PDA

View Full Version : What are your pool conditions?

delwebber
June 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM
First of all, I'm a new "masters" browser here and I enjoy reading all your humorous and informative posts. I recently started swimming low speed laps by myself and enjoy the nonimpact fitness I'm slowly attaining (started with the near death 1 lap swim, now a 500 free + broken up 200 IM + [don't laugh] under water laps).

I'd like to know what kind of conditons other people swim in? Do you consider your pool setup to be good, fair, poor? My pool situation is as follows: I live in a gated community which has a 25 yard L-shaped pool. It's about 1/4mi away from my house. There are 2 lanes with lane lines open at all times to one side of the pool. Pool is about 9 months old with no starting blocks or flags. Rules are no diving allowed, no lifeguard on duty, no shampoo in the outdoor shower (what?). I usually drive my golf cart over to check for open lanes pretty much any time of day from 8am to 8pm. Open lane bliss can usually be found around 6pm each evening. The noodles floating around at this time often get smacked around by big lap waves since I'm rather tall. I've never had to share a lane with another lap swimmer (which is probably a good thing cause I think I would fail play nice with the other lap swimmers). The temperature of our pool is warm. Weather is warm for 9 months and dips to the 50s in winter. Lightning closes our pool daily in summer. An occasional car or lawn mower will blow in to the pool area sometimes making it impossible to swim, but nothing too bad overall. I think I'm fairly if not extremely fortunate to have such a set up as this, although I'm curious what others have to endure or relish at other pools. What are some of the pools like that you swim/train at?

Scansy
June 12th, 2005, 10:05 PM
My pool is indoors at the Y. It is actually better than a lot of the Y's I have seen/heard about. Temperature is kept at 82F. Not great, but not bad. I would love it to be at 78F. I share a lane about 30% of the time, but never (OK, maybe once a year) have to circle swim. The space has vaulted ceilings and windows along one wall. It is well ventilated and I don't have to deal with the chlorine issues in the air. Overall, a good pool (25 yards).

But the locker rooms.....:(

laineybug
June 12th, 2005, 10:07 PM
You sound very lucky. The pool where I swim is about 3 blocks from my office and about a mile, maybe, from where I live. It is an indoor Y pool that is kept extremely clean, crystal clear and on the warmish side but I've never seen it above 82; 25 meters, 6 lanes w/blocks, 12 feet to 4 feet; three lanes reserved for lap swimmers.

But I have to ask what kinda winds y'all have where you live that

"An occasional car or lawn mower will blow in to the pool area sometimes making it impossible to swim"

aquageek
June 13th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Two questions:

Who closes your pool during lightning if you have no guards?

Why wouldn't you play nice with other lap swimmers?

waves101
June 13th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Depending on the time of year, I utilize two different pools for training. During the winter months I'm in the preferred pool at my old high school. Its a brand new 25 yard, 8 lane pool kept at 80 degrees (which to me is a perfect workout temp). It's L-shaped with the diving well in the bottom of the L. It's 7 feet deep at the shallowest and has about 25 foot ceilings. Airflow is excellent. It's about 5 miles from my house. In the summer months, I'm at the local Y. It's about 15 miles from the house and is an older standard 6 lane, 25 yard pool. The water temp is usually about 85. All the lap swimmers constantly plead for lower temps but we never get anywhere. The air temp is usually worse. Overall, its a nice facility but is definitely gauged more for the recreational swimmers and/or aquatic walkers. I count myself as being lucky to have these 2 pools within 20 mins. of the house.

etrain
June 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Right now I have 2 pools, in the morning I swim outdoors in a 6 lane 25 yarder. The water is probably 80-82 with a depth of about 3.5-5 ft depending on where you are at. It only has 2 lane lines so it can get a few waves going on fly!!!

The other pool I swim at in the evening is indoors, no windows, 8 lanes, 25 yards, 3-15 ft in depth with all lanes line, but they don't help much. The lane lines are really old and most sag in the middle. This pool can be turned into a 6 laner by 25 meters, but is hardly ever is:(

etrain

sibleyclan
June 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Welcome Delwebber! I just started about a month and a half ago -- slow laps as well after some advice here when I was having to stop after 100 yds. Now up to 1,000-1,500 free/breast/back (if I pace it right) with a bit left for a couple lengths of fly at the end. I swim at an indoor, 8 lane 25 yd pool that's kept about 81 degrees. I usually swim in the afternoon when the age groupers are practicing and rarely have to share a lane (unless it's with my six year old - getting him ready for a meet in two weeks & start with the team in September). Right now practice time there is scarce as they are running their summer swim school.

kernow
June 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I currently swim in an outdoor 8 lane 25yd pool, with a team.

The water temp. averages between 80-82 depending upon the weather.

I also have access to another short-course pool which I hardly ever use, sadly. I usually have the entire pool to myself, when I go! :)

When I feel brave, I swim in the ocean.

peace...

aztimm
June 13th, 2005, 04:12 PM
When I swim in the mornings (99% of the time), with my team, we're in an outside about 75m pool, that is divided twice with bulkheads, making 3 25-yard swimming areas, 8 lanes each. The team gets an end area, with starting blocks. The pool edge goes into a gutter, so I guess you can say it is non-turbulent.

