and focus on the math faculty photos the Nice Mr. Jansen provided....that will help to stray your mind away from the Evil!!

Seagurl51
June 16th, 2005, 06:33 PM
So basically you're saying the photos have been digitally touched up and that the only people who can save us are the nice math profs? I did like the second guys suit though....those checks were hott. Those pics must have been taken in the 80's too (I'm gonna hurt for that huh?):p

Canadian Triathlete
June 17th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
I know that this thread will be closed really soon, but I would love if I could get some answers first. I have my own website (one of those dinky little do it yourself things), but I would be more than willing to set up a board on it (it already has an unused chat room if anyone is interested tell me). Problem is I don't know how, does anyone know a place where I can find out how or would be willing to take the time to shoot me an e-mail or PM telling me. Thanks a bundle!

Two Options:

Free: www.phpbb.com
Paid: www.vbulletin.com

Both are very similar. You will recieve more customer support with VBulletin, but PHPBB is VERY powerful and similar and the online support in the community is great. Either way, you will be happy. I would recommend PHPBB for your own uses.

Good Luck!

Any other questions, feel free to shoot my way ;)

ande
June 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
just a reminder

for your NON SWIMMING RELATED POSTS there's

USMSNSR at yahoogroups is now available

to find it drop by:

to join USMSNSR
SEND an EMPTY email to

I recommend once you JOIN USMSNSR
EDIT your membership
you can check it on the web

If any one has any questions
you can email me at
AndeRasmussen@aol.com

from the USMSNSR site or
send an email to
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

Ande

Swimmy
June 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM
I vote for the UT swimmers too. Not into pocket protectors...
Swimmy :)

ande
June 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
ok now is any one keeping count
in the duel of

UT Swimmers vs the Mathletes

cast your vote today

ande

Originally posted by Swimmy
I vote for the UT swimmers too. Not into pocket protectors...
Swimmy :)

SwiminONandON
June 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Sorry Jim, gotta go with the UT swimmers on this one ...

Leonard Jansen
June 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ande
ok now is any one keeping count
in the duel of

UT Swimmers vs the Mathletes

cast your vote today

ande

Yes, but remember that it's the Mathletes (great name, BTW) who can do the counting and if you control the vote counts, you own the election - just ask GWB.

Of course, if one of the UT guys was a math major, that would just be too much of a good thing and both sides could hate him.

C'mon ladies - get those votes for the Mathletes in now!

-LBJ

ande
June 22nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
in defense of nerds and geeks

is that sometimes they wind up running the world or wealthly.

http://cbsnews.cbs.com/htdocs/microsoft/timeline1.html

On a strictly a cultural level women look for good providers.

Ande

SwiminONandON
June 22nd, 2005, 03:39 PM
To be completely honest I may joke about marrying for money ... but I never would ... Poor and happy over rich and miserable any day of the week ...

newmastersswimmer
June 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry Jim, gotta go with the UT swimmers on this one ...
posted by Keather

Don't worry Keather, You're probably just a little confused right now that's all.....It's a common thing for a young girl as yourself to become a little confused at times......You will eventually come around though....they all eventually come around.

Newmastersswimmer

newmastersswimmer
June 22nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Of course, if one of the UT guys was a math major, that would just be too much of a good thing and both sides could
hate him. originally posted by Leonard Jansen

Cmon now Leonard....Lets try and stick to ideas that are at least halfway beyond totally fantasy now!!

Newmastersswimmer

knelson
June 22nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Hey Newmastersswimmer, I just noticed you've got a spelling error in your signature! Typical mathematician :D

edit: o.k., two actually. You also spelled "Einstein" incorrectly.

newmastersswimmer
June 22nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Where?.....Einstein must have been a typo ...darn those double vowels!!......I can't find the other misspelling?....maybe I'm looking at it with some kinda dyslexia??.....BTW, first it's my general writing style and now it's my spelling....hummmm.....What's with all the English related comments anyway Knelson?....(j/k of course)......I wasn't the 3rd grade spelling bee champ that's for sure.....I hate spelling as a matter of fact.....If we are to spell correctly, I feel that the powers that be should create a language with MUCH fewer inconsistencies about spelling and grammer rules!!....Something more along the lines of Latin.....A much more logical language than pathetic English IMHO!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Typical Engineer!!....Always worried about the actual nuts and bolts of everything ...no matter how mundane!

knelson
June 23rd, 2005, 12:45 AM
You put "it's limits" and it should be "its limits." "It's" is a contraction of "it is." At least this is one grammar rule that is consistent: contractions have apostrophes.

I'd let it slide, but since it appears in all your posts I figured you might want to fix it :)

newmastersswimmer
June 23rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Speaking of consistent verses inconsistent when it comes to grammar rules....and how contractions are consistently expressed with apostrophes......What about the "sometimes only" rule that says you also use apostrophes to indicate "possession"?....Like "Jim's Bike" for example?.....If you do not always follow this rule in every circumstance then I wouldn't exactly call that rule consistent....right?.....In the context that I uses the apostrophe, there is a defintite case of possession for "it" possessing the "limits".....Once again...English is full of irregularities and I don't have the extra mental space nor the time to worry about meaningless particulars like that.....I think that in the context that I used the apostrophe, one should be able to ascertain the correct purpose for the apostrophe there (even if it is grammatically incorrect).....but who am I anyway!!??

