PDA

View Full Version : Pieter Cath, 1931-2005

ALM
June 14th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Pieter Cath, the Chairman of the USMS Records and Tabulation Committee, passed away last Friday.

(From http://www.legacy.com/Cleveland/LegacyHome.asp, then search on "Cath")

PIETER G. CATH, age 74. Beloved partner of Caroline "Lilly" Kron; treasured father of Judith (David) Gemperline, Anne, and Simke (Lucy) with Johanna T. Cath-Morijn; loving grandfather of Johanna, Mary and Leonard; brother of Dick (deceased) and Hiltje. He will be missed by his family, friends, and fellow swimmers. Family will receive friends at the Solon Community Center, 35000 Portz Pkwy., THURSDAY 4-9 P.M. Donations may be made, in his memory, to the Salvation Army. Published in The Plain Dealer on 6/14/2005

osterber
June 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM
What horrible news. Rest in peace.

Direct link to the legacy.com page:

http://www.legacy.com/Cleveland/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=14258112

-Rick

Frank Thompson
June 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I was very sad to hear of the news about Pieter's passing. I will always think of him as a great person and a great volunteer. The service he did for the Lake Erie LMSC, especially running the meets was outstanding. I as a coach and swimmer went to a lot of the local meets in his LMSC and I cannot think of a time that he was not responsible for running and working the meet. In fact I went to meets as part of Michigan Masters at least twice a year and I never remember a time that he was not at the meet working diligently to make it a success.

I remember I used to see him do just about everything regarding the meet set up with the electronic equipment. I got to know Pieter well thru the years and knew he had a PHD in math or electronics. I know he directeed Engineering Groups at Ohio Nuclear and General Electric and held 14 patents. He was an excellent Meet Director and Manager of Data Bases and USMS was right on when he was appointed to take Walt Reid's place when Walt became the FINA World Top Ten Chair.

I know everyone in the Lake Erie LMSC knew who Pieter was and appreciated what he did for USMS. He will be greatly missed by everyone who was associated with him. Its people like him that make masters swimming better for everyone to enjoy. His contributions will never be forgotten.