PDA

View Full Version : Last month Anthony Ervin sold his Olympic gold medal in an auction on eBay

ande
June 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM
here's something we haven't talked about

No regrets for athlete who sold gold medal

Last month Anthony Ervin sold his Olympic gold medal in an auction on eBay. He won in five years ago in Sydney, tying his teammate and friend Gary Hall for first in the 50-meter freestyle.
A man in the Philippines bought it, bidding $17,100
more details on:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=olympic+gold+medal+anthony+ervin

Tom Ellison
June 14th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I hate reading junk like this....That is SAD!

ande
June 14th, 2005, 05:50 PM
really read the article
Erwin made a noble gesture

ande

Originally posted by Tom Ellison

hooked-on-swimming
June 14th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison

SAD??????????That was a very very very noble thing to do, he tried to give a helping hand to the tsunami victims, how is that sad?I give my respect to Anthony Ervin!!!

valhallan
June 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
It was a noble thing to do.

I think what is really sad is the amount of money Hollywood actors get paid per film.... And here's a regular guy, making an extreme sacrifice, for what would essentially amount to be lunch money for the rich and famous.

Hopefully his actions will be contageous.

Larry
June 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM
No doubt, an extremely noble gesture by Anthony Ervin, and an example of class and dignity by a tremendous athlete (I suspect the other guy that won the gold medal in the 100 - I can't remember his name but he seems to be subject of heavy traffic on another thread - could learn a lot from hanging out with Anthony). I hope as the years go by, however, that he doesn't regret selling his medal. I know, for example that 30 years after they got cheated out of the gold and refused to accept the silver, that some members of the 1972 Olympic basketball team now wish that they had their medals. I also think that the Ervin's gold medal means a tremendous amount to our sport and could encourage athletes to strive for excellance in swimming regardless of ethnic background. Hopefully the new owner will find a way to promote Ervin's accomplishment.
Cheers, Anthony, for a class act!

fatboy
June 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM
What a class act. That's a great story!

tjrpatt
June 14th, 2005, 10:02 PM
it shouldn't have gotten that much because it wasn't even a solo gold medal in the 50 free. Whoever paid that much for a tied Olympic gold must have money to burn.

Isn't he doing this for charity????

Tom Ellison
June 15th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I 100 % agree this was an extremely noble gesture by Anthony Ervin....and to be commended! When I posted that I thought it was sad, what I meant is …..it is sad in the sense that he had no other avenue or means to draw from to provide money for that effort and heart felt giving.

Valhallan said it best...."And here's a regular guy, making an extreme sacrifice, for what would essentially amount to be lunch money for the rich and famous." In that sense that is what makes this sad.....that he had to give up something so treasured, that he worked so hard for, and took years and years of hard work to achieve. By no means do I fault this wonderful gesture of giving….For Anthony’s sake, I only wish he had other means to draw from…

Leonard Jansen
June 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Before he sold his medal he was "just" an Olympic Champion. Now he's a Champion - no qualifications.

What a class act.

-LBJ

Sonic Swimmer78
June 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I think that's probably the most selfless thing I've ever seen. I'm not sure I'd do the same. :lookaround: