PDA

View Full Version : 5000! Warning--swimming related thread

gull
June 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I've been working out with the age group/high school team in the mornings. I'm off this week so I didn't have to leave practice early to go to work. Went 5000 yards--the last time I did that Jimmy Carter was in the White House. Overall felt pretty good. Swam some fly, went 6:05 for a 500 free at the end of a distance set. Disclaimer--it took me two years to work up to this.

Tom Ellison
June 7th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Craig Man....you are turning into a serious "Stud Swimmer!"
Nice workout and great end of workout 500 free....:cool:

gull
June 7th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks. Actually you (and others on this forum) have been my inspiration--I would like to duplicate your sub 20 minute mile.

newmastersswimmer
June 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM
So this is an "SRT" eh?........I like the acronyms flying around here these days.......Congrats Craig on the 5000 yard practice (and the strong finish with the nice 500 time!)......I am also trying to slowly work my way up to somewhere around 5000 yards a practice.....I've done a couple of 4300 - 4500 yard practices recently....but usually I range from 3300 to 4000 because of time constraints.....It would be nice if I could also workout with a local age group team here in town (like maybe once or twice a week).....I've thought about traveling to Memphis (about 80 miles one way).....once a week to work out with an age group team there (probably a saturday morning practice)...that would also give me a chance to workout in a 50 meter pool once a week.

Keep up the good work Craig!

newmastersswimmer

ande
June 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Congratulations

Ande

Originally posted by gull80
I've been working out with the age group/high school team in the mornings. I'm off this week so I didn't have to leave practice early to go to work. Went 5000 yards--the last time I did that Jimmy Carter was in the White House. Overall felt pretty good. Swam some fly, went 6:05 for a 500 free at the end of a distance set. Disclaimer--it took me two years to work up to this.

Tom Ellison
June 7th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Right now I couldn't swim a sub-twenty minute mile if they threw me out the door of a Boeing 747 in cruise.....

But, I'm back and working on it.....;)

gull
June 7th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
But, I'm back and working on it.....;)

Good to hear that you're back in the water where you belong.

aquageek
June 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Saturday is usually the only morning where I can put in more yardage and usually only up to 4300. I'm finding, however, that the last 2000 is much more pleasant than the first 2000+. At about minute 45-50 I really feel pretty good, whereas the early sets wind me more. Is anyone else experiencing this when putting in higher yardage days?

Darksaber
June 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I do 3500 three times a week. I agree with you - I generally feel the best in the last third of the distance.

I've been thinking about going for a 5000 morning - this may be the spark that pushes me to it :)

I'm sure that they won't be 20 minute miles though... maybe 30

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
You southerners kick. Here in the midwest, I swim about 3600 to 4200 a day. It depends on how hard the work outs are.

gull
June 7th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
Saturday is usually the only morning where I can put in more yardage and usually only up to 4300. I'm finding, however, that the last 2000 is much more pleasant than the first 2000+. At about minute 45-50 I really feel pretty good, whereas the early sets wind me more. Is anyone else experiencing this when putting in higher yardage days?

I definitely need a lot of warmup. I tend to struggle with the first few repeats of the main set (especially if I don't swim a transition or pre-set first) but have learned not to get discouraged--usually my times get faster toward the end of the set and I feel a lot smoother.

On the other hand, some days I just plain suck.

jswim
June 8th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Gull and Aquageek,
yes, I absolutley feel that way as well. The first few sets usually have me more winded than the last. and I also feel much smoother and more efficient after about 2000 yds..

and yes.. many days I just can't seem to get a feel for the water.

sibleyclan
June 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I envy the lot of you!! I'm still working up to doing 2,000 in one workout. I've done it in a day with @1,500 in the morning and again in the afternoon but not yet in one session. I've only been at it for about a month & a half (missed 1 week sick, another for family vacation) so I figure I *might* get there consistantly by the end of the month.

Guvnah
June 8th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by sibleyclan
I envy the lot of you!! I'm still working up to doing 2,000 in one workout. I've done it in a day with @1,500 in the morning and again in the afternoon but not yet in one session. I've only been at it for about a month & a half (missed 1 week sick, another for family vacation) so I figure I *might* get there consistantly by the end of the month.

Don't push yourself.

I find if I try to increase distance or intensity too rapidly, I end up getting sick -- sometimes even flu-like symptoms. If I were you, my goal might be just to get to 2000 yards per workout by the end of the year. A guy I work with is training to get into triathlons. He's strong and fit, but not a big swimmer. At present he is happy to do 800-1000 yards after several months.

Ignore the 4000 yard people for now. Keep in mind that if you develop the capacity and endurance to do 2000 consistently, there will be others in the pool who will envy you, just as those who do 4000 yards regularly might envy the capabilities of people who do 6000 yards. There is always someone faster and stronger. For some people, you are that faster stronger one! Sometimes we fail to revel in the successes we have achieved.

sibleyclan
June 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Thanx Guvnah!

I intend to tell my daughters (twins) this evening that they are *my* heros. They just moved up to the senior group this week. They called me after practice this morning to tell me they had gone between 8,000 & 9,000 yds. this morning alone! This after they were scared of 3,000 (meters) for an open water swim this past weekend. The only way I got them to do that was challenge them - if they would, I would too (only I got to swim 800 instead of 3k).

As for *my* practice, I'm basically letting my body call the shots (I'm a firm believer of no pain = no pain. :D). I know I've been out of shape *way* too long to push it too far too fast. I'm just happy to be back in the water at 50!

SwiminONandON
June 8th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I think SOME pain is okay. Whenever I change my routine I'm sore ... For example, I just started lifting again this week after a few weeks off, I'm sore ... I'm also doing some doubles ... so I'm going to be sore ... but PAIN is different

Congrats to your daughters! Guvnah is right, I'm jealous they went that far this morning, I went over 6,000 total yesterday and was proud of that ... now 8,000 ... hmmm ... :rolleyes:

sibleyclan
June 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Congrats to your daughters! Guvnah is right, I'm jealous they went that far this morning, I went over 6,000 total yesterday and was proud of that ... now 8,000 ... hmmm ... :rolleyes:

Thanx! But then again, they're only 13 and believe me, they don't do it without complaint! They have to be there at 5:50 (AM!) and don't like getting up that early on summer vacation!! Every time they complain, I tell them they are free to quit. They go off to practice muttering & then come home feeling great. I'd like to know how they forget about the feeling great part by the next morning.:confused:

And Guvnah *is* right, be proud of your 6,000!! I'm not sure I'll have the dedication (or possibly even the desire!) to go for that at this stage. (Maybe after the six year old leaves the house?!? :D )

Tom Ellison
June 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Good advice here in this thread....Remember that it is ALL realtive!

Heck, when I was in shape at 50...five years ago....I swam Hell Day with my son's age group team with my Masters Team as well and the 4th of July Hell Day was 100 X 100 LCM Free on 1:45....

I made each 100 up too the 7500 to 7800 range and then swma them all together until 9500 when I held the 1:45 pace to the end...back then I was swimming 4000 to 7000 a day in two workouts....Today, I am blessed to make the 2000 I swim and I could not swim 100 X 100 if I had a boat...My point, it is all relative...

And sibleyclan, welcome back to swimming....

SwiminONandON
June 8th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Anyone that knows me really well would have bet against me ever getting up early to swim. But I love proving people wrong. It's not that bad. By the time I actually get to the pool at 5:45 I'm almost conscious.

I love those morning workouts, in some ways more than my night workouts ...

I'm going to see how much I can crank out Sunday ... hmm ...

100 x 100 ... that is seriously a goal of mine though I think 1:45 would be a bit rough. Ok, real rough after the first 20 or so ...

SwiminONandON
June 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Oh and going back to the whole relative thing ... my coach told me that my kick was week and I should work on it more ... ok, so I started doing a regular kick workout (which I need to get back to) anyway ... this same coach told me I was one of the best kickers on the team (doesn't say much for my team) but that I could improve a lot in my kick. I didn't believe him (in terms of being a good kicker) and he asked me to name 5 people that were better kickers than me I did. He said you know what all those people have in common? They have all been swimming their entire lives. You started less than a year ago.

(oh and that story was not meant to toot my own horn but ... toot)

sibleyclan
June 9th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
And sibleyclan, welcome back to swimming....

Thanx Tom! I'll keep the relative thing in mind.

TheGoodSmith
June 9th, 2005, 06:26 PM
People.... people.... people.......

Remember, this is just Masters Swimming. If you are going over 4,000 a day in the pool, you need to get out of the pool and go home to your family. Hell, if you don't have a family, then get out and go home to hold the remote control. Holy cow..... that's serious yardage

Rule of thumb: People who go more than 4,000 a day are usually under the age of 30 and swim USS.

Let's stay focused here. We are old and we drink beer.

John Smith

ande
June 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM
smut dog makes a very valid point

though he forgot to add
play pranks, tell stories, laugh till your belly hurts, and cuss

ande

PS sometimes I go more than 4,000 a practice but I'm just following orders. will that excuse work?

Originally posted by TheGoodSmith

Remember, this is just Masters Swimming. If you are going over 4,000 a day in the pool, you need to get out of the pool and go home to your family. Hell, if you don't have a family, then get out and go home to hold the remote control. Holy cow..... that's serious yardage

Rule of thumb: People who go more than 4,000 a day are usually under the age of 30 and swim USS.

John Smith

knelson
June 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Remember, this is just Masters Swimming. If you are going over 4,000 a day in the pool, you need to get out of the pool and go home to your family.

The fact you can swim that fast and never swim more than 4,000 per day make me even more confident YOU are the true Evil Smith!

On average I'd say I swim more than 5,000 yards in a practice about once per week. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on pool time constraints.

