PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in early pregnancy!

USMSarah
June 10th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Hello all. It's been a while since I posted anything here. I am pregnant for the first time! What a crazy time it has been so far! For about the past two months, I have been stuck to my bed- the morning sickness has been awful... I'm sick all day long. I had to quit my job too. However, yesterday was my first day in the second trimester!!! I'm beginning to feel better, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Some women can be sick the whole entire time!

Anyways, how have any of you swimmin' ladies dealt with being pregnant and still practice? I have not been in the water since mid April and I miss it. PLUS, the summer season has obviously started and my team is swimming outdoors in LCM! I can't wait to feel good again so I can get in the water!

Thanks!

Sarah:o

waves101
June 10th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Sarah - All women are different. Be sure to consult with your doctor before swimming while pregnant. Now that the disclosures are out of the way, swimming while pregnant is great exercise. My wife swam for several months during her first pregnancy and she was a high-risk patient. I also workout with someone who swam up to 8 months into her pregnancy. She maintained similar workout to the norm but did have to convert to open turns at the end. Let your body tell you when to take it easy and be sure to listen to it. Congrats and Good Luck.

scyfreestyler
June 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Congratulations on the pregnancy!! My wife had hyperemesis while carrying both of our children and wound up with TPN via PIC line for a few months during each pregnancy. Not fun at all but it sure was worth it. Hope you get to swim again soon.

USMSarah
June 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks, guys!

My OB was so excited to hear that I was a swimmer. She said to get back in the pool once I start feeling better. She said swimming is the best exercise a pregnant woman can do. I'm just really looking forward to feeling better... I know it will all be worth it come December.

Most likely, I won't compete - just want to stay in it to keep my body healthy and moving... and cool for the summertime! I'm craving the outdoor water with the sun sparkling off the bottom of the pool (along w/ my recent cravings of taco salads and peaches). Hmmmm.

I absolutely loved it that two guys responded to my post! Hee!

Take care - Sarah:D

Alicat
June 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Oh yes the memories of swimming while pregnant! The suits with those little skirts --think of it as drag. The incresed motion sickness from rotating in the strokes --try a bit more breast stroke. The sensitivity to smells -swimming outside helps. The flutter kicks the kiddo will do -that's awsome, OK maybe not at 11pm when your trying to sleep!;)

Congrats! Keept up the workouts, I swam until delivery --I just didn't look in any mirrors because of the idea of looking like a beached whale at 9+ months! :rolleyes:

Maryyyyyy
June 12th, 2005, 11:34 AM
USMSarah, congratulations on your pregnancy! And your desire to swim it through!!

I have a 16 year old boy. Unfortunately, when I was pregnant masters swimming hadn't caught on in a big way in Italy yet, and pregnant women were frowned upon in the pool. Also, my ex-husband is an MD, and he kept warning me against exercize!

Well, gosh, things have changed in Italy in terms of sports and women etc, and also, please note the word before husband and that was "ex".

Just one thing: many OBs are very positive about swimming during pregnancy, but they don't know the meaning of "flipturn" and "fly set for preparing for a 200 medley"....

Take it easy, and enjoy your pregnancy! it's a beautiful moment in our lives!!

Mary

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
congrats on being pregnant. Be sure to ask your doctor. I bet She/He will say yes. I have never experieincesd swimming pregnant but I've swam with an oestomy bag. It really threw off my balance. I wonder if swimmign pregnant does weird things ot your stroke?

lizzie
June 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Congratulations. I am 23 weeks and have been swimming in my regular lane (somewhat modified workouts - getting out to go to the bathroom and some breaks) for most of the pregnancy. I, too, had morning sickness (all day long sickness) and workouts really seemed to help even though it was very difficult to get to the pool when all I wanted to do was lie on the couch. Currently, I still swim three or four times a week about 10,000 yards total. This is down from about 14,000 pre-pregnancy. I competed in the CMSA championship meet at 15 weeks and I plan to do several open water events this summer - one when I will be 36 weeks.

Most people - doctors included- don't know much about competetive swimming and pregnancy and there is a whole lot of advice out there that is not helpful. Many people think that you cannot do flip turns or backstroke or swim interval sets. While this may be true for some women, it is not true for all. It is really up to you and what you can tolerate physically. Two bits of advice from someone who is going though this at the same time and has searched all over for good advice - 1) find a competent doctor who knows a lot about exercise and pregnancy and 2) find other swimmers with children and find out what they did. There are a lot of Masters swimmers out there that know from experience. Not that I am an expert, but I would be happy to talk with you more about this.

jdut
June 13th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Congrats on your new status- I, too had hyperemesis both of my pregnancies (blah) and found that swimming daily was the best thing I could do - for my brain, body, etc. I would wake up, throw up, swim 2500 slowly and rythmically, be able to eat, and then basically go downhill the rest of the day! Seriously, that time in the water was about the only time I did not throw up for 9 months x2 and it probably saved my sanity. Of course, you should check with your doc - my midwife/dr were pretty progressive, but you probably can help educate some of the healthcare people. My kids now love hearing about how while they were in my tummy they fell asleep while I was swimming , then about 5 minutes after I stopped swimming (got into the shower) they woke up kicking me like crazy!

Good luck- I'll never forget the feeling I had right after I had each baby - instant lack of nausea- it WILL end and it is so WORTH IT!