PDA

View Full Version : Swim with The Stars

ande
June 22nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
Would any one be interested in having a swim-with-the-stars camp experience for masters/ adult swimmers?
like:

http://www.swimwiththestars.com/

Which elite swimmers would you like to be there?

How many days should it be?

Where?

Which coaches?

I don't know about any firm events,
I'm just curious

Ande

gull
June 22nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
Great idea. Probably a long weekend would work best, preferably here in New Bern (we have a brand new outdoor eight lane/25 yard pool). Saturday night social event could be held at our house. Definitely need to include Kaitlin Sandeno and Natalie Coughlin (because of their accomplishments of course). As for coaches, how about Richard Quick, Mike Bottom, David Marsh, Eddie Reese--the list goes on. Seriously, that would a lot of fun. Count me in.

EyeoreSAM
June 22nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Most definately!!! There isn't enough of this stuff for masters (especially here). I know that there are a few on our team that would be interested too!! The only person that I would have a preference to attend would be Matt Biondi (my personal fave!)

Rob Copeland
June 22nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
The first Swim-with-the-stars camp was held last week at Emory University in Atlanta. I wasnít able to attend, but I heard some really good things about the camp.

If you are interested in organizing a Swim-with-the-stars camp in your area, Iíd suggest you contact Sean Foley of Octagon, Inc. at sean.foley@octagon.com

SwiminONandON
June 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Janet Evans, Rowdy Gaines ... some of the old timers that aren't actually factually training anymore ... Summer Sanders, Biondi ... Mary T. .. really just about anyone ... that would be awesome ...

Seagurl51
June 22nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
If you made a camp like that for master's that would be amazing!! I would absolutely go to it!!

I would say have it in several different places...scattered so that everybody can find one close (but definately put one in Texas or Idaho depending on when you do it)

Hold it over a weekend...maybe a Friday, Saturday, Sunday because for some reasons our bosses dont' understand the need to go to these things.

As for who should be there, I agree with everyone everybody has said. I think Bob Bowman would be a great coach to have there also....and of course his star pupil. Some of the older (no offense) swimmers I would love to get advice from like Janet Evans, Mark Spitz etc. That would be awesome to hear what they had to say and how the sport has changed.

That would be soo awesome if something like that could be pulled together!!!!

scyfreestyler
June 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Natalie and Kaitlin for sure. To keep my wife happy Michael Phelps would have to make an appearance.

I am going to the Santa Clara Invitational this Saturday so I am hoping there will be an opportunity to meet Natalie and maybe even get a picture.:D

SwiminONandON
June 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Natalie, Aaron Peirsol, Michael Phelps, and Brendan Hansen hosted a chat with the stars today (or will) ... Natalie seems very sweet and approachable. She is adorable ...

If you go and can get some pics of some of the males (Peirsol in particular) please feel free to click away and send them to me ... I'll pay you for your efforts!

SwiminONandON
June 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
By the way I can't believe all the guys aren't going Amanda, Amanda, Amanda ...

scyfreestyler
June 23rd, 2005, 05:42 PM
Make no mistake, I think Amanda is a knockout. However, I just find Natalie to be more attractive in the pool and out. I also have a tremendous amount of respect for her ability to drop below the 1:00.00 100 backstroke mark. She seems like a real class act and I think people should focus at least as much attention on her as they do on Phelps. I'll be cheering her on for sure this weekend.:cool:

scyfreestyler
June 23rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
As for pictures of the males, I am quite certain that my wife will be quite the shutterbug when the men walk on deck. I will be sure to post some pictures when we return.

Seagurl51
June 23rd, 2005, 08:07 PM
I was soo jealous that you were going to the meet this weekend, 330man...and I still am....but since you're going to share pics I guess I can forgive you. :) Take some of Phelps for me!!!

Heather--SAGNA!

scyfreestyler
June 23rd, 2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
I was soo jealous that you were going to the meet this weekend, 330man...and I still am....but since you're going to share pics I guess I can forgive you. :) Take some of Phelps for me!!!

Heather--SAGNA! Kyra, I will most certainly share any pictures I take with you guys on this forum. What do you suppose the chances are that I will have the opportunity to actually meet some of these people? I have never been to an event like this so I don't know how out in the open the athletes tend to make themselves.

Sparky
June 23rd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Just don't offer Phelps a beer.