BillS
June 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM
My rough rule of thumb is to allow myself one beer per night for every 1000 meters swum that day. I have lots of little games I play with this rule -- extra credit for fly & back, credit for nights I somehow manage to not drink any beer etc. etc. etc. And of course weekends don't count!

I'm still losing fat after 6 months back in the pool, so my formula seems to be working, and I haven't had to go over 4,000 yet:D

aquageek
June 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I hope any portion of a 1000 is considered a 1000. Therefore, if I swim 2025 yards, I am allotted 3 beers? If I got a 200 fly anywhere in practice that should equate to a keg or two.

BillS
June 10th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I see I need to elaborate on my highly evolved theory.

(1) Always round up. 2025 = 3 beers. Hint: Save enough energy to do the last 25 fly and apply Rule 2 below for the third beer.

(2) Fly = 2 for 1 if the beers are lagers or pilsners, only 1.5 for 1 for ales, and 1.25 for 1 for stouts. "X Lite" (sic), or anything else that comes packaged in a 24 pack suitcase of cans, does not constitute beer, so don't ask.

(3) It's OK if you forget how many beers you had the night before. Just try harder to remember next time and swim an extra 25 in warmup as penance.

Warning: This theory was only developed after years of semi-professional beer guzzling. As said elsewhere, your mileage may vary. Considerably.

SwiminONandON
June 10th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Alright I just started swimming a year ago and can't swim USS b/c of the fact that I'm not really fast enough YET. Right now I'm having a blast doing doubles. I LOVE the people I swim with and have no boyfriend, no family of my own. All my friends have decided to get married so it leaves me all alone.

I also am not a big tv person. I get restless ...

Oh, and I do my fair share of drinking and sometimes more than my fair share.

sibleyclan
June 10th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Here's where being a neophyte pays off! I figure actually going to the pool earns a beer. (Old reward of just thinking about going has been replaced with beer rewarded for 25 fly.) Making into the water earns a second. I then go in increments of 500 (except for the aforementioned fly). I've only had a couple of practices where I didn't make 1,000 and I almost always manage at least 50 fly.

I also allow credits to carry over. As I rarely have more than one beer on weeknights, I've managed to build up a months worth of credits!!

Fly = 2 for 1 if the beers are lagers or pilsners, only 1.5 for 1 for ales, and 1.25 for 1 for stouts.

Looks like more opportunity for rounding as I hate to leave open bottles but do like ales & stouts!! :D

Guvnah
June 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM

We may be old, but speaking for myself, I am younger now doing 4300 than I was when I used to do only a mile a day. I have developed a better satisfaction with myself, both physically and emotionally, by achieving a goal of upping my daily yardage. And that reflects on the way I interact with others.

Will I continue to increase my yardage? Can't say. I'm doing an open water swim for the first time in my life this summer (August, in Ft. Collins -- I can pick you up on my way through Denver!), the weekend after my 47th birthday. Depending on how that experience goes for me, I may rest on my laurels and drop back to 3000 or so, or I may decide to reach for even more. And if it kills me, I will have died doing what I love. (My hope is to die making love to my wife, but being done in by swimming would be an adequate second choice.) :)

SwiminONandON
June 10th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
(My hope is to die making love to my wife, but being done in by swimming would be an adequate second choice.) :)

That perhaps might not be her first choice. Having some one die on you in that way would have to be traumatic.

Blue Horn
June 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I don't think I would want to do that to my wife either. Now if we both died at the same time, that would be a cool way to go. I couldn't imagine living without my wife. Good thing I am 6 years older and will likely kick the bucket first.

Hook'em
Blue

TheGoodSmith
June 10th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Dude,

First of all you want to die "Just After" making love to your wife, not during......

Secondly.... I may try an open water swim in Colorado this summer up at Horsethooth Reservoir, but I can assure you I won't be going over 4,000/day. That's for sure.

Thirdly, Ande Raz, if you are going over 4,000/ day you are flat our cheating. Nock it down to normal yardage for a henpecked husband with a huge mortgage, house payment and kids.

John Smith
"The Captain"

Tom Ellison
June 10th, 2005, 04:21 PM
"First of all you want to die "Just After" making love to your wife, not during......"

Gosh John, that depends on who a person is married too....
:p

newmastersswimmer
June 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Secondly.... I may try an open water swim in Colorado this summer up at Horsethooth Reservoir, but I can assure you I won't be going over 4,000/day. That's for sure. posted by goodsmith

Horsetooth rocks!! (pun intended!)....I once climbed to the top of Horsetooth Rock and leaped from one tooth to the next.....I need to vacation in Co again!!......I'm going to my first open water swim in Mo this weekend at this really cool lake 90 miles southwest of St. Louis (called Sunnen Lake...at the YMCA of the Ozarks Trout Lodge)....Anybody ever visited this place?....I've been perusing the website for the YMCA at the Ozarks Trout lodge (I think the web address is:

www.ymcaoftheozarks.org/ )??

newmastersswimmer

p.s. If you end up going....Good luck at the open water swim JS!...and also good luck to you as well Guvnuh...Keep up the yardage...it does make you younger!