PDA

View Full Version : Suncreen strategy for LONG races

Leonard Jansen
June 13th, 2005, 09:33 AM
In getting ready for the MIMS race, I began to wonder what others have done WRT sunscreen for long races. I've used Bullfrog for races up to about 4 hours, but since MIMS is about twice that, I wondered if trying to reapply it on face/neck/shoulders/arms (by myself, since being touched by crew is a DQ offense) while in the water is possible/desirable. My #$&%^#@ skin burns fairly easily, so keeping protected as best I can is important.

Rob/George/anyone?

-LBJ

Kevin in MD
June 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Didn't work the best, but it worked. I also reapplied bodyglie during the swim.

Rob Copeland
June 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Iíve never tried to reapply sun screen during a race. Iíll typically apply 2 good coats before the race and so far I have not had major problems with burning. My first year at Tampa I missed a couple of spots and had some lovely red spots, but that was just me not following necessary preparations.

I guess you can always try to reapply, it just seems like your skin wouldnít be able to absorb the lotion when itís waterlogged. If you do burn easily you may want to check with a pharmacist or dermatologist, they may have some suggestions and heavy duty lotions.

Leonard Jansen
June 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
Iíve never tried to reapply sun screen during a race. Iíll typically apply 2 good coats before the race and so far I have not had major problems with burning. My first year at Tampa I missed a couple of spots and had some lovely red spots, but that was just me not following necessary preparations.

I guess you can always try to reapply, it just seems like your skin wouldnít be able to absorb the lotion when itís waterlogged. If you do burn easily you may want to check with a pharmacist or dermatologist, they may have some suggestions and heavy duty lotions.

Rob -

What sunscreen did you use and how long did you wait between applications of the two coats?

Yes, I am trying to get into see a dermatologist that I am aquainted with who is also a pretty good swimmer (1:45 for the Chesapeake bay swim a few years ago.)

Thanks,
LBJ

2go+h20
June 13th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I use a product by Banana Boat called Aqua Sheild. SPF 30, but is really good at blocking the rays, and it stays on for hours (8 for my 26.2km swim) I don't need to reapply it. I also use zinc on my face. If you can find brown that's the best otherwise you look a bit like a hallloween mask. Still better that than a cracked red and peeling face, which turns into deep 'character creases'.
There are also SPF50 waterproof screens that I use in the beginning of the season, and progress to the 30 once I have a base tan going.
I use bodyglide but not as a screen, rather to stop the friction burns from my suit. Love that stuff!
Happy Training.
Kiwi

Rob Copeland
June 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
Rob -

What sunscreen did you use and how long did you wait between applications of the two coats?

LBJ
I usually use Bullfrog (Banana Boat is very good as well) and what I try to do is apply a layer before I warm up and then reapply just before the race, right before greasing up. In the MIMS, you really canít get in to warm-up (unless this has changed). In this case, Iíd wait about 30 minutes between first and second coats and make sure you get a good coating on you back.