:)

Seagurl51
June 24th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by 330man
Kyra, I will most certainly share any pictures I take with you guys on this forum. What do you suppose the chances are that I will have the opportunity to actually meet some of these people? I have never been to an event like this so I don't know how out in the open the athletes tend to make themselves.

That's hard to say how open they will be. I bet if you lean over the railing in like a warm-up area or something you'd have a shot at meeting some. As for doing more than getting an autograph...no idea. Have fun!!! Ask Ande, he'll probably know...or at least be able to make up an answer that sounds good. ;)

SwiminONandON
June 24th, 2005, 10:04 AM
At world trials all the swimmers I saw were more than willing to give out autographs and say hi. Just make sure you aren't trying to flag down someone right before their event or when they are talking to their coach (DUH) and I bet you can get some autographs, give Aaron my love! ;)

nkace
June 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
So what's the tour all about? I may have to go back home to LI to check them out.:D

scyfreestyler
June 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Well, it doesn't look like there will be any pictures this weekend. My sister went into labor this AM so we never left for the meet and it doesn't look like we can find a sitter for tomorrow. On the bright side, the baby and the mother are healthy and doing just fine.

Seagurl51
June 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Congrats on the new baby!!! Glad to hear everyone is doing well!!

Rob Copeland
April 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
It looks like the Swim With the Starís folks are back. And this time they are conducting Masters swimming clinics.

According to Josh Ilika and their web site, www.swimwiththestars.com Michael Phelps , Lenny Krayzelburg, Ian Crocker and Gerry Rodrigues will be conducting a 2-day Masters & Triathlete Camp with 1 on 1 session with Michael, Ian and/or Lenny. I guess Gerry is too important for 1 on 1ís :).

The clinic listed on their web site will be held at the Olympic Pool (Georgia Tech) in Atlanta on Saturday, June 17th and Sunday, June 18th, 2006.

lefty
April 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Should be noted that Gary Hall Jr has been doing this for a few years now...

samson
April 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
Gary's camps run year-round and are catered toward master swimmers:

http://www.theraceclub.net/swimming-fantasy-camps-create-yours.html

It's a luxury vacation for the whole family. While you attend swimming and strength training sessions throughout the week, there's plenty to do for the whole family at Cheeca Lodge & Spa. It's a good mix of training and improving swimming techniques while relaxing with the family in the Florida Keys.

Check out new photos from recent camps:

http://www.theraceclub.net/athlete-photos.php?clinic=14

rednicolas
April 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
You definitly should check the Race Club website (!www.theraceclub.net (http://www.theraceclub.net) ).

Swimming with the Stars is prabably pretty cool. But honestly, why are you going to this event (camp). For the swimming or the "Stars"?!

If you want THE swimming expierence and learn all about stroke technique, sprinting and training strategies, racing preparation & strategies, visualization techniques, and more - a Race Club Camp would probably be better for you.

Long live the Race Club!

Rob Copeland
April 21st, 2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by rednicolas
Swimming with the Stars is prabably pretty cool. But honestly, why are you going to this event (camp). For the swimming or the "Stars"?!

St. Nick,

I plan on going to the Swim With the Stars camp for the swimming AND the Stars.

It sounds like youíve attended the Race Club camp and I have checked out the Race Club site and while it sounds like a good camp with lots of additional activities, it seems a bit pricy. Have you attended the camp and if so was it worth the money?

rednicolas
April 27th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Rob,

Of course you're going for the swimming AND the stars. I more wanted to point out that you probably choose to do this camp because there gonna be all this world class swimmer and not because you got a good opportunity to work out. There's absolutly no doubt for me that the swimming with the Stars camp must be a good expierence too.

But I was more thinking about YOU. If you decide to go to a Race Club camp, YOU will be the most important part of the week. And there's a big chance that you will see, talk and swim with some "Stars" too.

I'm sure it worth all the money you'll spent for it. Read this post from Gary Hall Sr. (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?threadid=6046). Even if it seems to be a bit pricy, I'm sure you'll find possibilities to get it a bit less exprensive. You should talk to Gary's sister Bebe who organises all the camp stuff.

And you're right I was there in Islamorada. But I didn't do a regular camp because I went to Islamorada for several months to work with Jon Olsen and Andy Diechert. If you want I run through several camps. I wanted to find my way back to were I was in swimming in Islamorada and I did it. Even it was not as expensive for me as for other campers I think it worth all the money I spent over those months.

Let me know if you want/need more infos. Or just take me on MSN or write me an mail (rednicolas@hotmail.com).

Your friend in swimming,

rednicolas