Newmastersswimmer

LindsayNB
June 23rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Perhaps out of respect for Albert you should either remove the apostrophe or remove the quotation marks? ;)

knelson
June 23rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
What about the "sometimes only" rule that says you also use apostrophes to indicate "possession"?....Like "Jim's Bike" for example?.....If you do not always follow this rule in every circumstance then I wouldn't exactly call that rule consistent....right?.....In the context that I uses the apostrophe, there is a defintite case of possession for "it" possessing the "limits"

The rule is you don't use an apostrophe for possessive pronouns. There's no apostrophe in its just like there isn't one in hers or ours.

Tom Ellison
June 23rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
When I was a little kid in 2nd grade we had this kid in our class that had dyslexia...I never could figure out why he used to pray to his DOG.....

newmastersswimmer
June 23rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
So the fact that there is an "exception" for when apostrophes are used to indicate possession in the case of pronouns shows a "kind of" inconsistency in the sense that there is no "general" rule for apostrophes and possession.....like when using apostrophes for contractions...which you indicated is a "general rule"......Other examples are like the "i" before "e" "except" after "c" rule......and even that exception rule has exceptions to it...etc...etc.........bottom line is that I don't care!.....I am sorry though if my writing style, spelling errors, punctuation errors, and/or grammar errors cause you any discomfort.

Newmastersswimmer

knelson
June 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
I am sorry though if my writing style, spelling errors, punctuation errors, and/or grammer errors cause you any discomfort.

Thanks. I have my Maalox sitting here in case I need it when reading your posts ;)

Some people's brains are wired for spelling and grammar, some aren't. Those in the second camp usually learn it isn't worth the effort to worry much about it, but those of us in the first are always there to point out their errors!

newmastersswimmer
June 23rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
Some people's brains are wired for spelling and grammar, some aren't. Those in the second camp usually learn it isn't worth the effort to worry much about it, but those of us in the first are always there to point out their errors!
originally posted by knelson

My brain is wired to admire things that make logical sense to me......Maybe this sounds egocentric....and I apologize if it does....but in all seriousness, it is hard for me to pay much attention to something that I see as a kind of "artificial layer of complexity" woven into a language that has little practical purpose.....In mathematics you hardly ever see this kind of thing....the symbolic language is subject to interpretation based on the context that it is used....for example (1,5) can mean many different things depending on the context in which it is used...... it could represent a single ordered pair in the x-y plane.....or it could mean all the real numbers that are both strictly greater than 1 and strictly less than 5......It could also be interpreted as a 1x2 matrix (usually without the comma though).....My point is that there are many symbols and words commonly used in mathematics that have ambiguous meaning without supporting context clues......In English (and other languages as well), it seems as if many of the inconsistencies (i.e. irregularities) within the rules of grammer, spelling and punctuation are some kind of attempts at correcting perceived ambiguities (like it's verses its for example).....It's not good enough to simply ascertain the meaning of the apostrophe in it's from the context clues....we need an extra complexity within the rules to help us?.....To me, the extra layer of unnecessary complexity within the rules of English only serves one purpose.....So that those who have wasted their time learning them all can go around correcting others who have not.....Sorry Knelson.....Please try not to take to much offense.

Newmastersswimmer

SwiminONandON
June 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Jim come and play on the aforementioned board ... :)

knelson
June 23rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
[.....It's not good enough to simply ascertain the meaning of the apostrophe in it's from the context clues

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. The reason for the grammar rules is to avoid any ambiguities. The only way to make this work is to follow the rules all the time.

But I think we've both kicked this dead horse enough, so I'll let it rest. As I mentioned, I only brought it up because it was a quote in your signature.

SwiminONandON
June 23rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
So back to the UT swimmers ... ;)

By the way, I don't descriminate ... Auburn, USC, UCLA, Standord, Cal, Arizona, Michigan ... they all work ...

newmastersswimmer
June 23rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
But I think we've both kicked this dead horse enough, so I'll let it rest. As I mentioned, I only brought it up because it was a quote in your signature.
originally posted by Knelson

agreed.....but since you seem like a decent enough old chap, I decided to fix my signature so that you don't have to down "as much" Maalox when encountering my postings in the future.

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Heather ...I will come and play at the other NSR board as soon as you provide results for my so called "requests" over there (j/k of course.....I will be there soon I promise).

ande
August 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
OK I created

to find it drop by

any one can post
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

if y'all want I can make it a private group where only members can post. I can also make it a private group where it will be unlisted and only people can join by our approval so we filter out spammers - let me know

I recommend that you join then edit your membership so you get a daily digest or or NO EMAIL in the event that the site becomes active

knock yourselves out

AndeRasmussen@aol.com

pmbchill
August 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
When I was a little kid in 2nd grade we had this kid in our class that had dyslexia...I never could figure out why he used to pray to his DOG.....
Did you know about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac who stayed up all night wondering if there is a dog?

ande
August 24th, 2005, 09:27 AM
last call (maybe?)

to find it drop by

any one can post
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

knock yourselves out

AndeRasmussen@aol.com

ande
January 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
just wanted to remind folks about this

ande

OK I created

to find it drop by

any one can post
USMSNSR@yahoogroups.com

knock yourselves out

AndeRasmussen@aol.com