PDA

View Full Version : need drills for practicing back-breast turn

RayT
June 15th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Hi all,

Could someone please share with some drills for practicing rollover turn on your side for backstroke-breaststroke?

Thank you very much.

ande
June 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM
you just need to do a lot of turns and get comfortable with the one you prefer.

I suggest you start in the middle of the pool swim backstroke to the wall and do a back to breast turn with an underwater pull out then stop in the middle of the pool and rest a little then do another one.
practice turning on each arm,
for some reason back to breast turns feel better/faster from my left arm than my right.

try the bucket turn and the flip over turn
I prefer and do the flip over turn.

Do many slow turns to get used to them
then speed up till you're doing a few at race pace.

get timed from the flags to the flags
in and out of a turn
try different kinds of turns to find which turn is fastest for you

the flip is fastest for me
but sometimes it's good to get a big breath from an open turn

also flip the turns in regular training
try to do the turn with someone beside you and gauge where you are versus them when you come off the turn.
try to go in even and come out ahead.

good luck

ande

Originally posted by RayT
Hi all,

Could someone please share with some drills for practicing rollover turn on your side for backstroke-breaststroke?

Thank you very much.

SwiminONandON
June 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I do a flip turn on 100IMs and 200IMs and on 400IMs it depends on how much oxygen I've got in my lungs. The flip is A LOT faster for me.

Basically you just gotta practice and do it. I do better on my right arm.

RayT
June 16th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Thanks, Ande.

I am sorry that I did not make myself clearly. I may also need some 'description' on HOW to do a correct and qualified back-breast turn. Or if there is a video-clip that I could download??

And, besides open turn, how many kinds of back-breast turn are there??

Thank you for your clarification.

LindsayNB
June 16th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Go to swim.ee and look under the IM videos, they show the back to breast turn.

RayT
June 23rd, 2005, 04:24 AM
Thanks, LindsayNB.

Could someone please advise me of some step-by-step drills to practice back-breast turn?

Thank you very much.

RayT
June 27th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Hi, could anyone share some step-by-step drill to learn 'crossover' turn for back-breast?

Please..................

scooter
June 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I hope this is what you need to know:

While on my back, left arm goes straight out over my head. I cross my right arm at an angle over my chest, and at the same time, roll my body over to my stomach. I finish pulling the stroke, with enough momentum to flip at the wall.

Jeff Commings
June 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Rob, they're looking for a back to breast turn. It seems to me that yo demonstrated a backstroke turn.

This is best I can do to explain the turn:

At the flags, count the number of strokes you would take to touch the wall. If you'll touch with your right hand, turn your head back and to the left (slight homage to "JFK"). Your right arm will recover and go behind your head and reach for the wall while your body is rotating to the left. If you put your right arm in front of your head, chances are good that you'll over-rotate and be disqualified.

Once your hand hits the wall, continue rotating your body towards the left side while flipping over as you would for a freestyle or backstroke turn. That means you will flip and your feet will point slightly upwards. The hand that touched the wall should recover close to the surface or over it, while the other arm sneaks forward underneath your body.

This is quite difficult to explain verbally. I learned by watching my teammates in college and IM competitors. And I taught some of my age groupers by getting in the water and showing them. They learned quicker that way than me showing them on deck.

I must warn you: Doing the turn takes A LOT of energy. You will need to have a good amount of lung capacity because you'll be underwater for at least five seconds from the time you look back to the wall to the time you surface from the pullout. It's true that the turn is faster than the open turn. But if you can't stay underwater through the pullout, then you've lost the advantage.

My recommendation is to not do the turn in the 400 IM. And to practice the turn EVERY TIME YOU DO A BACK TO BREAST TURN. Practice makes perfect. It took me six months to have the confidence to do in in a meet. Not just for the breath control, but to assure I wouldn't get disqualified.

Which brings up another point. There have been officials who have never seen the rollover turn before I did it in a meet, and they were confused and initially DQ'd me because it was different. I wondered if they had ever watched an elite swimmer race the IM before? Three of the top four finishers in the 200 IM did the turn in Athens. So at local meets you might want to be a little conservative on the rollover. Don't worry about it at nationals, though, because those officials have seen it before and know how far is too far before you're on your stomach.

Good luck!!!!

RayT
June 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Thank you very much, Jeff Comming, Scooter.

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Also, look into Swimming Fastest. I wrote down the pagesbut now I can't find the piece of paper. I know he does a whole section on all three back/breast turns.

RayT
July 1st, 2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks, craiglll@yahoo.com. Swimming Fastest? Do you mean...

http://www.swim2000.com/product.php?pd_id=B2003-1

Pls confirm. Thank you.

RayT
November 16th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Hi all, I have got video clips of back-breast rollover turn. And I just cannot do it. Do you have drills of step-by-step then I can learn it step-by-step.

Btw, while you touch the wall on your back, then you turn to you side, your head down all the way towards the bottom of the pool as you are doing a flip turn…

So what is origin of power to turn on you side??

Please share your expertise…. Thank you very much.

poolraat
November 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
There have been officials who have never seen the rollover turn before I did it in a meet, and they were confused and initially DQ'd me because it was different. I wondered if they had ever watched an elite swimmer race the IM before?

Jeff
I've seen officials get confused by seeing something they have never seen before, too. I officiate age group meets and I've always taken the attitude that if I have to ask myself "was that legal?" then it is a no call because an official must be certain of the rule before calling a DQ.