PDA

View Full Version : Teams in DC and Boston

aztimm
June 10th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Hello,

I'll be on the road for July 4th, and would like to get in at least a few workouts while I'm away. I work for an airline and will be taking advantage of my flight benefits to do some travel.

Will be in DC first, 6/30 to 7/1. Does anyone know of a team in the DC area that allows drop-ins? I'll be staying in Rockville, MD, right off of the metro line (RED). I won't have a car, so it would have to be a place near a metro stop. I'd love a 6 or 7am workout so I can still be a tourist for the day.

Also, will be in Boston from 7/1 to 7/5. It would be great if there was an open water swim going on then, but I couldn't find anything online. From what I saw, many teams don't allow drop-ins. I'll be staying in the Copley area, and again won't have a car. Anyone know of a team not too far from there or a T station that I can swim with? Again, early workouts are the best, but I'll take what I can get.

When I travel, I usually end up swimming on my own. But when you're used to swimming with a team and a coach telling you what to do, I usually end up feeling lost most of the time.

I have looked in the Places To Swim...but it is rather confusing. I was also surprised at the number of teams that don't allow drop-ins, doesn't seem very welcoming to me. Although we may be crowded at our workout here, we allow folks to drop in when they're in town.

Thanks for any info anyone has.

Tim

dvarner
June 10th, 2005, 06:03 PM
...I think they work out at Wilson High School some days, it's near the Tenleytown Metro on the Red Line.

Not sure about their hours, search the directory on this site and find a contact person.

Good Luck,

DV

tjrpatt
June 10th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for any info anyone has.

Go to pvmasters.org for teams in that area and look up the LMSC for Boston on usms.org. They should have the sites for those teams and most of the teams let people workout with the team if they are from out of town. DCAC does let visitors come and train with them.

Gosh, I used to go to American and I would never think that Wilson High had a pool there.

Swimmy
June 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Try googling Montgomery Aquatic Center. I don't know about masters workouts, but there are lap lanes available early morning, I think. It is in Rockville near White Flint Metro station.
Happy Swimming!
Swimmy :)

aztimm
June 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for all your replies so far. I would have never looked for swimming at a high school, and it looks like Tenleytown isn't too far (I'll be at the Twinbrook stop). I'll look some more this weekend.

If anyone is ever in the Phoenix area, we always allow drop-ins, and our pools are outside. In March we had some visitors from Boston who loved being able to swim outside.

Tim

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Wilson High School is a good pool. And very easy to get to. However my favorite pool in DC is Marie Reed. then after you swim fgo out to a restaurant inthe neighborhood, I lived in Adams Morgan for 10 years . Was the best time of my life. But also htis time of year go to the outdoor pool at Key Jr. High.

There use to be an old man who swam at wilson inthe side pool. when Adam was a little boy (4 to 5 yrs old). this was in the late 80's. He would play in the swallow side pool. that man was always there. After awhile I started to wonder if th e man was a prevert. When we woudl leave to go shower, the guy would follow us ion to th eshowers and watch us.

Wilson High was the first fullly integrated high school in DC. I knew a guy who was inits first graduation class. He was one of the partners in my friends restaurant in Adams Morgan, the Belmont Kitchen. Adam was the first sophmore to play varsity football there. He was also the only white kid onthe team! It was great.

Swimmy
June 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
The MAC pool is very close to Twinbrook and I think that is your best bet. You can take a bus or Metro to it.
Swimmy :)

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 11th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Really try ot get to the pool at Key Jr. High. It is down on the edge of rock Creel. It is outside. when i would go, I woud run through Rock Creek either from where I lived in Adams Morgan or then from AU Glover park. It is so cool to run through the west side of the park & emerge from the trees. People always looked at me as if I were the weirdest. The Pool is down in the norhtern end of Foogy Bottom. I I really don't know what neighborhood people call it, maybe DuPont Circle West or I've heard it referred ot as East Georgetown ( That is its crazy name).

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Also, If youare going to be in DC onthe 4th go to see the fireworks on the mall. the summer after the First Gulf War, they were the coolest I've ever seen. It is so wonderful to be sitting on the Mall with so many peolpe from all over the world enjoying indepence.

pettijohn
June 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM
The masters team Ancient Mariners practice at the Montgomery Aquatic Center (MAC) during the spring, winter and fall. MAC is in Rockville within walking distance to the White Flint Metro station. When you are visiting we are swimming out doors at a long course pool in Bethesda not on a subway line. Practice times 8:15 -9:45 pm Tuesday and Thurday and 8:00-10:00 am Sunday.

seltzer
June 13th, 2005, 09:30 AM
There are some programs in the Boston area that will accomodate drop-ins if you contact them in advance.

Go to: swimnem.org and select places to swim inside Route 128.

Cambridge Masters (must contact in advance)
Liquid Asset Masters (website on NEM page)
Simmons Masters (email contact on website)

You might also inquire about the "informal" trips to Walden Pond organized by some CMSC swimmers. They leave not far from the Harvard Pool and car pool out to Walden in near-by Concord MA. The water temp is quite nice, in contrast to the ocean.

Note all three Boston area programs are accesssible via the T.

Good luck

nkace
June 13th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Well my team, Liquid Assets swims at Northeastern which is right on the green line & not too far from Copley either. I think they are very accommodating as well.