PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the most out of limited time?

benair
June 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Greetings,

I just read the post initiated by Matthias and got a lot out of it. so that answered some of my questions relating to the breaststroke aspect of my training, but my question is directed more at overall conditioning with limited time.

I'm 3 years into Masters (M 40-44). and at one point I was working out with the team and logging 4,000 + a day. Now, (numerous months later) my schedule, job, kids, etc. dictates that I only get an average of 45 min- 1hr in the pool each day (but I do get in 5 days a week).

200 breast is my best event so that is my focus, but I'm trying to increase my conditioning with Free sets. (I just attended a meet this weekend and or course I'm slipping. so I was less than pleased.)

I've been reading articles online about Aerobic and Anaerobic training and it's difficult to tailor something just for me. I'm just trying to get a better handle on what my approach should be given my schedule (and being self-coached).

Any suggestions on how my weekly schedule M-F should be laid-out.

% Free vs % Breast ?

Mix aerobic/anaerobic 80% 20% in the same w/o and then flip-flop the next day ?

Alternate days...all aerobic one day all anaerobic the next?

(sample w/o's or links would be welcome as well).

Thanks in advance!

Bob B

etrain
June 21st, 2005, 09:47 AM
In college on mondays, wenesdays, and fridays we would do sri's (short rest intervals) anywhere between 50-300 yards at a time. An example set would be 10x100 on 1:08. You were only suppose to have no more than 5 seconds rest. Then on tuesdays and thursdays we would do stuff off the blocks, fast!!! We would do something like a 200 off the blocks, 100 easy, 100 off the blocks, 100 easy and do that 4 times. Needless to say I got in great shape and also very tired.

I don't think I could do that nowadays, so listen to your body. If you need a day of rest then take it easy and do some longer sets with more rest. If you are feeling good, then try some things with shorter rest...

etrain

benair
June 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM
Thank you for the info Erik!

(I was wondering if I was going to get anyone to respond there).

At first glance, it looked like both sets were just fast!!! I do see that your T-Th sets are fast, but... the difference is MORE REST. That does support what I was reading in those articles, gives me a "real world" example to apply it to and answers my question of alternating days. (That 10x100's set sounds like a killer... I'll adjust that and still use the 5 sec rest )

The bottom line for me is I don't have much of a choice but to focus on Quality not Quantity...

I'll give it try!.

THANKS!

etrain
June 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM
Sorry, I looked at that set after I had posted it. Most likely you will want to start with 5 and then work up to 8 and then 10. Right now I could probably make them on the 1:10, and possible do 5 on the 1:07. We would usually do 10x100 then something inbetween and then 10x100 again. The second set would usually be IM for me since I was the distance IM'er. I could usually hold the 100 IM's around the 1:15 mark leaving on the 1:20. As you can tell, I was in much better shape back then... I don't think I would make 3 on the 1:20 with out killing myself.

Go ahead and change then times so you are getting about 5 seconds rest and try not to fall apart in the set. If you can only do 4 then do 4 and try for 5 then next week or something like that...

etrain

benair
June 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Got it,

Yeah, I knew after reading your first post that I would have to adjust those times a little more to my pace. That does help me to put it into some sort of structure and build on it ("5 seconds rest and try not to fall apart in the set.")

When I was working out with the group before, we did a lot of varying sets, but I was basically just "doing what I was told" without putting any thought into why. Now that I'm on my own I'm wishing I was more of a student of the game and had learned more about why we did certain things on certain days etc.

Thanks once again! I will definately use what you've shared with me.