The temperature varies considerably throughout the year, from the mid-70s to mid-80s. There are times in the summer when the air temperature just doesn't get below 90, and the water takes a hit. When the heater first shuts off and turns on in the spring/fall it is quite a shock, but you adjust after about a week.

The main downside is that we turn into a bulkhead, and the bulkhead has pegs or something sticking out. If you don't know what you're doing, you can really poke your foot.

We usually have 2 coaches on deck, and the facility provides lifeguards, who are usually over ambitious about lightning or other events.

Alex
June 13th, 2005, 05:01 PM
The pool I practice in is part of a Tennis Club where many other Sports are included, as Swimming, basket ball, soccer, voley ball, weight lifting, tai-chi, karate, spinning, etc.

This Club is about 5 minutes away from my home, so I practice in the morning from 6 to 7 AM before going to work, and I usually have a line for myself. The Club has 5 different facilities and four of them are within 10 minutes from my house although you can only enter the one you are member of. We pay about 250 USD per month for a family membership.

We have an outdoor Olympic pool (50 meters long) with an L shape; in the bottom of the "L", the pool has 25 meters wide, the rest of the pool has 25 yards wide.

40 % of the time the pool is set as a 50 meter long line pool (with 4 or 5 out of 8 possible lines for lap swimmers) and the other 60 % of the time it is set as a 25 meters lap pool (6 lines for lap swimmers the rest is free for non-lap swimmers). The pool goes from 3 1/2 feet deep to 10 feet

The water temperature is around 81 degrees most of the times and they keep it preatty clean.

Last week I was the first one to get in the pool, even before our coach arrived, and after two minutes of warming up it started to rain, it was beautifull as it was still dark and the rain drops looked great from down the water with the light of the pool and as I stopped to watch, there was not other movement as being the only one there.

Alex

:p

jean sterling
June 13th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I swim in a 50 meter bath tub. The temperature, especially in the summer, is almost always to warm. "They" could cool it down in the summer by aerating it at night, but they hardly ever do. In my pool, water exercisers (noodlers) rule. Sigh.

Donna
June 13th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I swim in the evenings at the Chatham Aquatic Center in Savannah (host of last years long coarse nationals). It is so hot I can barely breath, but once I get in the water which is currently about 80-82 I can tolerate it. Atleast there is hope, next year they are replacing the dome with a normal roof. Yeah!!!!

partyhat
June 13th, 2005, 10:53 PM
The pool facility (http://www.biparks.org/pool/pool_facility.html) at my home is nice. It's got two pools. I call them the Serious and the Not-Serious pools. Both indoor.

The Serious pool is for lap swimming only. 6 lanes, 25yd, 83degrees, and crystal clear (i found out that is due to the ozone filter, or something like that). I wish the pool were kept cooler. I get so hot swimming, especially now that it is summer.

The Not-Serious pool is for not-swimming. It's fun, especially when it's not crowded.

15 minutes away from me. Very nice, clean locker rooms/showers.

The Pool at School (heh) is 50yd (or meter, im not sure. fifty something or other), 8 lanes, very serious, and outdoors and hot (the weather, not the pool). It's open to all students, but the people who swim there are hardcore swimmers, and they intimidate me, so I would swim in the ocean (salty, infinite, 77 degrees, a wee bit choppy) instead.

-partyhat

Alex
June 14th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by partyhat
The pool facility (http://www.biparks.org/pool/pool_facility.html) at my home is nice. It's got two pools. I call them the Serious and the Not-Serious pools. Both indoor.

-partyhat

I did check the link that you post and in dead it is a nice facility, but can you tell me what is the Water Slide thing for?

Alex;)

Canadian Triathlete
June 15th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I'm lucky enough to have some great pool facilities in my city.

We have Brock University which has an Olympic size swimming pool which is kept absolutley immaculate.

We also have a massive new gym that opened up with two pools inside. One for fun swimming and one dedicated completely to lane swimming 24/7!

It doesn't get much better than that :)

I wish I had one of those endless pools though!

pmbchill
June 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
We have a 4 lane crowded Y pool that is open for lap swim from 5:45-7am, 12-1:15pm and 5:15-6:15pm. Water temp 85, ugh! I usually share a lane and try to get in early. For the summer months we have a beautiful 50m pool that I swim in every morning before 11 when it opens. No lane lines and as usual, no local swim team so I swim by myself. Water temp around 79. Beautiful!

Guvnah
June 20th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I live in Colorado Springs. Within the city, everything is within 30 minutes (or less) of anywhere else. We have at least 4 YMCAs. They seem to be building them as fast as Wal-Marts. (We have at least 4 of them too!) :)

So wherever my daily travels in town take me, there will be a YMCA out that way. The one I use most is sort of in the center of the area. Lately they had been making an effort to keep the lap pool a bit cooler (low 80s, most often 83.) But it seems that with the onset of summer (and therefore summer swimming lessons for kids out of school) they have cranked the temp up to 85-86. It seems that the other YMCA facilities in town tend to follow similar temperature maintenance.

All the facilities have 25 yard pools. All but one have 6 lanes. (One has 4 lanes. I wonder why they even bothered to spend the money for that one...) Some of the facilities are older, some almost brand new. I've traveled the country and used my "AWAY" YMCA membership in dozens of pools. In general the Colorado Springs pools all rate better than average. I can't complain.